Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

Isata 5 problems anyone?

We bought our brand new 2019 I5 in Aug and before we got it home, the toilet paper holder was on the floor and one of the blinds had fallen down.
The tech that did the PDI explained to me when I picked it up that the pullout legs were too short, so he crafted up some wooden blocks in case we needed to use it.
The first night we used it, the batteries went low enough that the multi function screen went blank and had to manually start the generator.
The first time using the shower, it leaked water from under the lower cover.
We cut the trip short and decided to return back to our home town. On the way home, one of the drawers flew open and broke out a piece of the wood cabinetry.

Once we were home, I tried to open the slide and it would not work. We called the dealer, and booked it in to get the repairs done at end of September.

We were called to inform us that the harness had failed and the multi function screen should be moved to remedy the problem.

The bathroom door was also not mounted correctly, the staples used on the walls were not covered properly, and numerous screws used were stripped out.

We were also informed that one of the outside speakers did not work and was being repaired.
We still do not have it back, and have had to change our plans to so some travelling this winter.
I know RVs have some snags, but is this normal? My wife now wants nothing to do with it and neither Forest River or the dealer wants no part of taking it back.

Really not sure what to do with our new "luxury" RV that we laid almost 200k for. (Cdn pricing)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMIsata5 View Post
We bought our brand new 2019 I5 in Aug and before we got it home, the toilet paper holder was on the floor and one of the blinds had fallen down.
The tech that did the PDI explained to me when I picked it up that the pullout legs were too short, so he crafted up some wooden blocks in case we needed to use it.
The first night we used it, the batteries went low enough that the multi function screen went blank and had to manually start the generator.
The first time using the shower, it leaked water from under the lower cover.
We cut the trip short and decided to return back to our home town. On the way home, one of the drawers flew open and broke out a piece of the wood cabinetry.

Once we were home, I tried to open the slide and it would not work. We called the dealer, and booked it in to get the repairs done at end of September.

We were called to inform us that the harness had failed and the multi function screen should be moved to remedy the problem.

The bathroom door was also not mounted correctly, the staples used on the walls were not covered properly, and numerous screws used were stripped out.

We were also informed that one of the outside speakers did not work and was being repaired.
We still do not have it back, and have had to change our plans to so some travelling this winter.
I know RVs have some snags, but is this normal? My wife now wants nothing to do with it and neither Forest River or the dealer wants no part of taking it back.

Really not sure what to do with our new "luxury" RV that we laid almost 200k for. (Cdn pricing)
We have had very few issues with our 2018 Isata 36DS 4x4. The systems in the Isata 5's are very complex and most selling dealers are not totally familiar with them. People on this forum will be your best source to get information and help with some of your issues. As for your low batteries, if you have the residential refrigerator and you were running off your inverter, that is probably the cause. If the generator didn't start automatically, your AGS was probably not set up or turned on. Did the selling dealer go over these things with you? Also, the coach batteries must be well charged (along with either the generator, shore power on or engine running) to have enough D.C. Voltage and capacity to operate the slideouts.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
We have had very few issues with our 2018 Isata 36DS 4x4. The systems in the Isata 5's are very complex and most selling dealers are not totally familiar with them. People on this forum will be your best source to get information and help with some of your issues. As for your low batteries, if you have the residential refrigerator and you were running off your inverter, that is probably the cause. If the generator didn't start automatically, your AGS was probably not set up or turned on. Did the selling dealer go over these things with you? Also, the coach batteries must be well charged (along with either the generator, shore power on or engine running) to have enough D.C. Voltage and capacity to operate the slideouts.
The battery issue and the slide issue are related to the wiring harness being rubbed through.
The inverter has never been used.
Previous to that, the slide opened on battery power only with no problem.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1. Who was your servicing dealer? Same as the selling dealer?
2. Shoot me the last 8 of your VIN and I can take a look at the file.

As for the issues you mention, its hard to know without being there, but I will give you what I know.
1. We don't typically install the toilet paper holder as we never know where someone prefers. That could have been a dealer install, but I also asked them to start installing them, but easy fix either way.

2. The adjustable pull-out legs were back-ordered from our supplier. Dealers are aware that we have them in stock now and there is no reason they couldn't have had them ordered and installed prior to delivery, but again I can check on the details as to the timing. We order a flush floor sofa on all models, we just install the adjustable legs on the ones with slide floors.

3. Electric is like water or fuel...it is a resource that must be managed. So the batteries going low is going to happen unless you are plugged into a power supply. They are only meant to run the 12V appliances and inverted circuits (on a limited basis if dry camping). If you have a residential fridge and are not plugged in, you might not even get 8 hours depending on what else you are using, the temp, and whether they were fully charged to begin with. During the dealer walk through, they should have shown you how to set the Auto Gen start. If that was enabled, then the gen would start when the batteries got low.

