Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #1

Isata 5 duallie to single conversion

I am looking for a 4x4 capable motorhome and I have been looking for an alternative to the Sprinter based models that only sleep two and the very expensive Expedition type vehicles. The Isata 5 with the Explorer package seems to be exactly what I’m looking for. My question is could the 28SS be converted to single rear wheel using something similar to what I have linked below? It seems that most of the Expedition type vehicles that are built on similar chassis’s use something very similar to this to enhance the traction and ground clearance.

https://www.buckstopinc.com/single-wheel-conversion.html
https://www.buckstopinc.com/single-w...onversion.html
Atlanta1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:41 PM   #2

Or this.....

https://nitrogearaxle.wordpress.com/
Old 04-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Commercial Member

The rear fender is fiberglass, so could always be cut to a larger opening. The front could be done just like they would with a bolt on fender application.

Interesting though that SO many people objected to the Promaster single rear wheel. It was always "what happens when one blows and you have all that weight and height profile with a blow out". Even though most vans are that way. So I should have guessed when when we do have a dually, someone will want to make them singles.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Well I am only repeating what I’ve seen with all the Overland vehicles I’ve read about in doing my research. They all are running a super single wheel setup. The consensus appears to be the dually doesn’t do as well off road as a super single. I would love to hear your opinion on this, as well as anyone else who wants to chime in. I do like the additional ground clearance and I have witnessed myself what can happen when a sharp rock becomes lodged between a dually tires. On the other hand I don’t want to spend any more money than I have to and perhaps a small lift kit is all that would be needed. I’m not planning on anything gnarly just forestry and BLM roads with moderate ruts and washes that could present an issue to a vehicle with a substantial overhang and minimal ground clearance. The Isata 5 Explorer package is exactly what I’m looking for and thank you for building it.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #5

Not sure, but the Kelderman full option air suspension for front and rear might provide some height adjustment when needed for off road.
slbco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Commercial Member

There is also Liquid Springs...I seem to think they have the ability to gain some clearance on demand, but not 100% sure.

I had to lol at "I don’t want to spend any more money than I have to". That seems to go against the mantra of all the guys that are doing those upgrades and lifts. Just look at the jeep world...

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #7

Funny this should come up, I was just looking at these guys over the weekend.

https://www.dbldesign.com/wheels-tires

https://www.dbldesign.com/single-wheel-conversion
Old 04-13-2020, 12:17 PM   #8

In my head, the biggest thing I have a hard time getting past is the tire availability "problem". If I am out in the world and something happens to a 225/70-19.5, I feel pretty confident that getting another one will be easy-ish just because it's pretty common. A 335/80-20 on the other hand? ....man, I can't imagine anyone has one of those "sitting on the shelf".
Old 04-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #9

There by is I5DS with full Kelderman air suspension with adjustable height. I think it can temporary increase ride height by 6" to clear obstacles. Can not drive any distance when raised as this changes drivetrain geometry.

As owners know, the levers and generator exhaust are the lowest points underneath that inhibit going off road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbco View Post
Not sure, but the Kelderman full option air suspension for front and rear might provide some height adjustment when needed for off road.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #10

I was an automotive machinist for 33 years. Don't like the idea of setting the wheels out too far on a vehicle that carries a heavy load. It creates overload on the outer bearings. As far as single conversion, we did it to my sons 2000 F-350 dually cab and chassis. The only thing that had to be done was get F-350 single wheels, remove the adapters from the front hubs that puts the offset dually wheel centered over the hub bearings. When those were removed the studs were there to bolt on the single wheels like a single wheel truck. Most trucks are not that easy, you have to check into whose done it to your type of truck. I toured Earth Roamer and asked the owner about their conversion on the F-550 chassis and the wheels are different from front to rear. So check into the type of vehicle your working with.
Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #11

I have given your question considerable thought before responding. When the Isata 5 was first introduced, I said wow, what a great idea. Four wheel drive, comfortable truck cab and the luxury of a MH.

And then, I started to think about length and ground clearance. Our off road experiences were out west on national grasslands and in Canada on logging trails. I recall one trail where the only way back out was to back out for miles. The Isata 5 28SS or any other rig in that class is not made for serious off-roading, even with a lift kit. Too much rear overhang, too much distance between front and back wheels that limit ground clearance. You would be stopped at the first creek bed you had to cross. Then there is body/chassis rigidity, fiberglass construction and center of gravity. There is a fair chance that the trails you plan to cover have never seen a MH. There is a significant difference between logging trucks, 4-wheel drive vehicle make for off road and a 4-wheel drive luxury motor home.

When we were doing this, we had a very heavy duty 4x4 single cab long-bed pickup with 12 wides front and rear hauling a 10.5' slide in. The camper was attached directly to the chassis by chains to bars coming out from under the box to prevent the box from breaking loose. Great clearance but there were times the center of gravity was in question. At times, we were over 30 miles off a main road and the closest civilization was a logging camp. On a couple of trips, we pulled a small boat and trailer, bending the axle on one trip and breaking the trailer suspension on another because of ground clearance and trail conditions. As nice as the Isata 5 is, it would not have handled those trails. And even if it could, I would be mad at my money to do it.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:12 PM   #12

I don’t think that a conventional class C could tolerate the amount of chassis flex either. Earth Roamer uses a solid balsa core fiberglass construction with a centered rear mount built to pivot to not transfer flex into the coach. A truck with a slide in camper can handle this type of flex with the cab and box able to be separate. My son has put together a 2000 F-350 with a slide in on a flatbed.
Bronco Carl is offline   Reply With Quote