Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Isata 5 Series (2019 Chassis) Park Brake Signal

As some of you know, the 2019 Ram chassis went to a CANbus system. As a result, where they tell us to get the park brake signal, ONLY works with the key in the ACC or ON position.

We were able to test out another location and get their approval to pull it from that spot instead.

Attached are the instructions. This is not a safety issue or recall, its just changing the way it functions, but we will provide the Y-harness at no cost.

Attached are the instructions and our part number.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Park Brake Interface Retrofit.pdf (658.6 KB, 236 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:31 AM   #2

Parking Brake Issue

Brian,
Thanks again for following thru on this issue. I assume I need to order the part now? Are these parts is stock now?

Mike
mike46383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Yes, just reach out to Dan Dobecki or parts person. Dan knows for sure, I think all the parts people do as well. I know we are ordering them for production now, not sure if we have a bulk supply on hand yet, but either way, I would get the order in.

https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us

Old 07-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #4

Appreciate your constant attention to standing behind your products. This will certainly save extra steps in the setup process.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
Commercial Member

My pleasure....while I found it to be a nuisance, I'm pretty easy going, and sometimes only ask once for a work around. After I saw others with the issue...well, I asked a little more "intently" for a work around.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #6

Will this work on the 2017 chassis?

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #7

Parking Brake Issue

This parking brake issue only applies to the 2020 RAM Chassis (I believe). RAM changed data bus for 2020 and that's what caused this issue. I have this problem with my new 2020 28SS chassis, I had a 2019 30FW that I traded in on the 28SS and it did not have this issue/problem.

sseaner, Hopefully BC will clarify this with with you but I don't believe you need this for your rig.
mike46383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #8

I have a 2019 Ram chassis and don't have this issue.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
I have a 2019 Ram chassis and don't have this issue.
I also have a 2019 and do have the issue? So you never have to turn your ignition on (not start, just activate with one push) in order to move your slide?

Odd that different chassis from the same year have different experiences?
Old 07-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #10

To move the slide, yes. Not the Equalizers. Parking brake is recognized in any ignition state.

I thought the engine had to be running to move the slide because you needed the extra boost from the alternator. If that is not necessary, its not big deal to me. I don't mind running the engine to move the slide. Being doing it that way for 6 months so I guess I just got used to it.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #11

Page 3 of the write-up “The slide out and leveling controls will now recognize park brake activation with start/ stop engine button in the off state.”

We always plug in or start the generator if no power available. Starting the RAM is a PITA, so this is a welcome change for us. You won’t have the Equalizer upset that the ignition is on.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
To move the slide, yes. Not the Equalizers. Parking brake is recognized in any ignition state.

I thought the engine had to be running to move the slide because you needed the extra boost from the alternator. If that is not necessary, its not big deal to me. I don't mind running the engine to move the slide. Being doing it that way for 6 months so I guess I just got used to it.
It didn't really bother me, I know how important it is to have the chassis running so if I forget something...I just reach back into the cab and hit the button and then proceed to operate with the phone app.

lol....I find it very interesting, like you, many people have just figure it out and adapt, and some have absolutely refused to tolerate "this obvious defect and safety issue". Their words not mine.

In any event, if we can make it better, we always strive to do so. Chassis running is still the highest voltage you can get.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:29 AM   #13
AF CMSGT RET

Question 1 problem

I have a 2020 28SS and cannot for the life of me figure out why the LED lights under the kitchen cabinet never turn off unless I hit the master lights power off switch. The accent lights on the top go off with the accent light switch but not the bottom???? suggestions??
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #14

Wire Harness

I hooked up this work around harness and found that the Remote Precision Plex App on my Iphone still needed the ignition to be on for it to work. The inside slide controls would work without ignition being on. I prefer to have outside control of my slide while operating. Have others experienced this as well? BTW the wire harness housing the green/white and black wire is just the standard black casing, no brown spiral tape to be found.
Wfieldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #15

Thanks for posting your experience. That’s disappointing that it doesn’t allow the Precision Plex to work in the same way. I think they have gone 100% to the Firefly system now and dropped PP, so maybe that is not a consideration?
Old 07-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #16

I’ve the 2019 chassis and just installed this workaround, everything was as the directions stated.