4. What drawer flew open? what was in it? The soft close, self latching drawer guides have a little switch on them that enables that function. Sometimes when the drawer is tweaked that little switch can become disabled....or the slides don't engage.

5. If the batteries were allowed to get low enough to cut out the panel, they could have also lost the slide stops. Before operating the slides, the E-brake should be on and the engine running to make sure the batteries have full power. Thread for that is here http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ax-177485.html and we are just wrapping up a video on the same subject. Hope to post that next week.

6. I don't know what they mean by "harness failed" as I explain low voltage can trigger many different warnings. The only thing that connects to the multi-touch panel is a CAT5 data cable. Even with that touch screen off, our Isata 5 has redundant systems. IE, you can still control everything via Smart Phone APP, the hard switches or the main control panel that has the fuses in it so you're not stranded.

7. I'm not sure what you mean by the bathroom door not being mounted properly? Heat and humidity as well as cold can cause issues for staples (not so much screws...if those were stripped, that is on us). So I'm not sure if the door needed adjusted or didn't latch. Sometimes if the vehicle is not level they may not latch as well.

My apologies about the issues you are having....and by no means am I trying to diminish or deflect them. It appears that some of these can be corrected with education and/or training on their operation. The bulk of the items, most techs could correct in 30 minutes or less.

Should they happen? No, But it doesn't look like any of them are major (frustrating? absolutely). I'll dig in and see what I can find out.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 01-31-2019, 11:03 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
The battery issue and the slide issue are related to the wiring harness being rubbed through.
The inverter has never been used.
Previous to that, the slide opened on battery power only with no problem.
For sure, read this thread. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ax-177485.html I think I explain the reason for the gen or engine.

Also, can you confirm what type of fridge you have? Absorption (Dometic) or residential (Frigidaire...maybe Whirlpool)

Old 01-31-2019, 11:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. Who was your servicing dealer? Same as the selling dealer?
2. Shoot me the last 8 of your VIN and I can take a look at the file.

As for the issues you mention, its hard to know without being there, but I will give you what I know.
1. We don't typically install the toilet paper holder as we never know where someone prefers. That could have been a dealer install, but I also asked them to start installing them, but easy fix either way.

2. The adjustable pull-out legs were back-ordered from our supplier. Dealers are aware that we have them in stock now and there is no reason they couldn't have had them ordered and installed prior to delivery, but again I can check on the details as to the timing. We order a flush floor sofa on all models, we just install the adjustable legs on the ones with slide floors.

3. Electric is like water or fuel...it is a resource that must be managed. So the batteries going low is going to happen unless you are plugged into a power supply. They are only meant to run the 12V appliances and inverted circuits (on a limited basis if dry camping). If you have a residential fridge and are not plugged in, you might not even get 8 hours depending on what else you are using, the temp, and whether they were fully charged to begin with. During the dealer walk through, they should have shown you how to set the Auto Gen start. If that was enabled, then the gen would start when the batteries got low.

4. What drawer flew open? what was in it? The soft close, self latching drawer guides have a little switch on them that enables that function. Sometimes when the drawer is tweaked that little switch can become disabled....or the slides don't engage.

5. If the batteries were allowed to get low enough to cut out the panel, they could have also lost the slide stops. Before operating the slides, the E-brake should be on and the engine running to make sure the batteries have full power. Thread for that is here http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ax-177485.html and we are just wrapping up a video on the same subject. Hope to post that next week.

6. I don't know what they mean by "harness failed" as I explain low voltage can trigger many different warnings. The only thing that connects to the multi-touch panel is a CAT5 data cable. Even with that touch screen off, our Isata 5 has redundant systems. IE, you can still control everything via Smart Phone APP, the hard switches or the main control panel that has the fuses in it so you're not stranded.

7. I'm not sure what you mean by the bathroom door not being mounted properly? Heat and humidity as well as cold can cause issues for staples (not so much screws...if those were stripped, that is on us). So I'm not sure if the door needed adjusted or didn't latch. Sometimes if the vehicle is not level they may not latch as well.

My apologies about the issues you are having....and by no means am I trying to diminish or deflect them. It appears that some of these can be corrected with education and/or training on their operation. The bulk of the items, most techs could correct in 30 minutes or less.

