Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #1

Isata 5 Heat pump question

It's been in the single digits here in NC this week. We've just returned from 10 days in FL, it was cold in FL and both my rooftop heat units worked fine. When I tried to turn them on last night here at home, they won't come on.

Do they have a temperature range at which they will not work? Is it too cold for them to work? I would have thought that they had heat strips in them.

I had to put the furnace on last night and used 1/4 of a tank of propane in a single night.

Any ideas? I checked the breakers and the fuses and all are ok. I tried to turn on the fans only (from auto to low) and they both come on.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

Dual Roof-Mount and Ducted 15,000-BTU Air Conditioners with Heat-Pumps

Sounds like you have 2 of what I have. I was told they will not work at or below freezing.
TnG2291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

Heat pumps will not work below 32 degrees in an RV or at home. AUX heat strips must be installed. Apparently, your RV doesn't have heat strips and does not surprise me. A Minimum 5 kw heat strips require a 30 amp circuit just for the heat. Turn on the furnace.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:44 PM   #4

My two heat pumps will not work when the temps are around 40. It will imidiately default to the furnace.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
My two heat pumps will not work when the temps are around 40. It will imidiately default to the furnace.
My experience as well. I keep a pair of small space heaters in the coach for such temperatures but sometimes there is no substitute for your propane furnace.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #6

The manual says the inhibit temperature default setting is 44 deg F. and this has been my experience as well. Heat pump will stop working around that temperature and the furnace will come on. Only issue with this is that the temperature sensor is in the AC/heat pump. In our unit once the furnace comes on the fan in the AC stops so the hot air from furnace has get to the temperature sensor by convention into a closed space. This leads to a very warm RV. We normally have to put the set temperature around 64 when the furnace is on to have the RV comfortable.

For the Brian: Is the AC fan supposed to come on when the furnace comes on so that it moves the air past the sensor?

We also use one or two small electric heaters when we are plugged in rather than the furnace to save propane. This is fine down to about freezing. Then you have to worry about the pipes underneath since furnace is what blows warm air into the bays. I am plan to put in a switch so that I can power the furnace fan when I am using the electric heaters to take care of this.

Tags
pump