Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
Norwood Auto Italia

ISATA 5 Spare Wheel?

Has any one purchased a spare wheel for their RAM Chassis Isata 5?

I have discovered 2 part numbers: 1CM11S4AAA and 1CM11TRMAA and both would seem to fit. The former is designated by Mopar as "spare wheel" but I cannot confirm the size. The latter is definitely a 19.5" X6"X10 lug but cannot confirm the fit.

Any help appreciated.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Has any one purchased a spare wheel for their RAM Chassis Isata 5?

I have discovered 2 part numbers: 1CM11S4AAA and 1CM11TRMAA and both would seem to fit. The former is designated by Mopar as "spare wheel" but I cannot confirm the size. The latter is definitely a 19.5" X6"X10 lug but cannot confirm the fit.

Any help appreciated.
According to what I have found, 1CM11S4AAA is the appropriate part for ANY position on a Ram 5500. That includes front, rear (inner or outer) and spare. It also appears that it supersedes to part number 6PB43S4AAA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steel.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	241697  
Old 10-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #3

It looks like the OP’s coach is on order. Don’t ISATA 5s come with a spare wheel? I’d like to think of the ISATA line as a higher end product that would not cut corners on important features.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
It looks like the OP’s coach is on order. Don’t ISATA 5s come with a spare wheel? I’d like to think of the ISATA line as a higher end product that would not cut corners on important features.
A full sized spare is optional on ALL Ram 4500/5500 trucks. My assumption is that Dynamax doesn't option the C&C out with one because then they would get verbally abused for cutting into the CCC. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Not all Prevost come with a spare.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #6

I'm not knocking having a spare tire, but in the past 20 yrs I have never used a spare tire for my cars, suvs, motorhomes.

I carry roadside assistance which covers flats plus a lot more.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
A full sized spare is optional on ALL Ram 4500/5500 trucks. My assumption is that Dynamax doesn't option the C&C out with one because then they would get verbally abused for cutting into the CCC. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
You may be under estimating the level of abuse
Old 10-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Not all Prevost come with a spare.
Perhaps not, but the much lower priced Sunseeker Classic does come standard with a spare tire/wheel. I considered it mandatory that my motorhome come with a spare, or at least have a designated space to carry one. I guess many buyers don’t consider a spare when they are making a motorhome purchase decision. Sometimes it seems the more upscale or expensive the motorhome is, the less likely it is to have a spare wheel.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #9
Norwood Auto Italia

Many thanks for the confirmation of the part number.

The 28SS has a perfect storage spot for a spare accessible through the rear trunk door. I carry one because too many times, the so called help services AAA and Good Sam have been unable to find the correct tire at midnight or even 3 pm on a hot as Hades Sunday afternoon. Many owners are too old or infirm to attempt a tire change and no doubt I will be so hindered one of these days. But until then I want the option of taking care of myself. Saved me many times and I now carry 2 tires for my enclosed trailer, both mounted because of the supply chain shortages.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #10
AF CMSGT RET

senior citizen comment

I have found that on the 28 SS there is that perfect space and because of where I live and travel ( AK and thru Canada to the lower 48 I will be carrying at least a spare tire because of all the reason previously stated. that said I have the philosophy that if you have it you won't need it but if not then well you might know what I would prefer to not have to experience. Safe travels out there !
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #11

Anyone with a 36ds? Where do you mount your spare? I’ve seen tires mounted under the rear on other models but the 36ds has pump for the jacks in that location
Rc4mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:47 AM   #12
Norwood Auto Italia

Its a challenge ! I suspect most use a hitch mounted carrier. The problem with that is if you tow, its usually going to reduce your hitch capacity to that of the adaptor that allows a spare mount and a tow bar. So if you need that 10K capacity...?

Another challenge for the towing community is that the tow hitch on the Isata 5 is quite high (+/- 22") above ground. In my experience, most trailers have a level tow coupling at least 4 inches and sometimes less below that. So this requires a step down or adjustable tow bar. Take that plus a spare adaptor (all of which is a deduct from your CC, and possibly your tow capacity.

Another option is to get a front mounted tow bar but I have not heard/seen one on the RAM chassis but they are common in the F350/450 world amongst the boon docker/offroad groups.

Lastly, you could split the wheel and tire in your storage areas. The tire interior space can be used for stowage and the wheel you may not need. Although I have not had good experiences with the "emergency services" that many have accepted as their only solution, the main problem for them/me has been a lack of tire inventory in my size and type. The Isata uses the same 19.5" tire at all 4 corners. These are not uncommon tires by size but the inventory most services hold are for trailers not for steer or drive and for liability reasons they cannot fit a trailer variant to our rigs even to get you home. But if you have the spare aboard, they are well equipped to fit the tire to the wheel (and sometimes to balance too) and mount it. You can even get that done at many truck stops; or ask a truck stop for their favorite service which will often have a lesser distance to travel than the "emergency service" provider. That is assuming you can get to the trucks stop.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Its a challenge ! I suspect most use a hitch mounted carrier. The problem with that is if you tow, its usually going to reduce your hitch capacity to that of the adaptor that allows a spare mount and a tow bar. So if you need that 10K capacity...?

Another challenge for the towing community is that the tow hitch on the Isata 5 is quite high (+/- 22") above ground. In my experience, most trailers have a level tow coupling at least 4 inches and sometimes less below that. So this requires a step down or adjustable tow bar. Take that plus a spare adaptor (all of which is a deduct from your CC, and possibly your tow capacity.

Another option is to get a front mounted tow bar but I have not heard/seen one on the RAM chassis but they are common in the F350/450 world amongst the boon docker/offroad groups.
They do make front hitch receivers for the Ram trucks. I have one on my 2500 Ram. It bolts up where the front tow hooks go in the bumper. I added longer bolts so I could keep the tow hooks as well.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #14
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickeljr View Post
I have found that on the 28 SS there is that perfect space and because of where I live and travel ( AK and thru Canada to the lower 48 I will be carrying at least a spare tire because of all the reason previously stated. that said I have the philosophy that if you have it you won't need it but if not then well you might know what I would prefer to not have to experience. Safe travels out there !
In your travels, have you ever removed the spare tire either for use or to reposition/repack? I ask because I ordered a spare wheel which upon arrival, I found it weighs 55 lbs. So add a tire and I reckon a mounted spare is going to be at 130 lbs. I don't think I could get 130 lbs into that 28SS compartment from a dead lift. Even the typical 85 lb tire is handful. How did you load your tire?

Tags
wheel