Should they happen? No, But it doesn't look like any of them are major (frustrating? absolutely). I'll dig in and see what I can find out.
The selling and servicing dealer is Grove RV in Spruce Grove Alberta.
Last 8 is KC002517

Obviously the dealer decide the control screen harness failed, because they moved it out of the slide and repaired the hole from what I understand.

The bottom drawer under the stove opened while driving. It had a couple pots, and a frying pan in it.

The bathroom door had a huge gap under one side and no gap on other side.

I also forgot to mention that my wife opened a drawer in the rear bedroom and could see the ground through a gaping hole where wires had been run from the chassis to the RV body. I could stick most of my hang through it. I went to the local HW store and grabbed some expanding foam to seal it up.

I also forgot to mention that the shower surround was cracked and has to be replaced.
I honestly don't recall the model of the fridge, as I have not seen the RV for over 4 months while it has been at the dealer.

Thank you for looking at this for us. It's tough when you use retirement funds to buy something like this and it's been nothing but a disappointment.

Just a FYI, we have had numerous RVs in the past and have never encountered anything like this.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
The selling and servicing dealer is Grove RV in Spruce Grove Alberta.
Last 8 is KC002517

Obviously the dealer decide the control screen harness failed, because they moved it out of the slide and repaired the hole from what I understand.

The bottom drawer under the stove opened while driving. It had a couple pots, and a frying pan in it.

The bathroom door had a huge gap under one side and no gap on other side.

I also forgot to mention that my wife opened a drawer in the rear bedroom and could see the ground through a gaping hole where wires had been run from the chassis to the RV body. I could stick most of my hang through it. I went to the local HW store and grabbed some expanding foam to seal it up.

I also forgot to mention that the shower surround was cracked and has to be replaced.
I honestly don't recall the model of the fridge, as I have not seen the RV for over 4 months while it has been at the dealer.

Thank you for looking at this for us. It's tough when you use retirement funds to buy something like this and it's been nothing but a disappointment.

Just a FYI, we have had numerous RVs in the past and have never encountered anything like this.
I got a few more details...I think I was already involved in this one. I just didn't have a name.

We have been working with Grove pretty closely on this. It looks like everything was done except for the shower surround. We had to wait for one to arrive in the proper color and then due to size it had to be freighted. That shipped on Jan 5th and should be in their hands.

As a side note, it appears the dealer has tried multiple options to reduce the amount of downtime. It looks like we suggested you could caulk over that crack since it is high up and use the motorhome until the surround came in, but you declined, requesting that all items be fixed before you pick back up, which is fair. It then appears that the dealer registered one of their other Class C's to provide as a loaner so you did not miss any trips, but that was also declined because it was not 4x4 like the motorhome you purchased.

As for the touch panel, the "length of data cable" was the issue. Over a long run, there can be voltage drop. In a wiring harness we have to determine the length of the wires as they are "pre-built". Sometimes we end up tweaking those lengths (longer or shorter) That data cable was too long and there was enough voltage drop to cause intermittent issues. So moving the touch screen panel closer to the main board was the decision that was made. We have seen this before and normally we can cut 12" or so off of the wire and attach a new end, but maybe that was not an option in this case.

Again my apologies for the issues you have experienced. It does seem like the dealer has done their best to expedite repairs and also offer up alternatives during the repair process.

Your fridge is in fact a 9 cubic foot absorption fridge. So that would be the best case for power usage. In lower temps, batteries will struggle to maintain their charge, so I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the auto gen start so the low batteries do not happen again.

I'll see if we can make that one of our next tutorial videos. There have been questions about that from a few people.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with. It looks like the last item, (shower surround) should be complete shortly, if not already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surround.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	195907  

Old 02-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

I have been reminded more than once that I was offered a loaner...thanks again.

I think it is more than fair to ask for a equivalent loaner when we paid almost 200,000.00 and have never had the opportunity to use it.

I'm not sure 4 months of downtime is very acceptable.

I will say our confidence level is extremely low at this point.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
Commercial Member

I agree it is fair to ask, an equivalent simply doesn't exist. I believe we are the only mfg in North America that builds a 4x4. I also agree that 4 months of downtime is not acceptable. That is why they offered to seal the shower as a temporary fix, unless there is another crack, it appears to be just the top 2". The vehicle could have been used. I will follow up with them to see if the shower repair is complete.

I do have confirmation that the surround has delivered.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
I agree it is fair to ask, an equivalent simply doesn't exist. I believe we are the only mfg in North America that builds a 4x4. I also agree that 4 months of downtime is not acceptable. That is why they offered to seal the shower as a temporary fix, unless there is another crack, it appears to be just the top 2". The vehicle could have been used. I will follow up with them to see if the shower repair is complete.

