Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #1

Isata 5 outdoor TV and Soundbar

New 30fw has a Connex SB26 Soundbar that won't play TV. Dealer is getting a replacement but I wanted to try an optical cable connection. Current set up is with red and white RCA input Jacks for TV audio.

Has anyone else had any issues with TV audio?
Also, how do you get to the back of the TV??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201221_202534923.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	245001   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201221_202321072.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	245002  
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I can’t see for sure, but are you certain the existing red and white plugs are in the proper location?

Does the sound bar make any sound for anything at all?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #3

The outdoor TV access is in the bathroom lower cabinet. I think you could fish an optical cable down to where the sound bar is located. From the outside you lift up on the TV to release the friction tabs holding it in place. My 2021 does not have the sound bar.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
Norwood Auto Italia

I have done that mod to a similar installation on my Renegade and it made no difference to the sound volume or quality. I think that for optical sound to be effective you need very quiet, high quality speakers capable of putting out 20,000 Hz which although most of us cannot hear that spectrum, it gives a better sense of voice clarity. Similarly with the bottom end which voice bars are hardly equipped to offer.

But as an alternative source because of a I/O or cable fail - its worth a try.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Norwood Auto Italia

I presume you recognize that the sound bar must have power to operate and in your picture, the power is disconnected? Presumably just for the access?
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
The outdoor TV access is in the bathroom lower cabinet. I think you could fish an optical cable down to where the sound bar is located. From the outside you lift up on the TV to release the friction tabs holding it in place. My 2021 does not have the sound bar.
What do you mean by "friction tabs"?? Velcro?
Old 12-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I have done that mod to a similar installation on my Renegade and it made no difference to the sound volume or quality. I think that for optical sound to be effective you need very quiet, high quality speakers capable of putting out 20,000 Hz which although most of us cannot hear that spectrum, it gives a better sense of voice clarity. Similarly with the bottom end which voice bars are hardly equipped to offer.

But as an alternative source because of a I/O or cable fail - its worth a try.
I wasnt looking for an improvement in sound...just poking around in the new unit trying to fix or figure things out
Old 12-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I presume you recognize that the sound bar must have power to operate and in your picture, the power is disconnected? Presumably just for the access?
Yes...its a tight fit
Old 12-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
Not Velcro. There are hard plastic tabs connecting in a metal mounting bracket like the bedroom TV.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
My outside TV was mounted directly to back of the bay with screws that were only accessible through the vanity in the bathroom. You have to remove the panel to the right of the vanity door to get the left-most screws. Mine did not mount like the bedroom TV with post and wall bracket. Someone should be holding the TV when the screws are loosened.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #11
Commercial Member

You also need to check the TV settings. TV speakers should be off and output enabled...don't recall off the top of my head but there are a couple of different places you need to make sure it is set up correctly for the output.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
My outside TV was mounted directly to back of the bay with screws that were only accessible through the vanity in the bathroom. You have to remove the panel to the right of the vanity door to get the left-most screws. Mine did not mount like the bedroom TV with post and wall bracket. Someone should be holding the TV when the screws are loosened.
That is probably right, just thinking about the bedroom mount. My outside TV was not level and I removed the panel referenced and found one of the bolts was missing holding the TV mount. I replaced the missing bolt and used the right size length bolts as they used a bunch of washers to take up the space in the bolts that were too long.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A425FA66-3CB8-4397-926F-0DFCAA938BF5.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	245014   Click image for larger version

Name:	266C4FC5-CC06-4F62-AF26-8DA5B837EF3F.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	245015  
Old 12-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You also need to check the TV settings. TV speakers should be off and output enabled...don't recall off the top of my head but there are a couple of different places you need to make sure it is set up correctly for the output.
obviously my dealer didnt know the settings 2 weeks ago, because they told me they ordered a new replacement soundbar because it wasnt working....... :-(

I will play with TV menus to see if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Old 12-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #14

Looks like I am not going to try taking the TV off to access the optical cable. Instead I will play with the TV audio settings as BC suggested. If that doesnt work, the dealer will need to resolve this with the new soundbar.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Make sure it is not a swivel/telescopic mount as well...we have been trying to source and test a thin mount for that.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Make sure it is not a swivel/telescopic mount as well...we have been trying to source and test a thin mount for that.
Bryan......

Most, I repeat, most televisions come with a plastic wrap across the entire television screen during the shipping phase to protect the screen. It sometimes indicates the power consumption of the television.
Could the Dynamax installers affix the TV mount instructions to the television?

If you’re constantly changing equipment in the assembly plant, it might help identify which mounting bracket each customer ends up with.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #17

Poked around some more after the suggestions here and looked again at the Quick installation guide that came with the RV. No luck, although I think I found the problem...

running my hand along the left side of the TV(facing it), I can "feel" the various plugs (outputs) identified on the spec sheet, with the top one being the 3.5mm Analog Audio Out jack. It appears that the cable that leads to the Soundbar should originate there....but it didnt get plugged in, unless it was plugged into the rear somewhere.
The cable with the 2 RCA jacks plugged into the TV Audio In on the soundbar leads up behind the TV and is jammed in there tight.....so I cant do anything about it since I am not able physically to disassemble the TV from the wall. Its probably bolted on since I dont feel any clearance between it and the wall.
I may dig out an optical cable if I have a spare and try hooking that up to test.....

BTW written instructions say to turn Digital Audio to PCM in Settings, but my TV doesnt have that option. Although I did turn off speakers on TV.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #18

Outside TV Articulating Arm...
Posted on another thread but reposting here.

Also, one of my top 5 fav mods!

Crimson-AV AU42 World's Thinnest Articulating Mount for 13-46 Inch TVs

https://www.firefold.com/products/au42

Lined the inside of hatch door with this:

Marine Upholstery Durable Un-Backed Automotive Trim Carpet 72" x 36" Mini Roll (Black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SG24KY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6767.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	245028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6768.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	472.9 KB
ID:	245029  

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Poked around some more after the suggestions here and looked again at the Quick installation guide that came with the RV. No luck, although I think I found the problem...

running my hand along the left side of the TV(facing it), I can "feel" the various plugs (outputs) identified on the spec sheet, with the top one being the 3.5mm Analog Audio Out jack. It appears that the cable that leads to the Soundbar should originate there....but it didnt get plugged in, unless it was plugged into the rear somewhere.
The cable with the 2 RCA jacks plugged into the TV Audio In on the soundbar leads up behind the TV and is jammed in there tight.....so I cant do anything about it since I am not able physically to disassemble the TV from the wall. Its probably bolted on since I dont feel any clearance between it and the wall.
I may dig out an optical cable if I have a spare and try hooking that up to test.....

BTW written instructions say to turn Digital Audio to PCM in Settings, but my TV doesnt have that option. Although I did turn off speakers on TV.
Sometimes that setting does not appear until the TV speakers are off.

Tags
door, outdoor tv