Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

Isata 5 Slide issues....:(

I knew the slide gods would frown on me.........For slide operations, my generator is always online, truck engine running, and voltage verified. Slides have been working as advertised. I perform regular maintenance with Tfords slide seal treatment and also Tfords slide lubricant. While bringing the dining room slide in yesterday, the rear seemed to be coming it faster than the front. The rear would then stop and wait for the front to catch up and then resume. This would continue until the slide was retracted. I extended the slide back out and the same thing happened. The front motor definitely sounds different than normal. There are no obstructions, the slides look fine as well as the rollers. Anyone else with this issue?

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
Commercial Member

No fault codes though?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #3

No codes.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

Scott,

I am following this closely as that is a very similar problem that I am having. So far the local Forest River Dealer (not a Dynamax Dealer) has replaced the "control boards". That did not fix the issue.

I have been in contact with Lippert numerous times and part of the problem is the controller part number 404183 is not in their manuals and they don't have a manual for that controller. They said they think that controller may have been made specifically for Dynamax.

I occasionally will get the error code 1 green 1 red. On some controllers that is the code to reset the stops and others it is the parking brake safety circuit. The problem is it's not consistent and is intermittent. Sometimes I can reset the stops and it works for a few cycles, then fails again.

I have been using the coach by leaving the wall switch unscrewed and running the slide in and out using the bypass, and everything seems to work when I do that. Lippert has told me numerous times I am not going to do any damage by doing that, but I'm afraid a motor is going to fail at some point.

The dealer I purchased from is 4 1/2 hours away but I was in the city a couple of days ago and was able to speak with a tech there. He suggested replacing the rear motor, which is the one that gives me the most trouble.

Sorry for the long post, but thought you might get some insight from my troubles...If you have any ideas, I love to hear them.
bratbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

I appreciate the info. I carry a spare motor and rack so my first attempt will be to replace the dragging motor. I will do a how to guide on replacing it while I am at it and see if that is the culprit. Please post any new information you receive. I am gong to try the manual mode tomorrow.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #6

Sounds good! Good luck!
Old 09-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #7

I went out and reset the stops. Same issue. I then used the manual override to move the slide with the same result. It is in the jog mode every time. The front motor is definitely the culprit. It moves slower and is hot to the touch while the rear motor sounds fine and is cool to the touch. Next step is to replace the front motor with my spare and try to get my spare replaced under warranty.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

Thanks for the update. At least your does the same thing every time. Mine is varying and intermittent. Mine is going back to a Forest River dealer next Wednesday. Unfortunately they are not a Dynamax dealer so they don't have specific experience with this coach.

I hope the motor takes care of your issues.

Keep me posted.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
I went out and reset the stops. Same issue. I then used the manual override to move the slide with the same result. It is in the jog mode every time. The front motor is definitely the culprit. It moves slower and is hot to the touch while the rear motor sounds fine and is cool to the touch. Next step is to replace the front motor with my spare and try to get my spare replaced under warranty.
same type of problem doing same thing, going in to a dealer next week [ not forest river, Dynamax to far away] have had nothing but slide problems afraid to go any where do to the fact the slides will not work, have only used motor home three times in a year for very short trips close to home. now that i am paying may be i can get it fixed.
oldwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #10

Hey OldWrench!

I hope you get it working. I'm kind of the same way about not wanting to go anywhere. I have been able to use it by utilizing the over ride on the wall switch, but it's a little nerve wracking every time I go to move the slide.

If your coach is a Dynamax you should have a two year warranty on it, and any Forest River dealer can honor that warranty.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #11

I think the slide out motors are only covered under a 1 year warranty. 2 year coverage is for structural items.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #12

Perfect..... my coach is only 7 months old! Going to swap the motor out next week and see if that fixes it. All indications are pointing that way. The only forest river dealer near me would get negative star ratings if that was possible..... so I will fix it myself.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #13

I have a 2018 Isata 5 and have not had any issues so far but do want to be prepared if/when something happens.

Where can I get a backup motor?
Do you know if the Isata 5 and DX3 slide motors are the same? We plan to purchase a DX3 and trade in our Isata 5 as we plan to go FT.

I agree the Dealers (at least where I live in SoCal) are not reliable. I'd rather do the work myself so I know it's done right.

Thanks,
Sal
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #14

Here is a link to the motor. The DX3 has a different slide system so the motors are incompatible.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Mid-T...-p/71-4965.htm

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #15

Scott,

Do you access the motors from the inside or the outside? My 30FW looks like there would not be room to remove the motor from the inside.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #16

I am going to try from the inside with the slide retracted 2/3. The issue is that the outside frame piece that you have to remove is sealed with Master Weld 620. I am assuming it will be a bear to remove plus I would have to reseal it. The inside is not sealed and should be easier to remove. You will need a spider bit to remove the frame screws so you might want to carry one of those in your coach.

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
I am going to try from the inside with the slide retracted 2/3. The issue is that the outside frame piece that you have to remove is sealed with Master Weld 620. I am assuming it will be a bear to remove plus I would have to reseal it. The inside is not sealed and should be easier to remove. You will need a spider bit to remove the frame screws so you might want to carry one of those in your coach.
What’s a spider bit?
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #18

Looks like a torx screw but it’s not!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3893.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	186546

2018 Isata 5 DS
Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #19

Any updates on this? My bedroom slide is stuck open. The front motor isn't working, same area water is leaking in. With the slide out I cannot get access from inside. I spent most of Sunday driving around place to place looking for the "spider bit". No luck, ordered one on line. I need to get it in for service for other leaks too but can't drive it with the slide out.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
Any updates on this? My bedroom slide is stuck open. The front motor isn't working, same area water is leaking in. With the slide out I cannot get access from inside. I spent most of Sunday driving around place to place looking for the "spider bit". No luck, ordered one on line. I need to get it in for service for other leaks too but can't drive it with the slide out.

Well the update is that they changed the motor mount design and no longer offer the old style. You may or may not have the new design. I have to see if I have a screw hole in the frame. If I don’t Lippert has to send me a new bearing block. Won’t be home til Saturday but I’m taking bets that I don’t have the hole. This should get interesting. I found my spider bits at Lowe’s.

2018 Isata 5 DS

Tags
slide