I do have confirmation that the surround has delivered.
I completely agree with you...another manufacturer should be building a 4x4 model in North America.
If these are in demand, then our best option would probably to try and sell it in to the US. It is brand new after all.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #11

NMIsata5,

I really do understand your disappointment. We have the first Isata 5 4X4 that came off the line. We have had a few issues with it, but many of the them we just figured out how to fix ourselves. What we couldn't we tried to get the selling dealer to fix, which was a joke. Fortunately for us a local Forest River dealer, not a Dynamax dealer, agreed to work with us and after about a year we seem to have our punch list worked out.

The overall quality and serviceability of these motorhomes is very good. The fact that you have the General Manager of Dynamax personally involved in working to resolve your issues should tell you a lot. I doubt there is another company in the industry where you would get that level of service. We had another brand for a short period of time prior to purchasing our I5 and I'll tell you, we were totally ignored by both the dealer and the manufacturer for some major issues with a brand new motorhome. You were offered a loaner??? Wow! That is over and above anything I had been offered. If I had been made that offer I would have taken them up on it an used the heck out that motorhome...no 4X4...so what? Free use of a high end motorhome?? I think your emotions may have clouded your judgment on that one.

Be patient. Brian Clemons will see to it you get everything taken care of...I'd put money on it.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbros View Post
NMIsata5,

I really do understand your disappointment. We have the first Isata 5 4X4 that came off the line. We have had a few issues with it, but many of the them we just figured out how to fix ourselves. What we couldn't we tried to get the selling dealer to fix, which was a joke. Fortunately for us a local Forest River dealer, not a Dynamax dealer, agreed to work with us and after about a year we seem to have our punch list worked out.

The overall quality and serviceability of these motorhomes is very good. The fact that you have the General Manager of Dynamax personally involved in working to resolve your issues should tell you a lot. I doubt there is another company in the industry where you would get that level of service. We had another brand for a short period of time prior to purchasing our I5 and I'll tell you, we were totally ignored by both the dealer and the manufacturer for some major issues with a brand new motorhome. You were offered a loaner??? Wow! That is over and above anything I had been offered. If I had been made that offer I would have taken them up on it an used the heck out that motorhome...no 4X4...so what? Free use of a high end motorhome?? I think your emotions may have clouded your judgment on that one.

Be patient. Brian Clemons will see to it you get everything taken care of...I'd put money on it.
Thanks for the input.

If you would be willing to cross the Rocky Mountains in January with a rear wheel drive motorhome and all season tires, then you are far more bold than I.
I'm not sure that's even legal.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #13

Just need to carry chains to be legal. Semis do it every day. I did it in Feb as well. Obviously choosing the correct day to travel based on weather conditions is a must.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #14

Agreed....the day and time of travel would determine whether I would do that or not, but maybe just change the destination?

Everyone has their own line of reasoning but mine goes kind of like this. They have my motorhome. If I have their motorhome and am putting miles and use on it, maybe they would be more motivated to get mine back to me sooner...just a thought.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Agreed....the day and time of travel would determine whether I would do that or not, but maybe just change the destination?

Everyone has their own line of reasoning but mine goes kind of like this. They have my motorhome. If I have their motorhome and am putting miles and use on it, maybe they would be more motivated to get mine back to me sooner...just a thought.
My reasoning is that we spent 200,000.00 on a brand new 4wd motorhome so it could be used when road conditions were bad enough that a 2wd would be unsafe.
I guess shame on me for having high standards. Forest River won't help, Grove RV won't help, I guess there are only a couple avenues left.
It's been 6 months since we purchased this unit, and have not been able to use it.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
My reasoning is that we spent 200,000.00 on a brand new 4wd motorhome so it could be used when road conditions were bad enough that a 2wd would be unsafe.
I guess shame on me for having high standards. Forest River won't help, Grove RV won't help, I guess there are only a couple avenues left.
It's been 6 months since we purchased this unit, and have not been able to use it.
But Dynamax is helping. Please correct me if I am wrong, but everything has been fixed except for the shower surround. Grove has offered to seal that area up (2-3" crack at that back corner), let you use the motorhome as much as you want and then bring it back when the surround came in (or bring it in when the off season hits, whenever that may be) and we can correct it then.

I understand you declined that option, but the surround is in now and should be installed shortly. So is there something else specific that we are not helping on?

Old 02-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #17

Quote:
But Dynamax is helping. Please correct me if I am wrong, but everything has been fixed except for the shower surround. Grove has offered to seal that area up (2-3" crack at that back corner), let you use the motorhome as much as you want and then bring it back when the surround came in (or bring it in when the off season hits, whenever that may be) and we can correct it then.