The PP connects but does not work the slide but the manual controls do. Apparently the PP slide control will only work with the ignition ‘on’?

Personally I would like to run both the level control then the slide with engine running with the e-brake on when boondocking, so as not to start the generator but would be violating the equalizer warranty to change the engine running lockout.

Eventually I will be upgrading to lithium and adding to the solar array which should alleviate the slide voltage issue but that mod will be more than a few months in our future.

Sigh, so many mods, so few bucks... 💸
Ursusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #17

I recently bought a “used” 2020 FW30 4x4 at an unbelievable low price with just over 5k miles 3wks ago and have used up much band width researching some issues that basically scared the previous owner into dropping it off at the lot. One of the issues is this Park Brake signal apparently now connected to the VSIM which goes into sleep mode. According to receipts left in the coach, the chassis had been to the dealer three times for the Park Brake Light randomly coming on while driving and the ESC light coming on which knocks out the cruise control. Dealer swears it’s something with the coach. This mod seems like it might eliminate that possibility, even though it’s a 2020 warranty is not transferable so it’s up to me and the internet to figure this out.
RACERX335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERX335 View Post
I recently bought a “used” 2020 FW30 4x4 at an unbelievable low price with just over 5k miles 3wks ago and have used up much band width researching some issues that basically scared the previous owner into dropping it off at the lot. One of the issues is this Park Brake signal apparently now connected to the VSIM which goes into sleep mode. According to receipts left in the coach, the chassis had been to the dealer three times for the Park Brake Light randomly coming on while driving and the ESC light coming on which knocks out the cruise control. Dealer swears it’s something with the coach. This mod seems like it might eliminate that possibility, even though it’s a 2020 warranty is not transferable so it’s up to me and the internet to figure this out.
The Ram warrantee should be transferable.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:30 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERX335 View Post
Luckily you are wrong on two counts (in a good way).

1. The warranty on the Ram is transferable.
2. It is up to "US" to figure out.

So as for the E-brake signal coming on, that has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is in regard to the E-brake signal NOT being sent without the key on. If you do a search for E-brake and Milkman55, I think he mentioned an issue where the E-Brake light was coming on in transit. The issue was that the E-brake itself was fairly loose (or heavy, however you want to look at it) and just by driving the light was coming on. The switch that starts the light up in the first place likely comes on with the very slightest pressure or bump of the E-brake. He putt a rubber band from the turn signal to the E-brake to keep it "help up" from resting on the switch.

As for the ESC coming on. I am hearing this more often. Again, Milkman55 had it in high winds. The winds were pushing the the coach, so he had ot turn the steering wheel slightly to keep it straight. Well, there are sensors in the wheel AND steering wheel. So those sensors thing that the wheel is turned and the tires are spinning in another direction.

Now, THAT is one scenario...but I have seen this happen in normal conditions. When we see it, it is because the steering wheel is not aligned. It just started popping up on the 2019, 2020 chassis. So I am guessing that you likely just need to have the steering wheel aligned. We thought maybe it was just on the units getting the air suspension and they were loosening it up, but we just had a stock coach with the steering wheel 2" from center. So check yours...maybe its 1" off, so not super noticeable, but still causing issues with the speeds/wheel sensors.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #20

What a memory....😀

It’s odd, but once I applied the rubber band “therapy” to the emergency brake pedal, it’s never happen again.

On the ESC error, it’s also never come on again since the trip when it was pouring down rain and wind blowing 30 mph which required the steering wheel turned to track straight.

Both items minor annoyances and have disappeared.