Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #1

Isata 5 rear bumper

Anyone put a solid rear bumper on an Isata5 ?
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #2

Sort of surprised no one has commented on this. Maybe I'm missing something, but from looking around under the back end of my Isata-5 I don't see anything other than a molded fiberglass shell that appears would pretty much crumple with the slightest rear end collision. A steel rear bumper solidly attached to the frame seems would be a good idea. Looks like it would be a relatively easy fab job. Nothing comes up when I search aftermarket.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #3
Commercial Member

I'm surprised that you are surprised. Most people have a tow vehicle behind, so that would get hit first. Also most vehicles are some plastic or fiberglass over steel.

This is what is sitting behind that fiberglass. a decent amount of steel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	119516357_1733007406864125_6799318800848185629_o.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	239411  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

As I believe you know Brian, I have an Isata 5 36DS. Not sure what the photo is of what you posted and more importantly it doesn't relate to the body which is what I am concerned about. On mine, the back of the coach is fiberglass. I can grab a hold of where the molded bumper looking fiberglass is and wiggle it in and out and inch + easily. It isn't attached to any steel, and like I said, it would crumple easily. I'd say there is a good foot between it, and the steel of the frame. And at that, the main frame rails have no rear body part attached. The closest thing that might handle some impact is the receiver and associated cross member, which is way too late. As far as a tow vehicle being the bumper, maybe, if you have a tow vehicle, and that's a big if. I wouldn't think a manufacturer would even consider that. And it's nothing to do with my point. As it looks now, the slightest impact to the rear of this coach, and if nothing else, you'd be looking at a lot of fiberglass repair. So, yes, I was surprised, and am no less so now, considering there is no rear bumper on this Isata 5. But maybe that's the nature of the motor home industry. It's all new to me. I was sort of assuming others had come upon some aftermarket ideas on the subject. There is plenty of chat on front bumpers, and many other things. I guess it is what it is, and if I am concerned enough, I will figure out a solution.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
As I believe you know Brian, I have an Isata 5 36DS. Not sure what the photo is of what you posted and more importantly it doesn't relate to the body which is what I am concerned about. On mine, the back of the coach is fiberglass. I can grab a hold of where the molded bumper looking fiberglass is and wiggle it in and out and inch + easily. It isn't attached to any steel, and like I said, it would crumple easily. I'd say there is a good foot between it, and the steel of the frame. And at that, the main frame rails have no rear body part attached. The closest thing that might handle some impact is the receiver and associated cross member, which is way too late. As far as a tow vehicle being the bumper, maybe, if you have a tow vehicle, and that's a big if. I wouldn't think a manufacturer would even consider that. And it's nothing to do with my point. As it looks now, the slightest impact to the rear of this coach, and if nothing else, you'd be looking at a lot of fiberglass repair. So, yes, I was surprised, and am no less so now, considering there is no rear bumper on this Isata 5. But maybe that's the nature of the motor home industry. It's all new to me. I was sort of assuming others had come upon some aftermarket ideas on the subject. There is plenty of chat on front bumpers, and many other things. I guess it is what it is, and if I am concerned enough, I will figure out a solution.
Ah, I actually did not know what coach you had. For some reason I thought you had one on order and were getting info in advance.

As a side note, if you add your coach and model year to your signature that will help as it will show up in every post.

Now that I know, yes...you have a full fiberglass rear cap. And yes, that is pretty much how the motorhome market is (at least on the higher end stuff). The rear end of what you are looking at, is a 30FW which is built the same as the 36DS, in regards to steel support...but your rear cap will stick out much further as you mentioned.

One of the things we have done on the new models (starting with the 28SS) is to build the cap in two parts. We have a top spoiler and then just a bolt on fiberglass cap for the bumper. We did this for the reason you mention...full fiberglass cap looks really cool, but a little bump and it is also really expensive to repair. We just think this will be more practical in the future. If you get a bumper issue, we hope we can paint a new one and just ship it. Much cheaper than trying to have a shop repair it. I know that does not fix your issue or question...but just that we have been listening.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #6

Well that all makes sense. Actually, I have tried to get the coach info, and a picture of my coach (and me relaxing) attached to the forum so it appears on the left side of the post, but so far I've been unsuccessful. I added the info, put it in my "garage", and still doesn't show up. I'm sure I am missing a check box somewhere but haven't really put that much effort into it. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #7

That info is entered in User CP
2016 JKUR
MToffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #8

OK. That's on desktop program. On my phone app that is under settings under top left hamburger. Android app. Can't say for brand x phones.
2016 JKUR
MToffroad is offline   Reply With Quote