I understand you declined that option, but the surround is in now and should be installed shortly. So is there something else specific that we are not helping on?
A couple weeks ago I asked if I could pick it up, and the answer was no, it was tore down for repair.
Here is where it seems to get cloudy for everyone.
How is it ok to build a product that you can sell for 200,000.00 and then it doesn't work to a point where the customer can't use it for 6 months?
And then go on a public forum and make the customer feel like they shouldn't complain, because "your trying so hard to make me happy".
What happened to our "standards"? This is not ok. I never signed up for a R&D program.
Forest River failed me as soon as I drove off the lot and my expensive luxury RV started to fall apart. If I go buy a 100,000.00 pickup, which does exist in Canada, it won't fall apart...and if it does give me problems, the dealer will give me a suitable loaner until it is repaired in a few days, not months.
So say all you want that your looking after me...I paid the money, which earns me the right to voice my disappointment.
I hope the admins of this sight give me the opportunity to maybe let others know that the sun doesn't set on Forest River and they do have problems. If nothing else maybe I can help another customer to not have to go through this.
My wife is heart broken that this is what it has come to when you have expectations.
Please don't shame me because I am not patient...I have been patient.
I finally had Grove RV convinced that maybe we should get our money back and get in with life, but now they won't refund my 9000.00 in sales tax for a unit that we have never used.
What has this world come to that customers get run over by big business. It's just not right.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #18
Commercial Member

I agree, you have every right to voice your disappointment. I don't think I have ever asked you not to, or tried to make you feel guilty for it. I also want to help prevent a customer from going through this...that is why I am here. That means being very clear with what we are doing to help rectify your situation. I am not doing that to make you feel guilty or shame you, but to let a potential customer know how they would be handled and then they can make their own decisions on whether or not our response is appropriate.

I don't know of very many dealers that offer a loaner for service coaches. Grove RV did (and I commend them for that)...the only other one I know of was not service, but AS Levesqe in eastern Canada, offered a loaner to a customer who's order was delayed (a really long time due to chassis shortage). Not to say it does't happen, just that these are the only ones I have personally been involved with.

I was the sales rep for Canadream (tourism company all over Canada) for a decade. We built 4x2 Class C's on the E450 and they actually rent them in the winter for skiers. My profile picture is one of those trips, crossing Alberta in January to different ski hills. We had no tow vehicle, just that Class C where we camped at night in the parking lot. I just want people to be aware that 4x4 is the exception, not the norm. For years people have been taking trips in the winter in 4x2's, in fact its a thriving business for Canadream. Proper planning is important of course, but winter is no reason to hang up the RV. 4x2 or 4x4.

I understand that tone and tenor can't be conveyed in text or email. I had asked my Customer Service manager to give you a call, but it looks like we had a bad area code. We finally got the correct one in the system and it appears you have spoken.

At the end of the day, all we want is to make sure the vehicle is working as expected as quickly as possible. Sometimes we have to think outside the box to minimize down time and we're always willing to be as flexible as possible in that regard.

You're welcome to post about your experience as long as you like. I will keep my responses to just answering technical questions.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #19

I am really starting to understand. Everyone I have talked to from the dealership, to Forest River staff, including the customer service manager has basically told me that my expectations are too high.

I guess that's my fault. Lesson learned...don't buy a Forest River product if you want timely service. That is the message loud and clear.

We had plans to use this new Motorhome this winter, but to no avail. And yes, please remind me again how I was offered a loaner that wasn't anything like what we bought.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #20

Quote:
... we tried to get the selling dealer to fix, which was a joke...after about a year we seem to have our punch list worked out...The fact that you have the General Manager of Dynamax personally involved in working to resolve your issues should tell you a lot.
Quote:
...Again my apologies for the issues you have experienced. It does seem like the dealer has done their best to expedite repairs and also offer up alternatives during the repair process.

My apologies about the issues you are having....and by no means am I trying to diminish or deflect them.
Yes, Brian takes customer service seriously, and I applaud his efforts and agree that few Sr. leaders would undertake the efforts Brian has made to collect and address customer pre and post questions and issues.

But that does not excuse poor delivered product quality at this price point. While the BB's always have "horror stories" which are over-represented by frustrated customers. I fully agree with NMIsata5 in that this never should have happened, but it does sound like everyone involved tried to the best of their ability to assist.

Brian, it might be a good idea to look at adjusting the warranty policy to "stop the warranty expiration clock" when a unit is in for warranty repairs that take over 1 month or so. When a unit spends X months unusable, that owner should get an Xmonth warranty extension. Isn't that reasonable?

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Closed Thread