Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Limiting factor can be brakes, tires, transmission.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Using the axle logic above wouldn't that mean if you weighed in as much as 12,950 on the rear (and your 7,220 on the front) you'd still be under max weight? Seems to me the axles are rated for more than the vehicle rating? What's the limiting factor that reduces the max wght from the axle rating, the tires?
Yes, the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is almost always collectively higher than the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)

Lots of factors play into those number (as Brian mentioned). Heck, I’ve even heard tale of the oil used in the differential playing a factor into the number. Change the oil and you change the axle rating. The concept of the final GAWR number can be further muddied by the fact that the axle manufacturer will give it their rating and then the final builder (Dodge in our case) will give it their rating based on application and final configuration (yes, including tires). As an example, the Ram 5500 appears to have a Dana 110 rear axle. Dana rates that axle to ~14,700#, but in the Ram 5500 application, FCA rates it at 13,500#. Now, getting FCA to share WHY they gave it that rating would probably be an uphill battle. Could we, the owner/operator, change the tires to a higher load rating and bump up the axle rating? Sure, but what that number would be is impossible to determine without a Team of engineers behind us. Could we improve the brakes and increase the final number? Sure, but there is just no telling what final number you would land on.

My grandfather was a chassis engineer for Mack Trucks and while I was too young to really take away anything truly meaningful, I do remember going to the factory and seeing them do load calcs and shear tests on lug bolts. I can CLEARLY remember him telling me that something as simple as the lug bolts played an important role in how much a truck could carry.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Yes, original rating was at 7000. With the HD springs, it takes it to 7250 which is standard for us now. Originally we were told by FCA that the 4x4 automatically went to 7250 which we wanted for the 4x4. This was incorrect, we needed the HD front end option (which did not explain what it was, but I am told they have now added additional detail to that option which calls out the 7250 rating).

So for those of us that do not have the HD springs how do we get the proper springs? I would assume that would be a warranty issue?
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
So for those of us that do not have the HD springs how do we get the proper springs? I would assume that would be a warranty issue?
Not a warranty issue as it has always been correctly listed at 7,000 lbs. I just always assumed the HD towing package/4x4 upgrade we got, gave the larger rating, which is always nice to have for fluff sake. I think I listed the part numbers for anyone that wanted them...I'd have to track that down. We couldn't tell much of a difference, other than maybe it was 3/4" taller.

The 4x2 was always 7000...I just assumed (well, they also said) that the 4x4 went to 7250.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
<snip>.....I think I listed the part numbers for anyone that wanted them...I'd have to track that down. <snip>
I'm here to help.....pretty sure you are referring to this post....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1873243
Old 09-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #26
Commercial Member

that's the one...thanks for that.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #27

Your 2018/2019 brochures say 7,000 for the 4x2 and 7,250 for the 4x4.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Your 2018/2019 brochures say 7,000 for the 4x2 and 7,250 for the 4x4.
The latest one on the website now? I checked all (3) that we have done and they all say 7,000. Where is it listed?

Old 09-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Ah...nevermind. Found it. It is in the 2019 brochure.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #30
Commercial Member

If we put the HD springs on a 2017 Chassis, it would be listed on the Forest River MSRP with the HD front springs...as there was no way to get an updated chassis sticker, but we wanted it noted.

The 2018 Chassis is coming with the HD front springs from Dodge, so it would be listed on the yellow chassis sticker at 7250.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #31

It's on the second to last page of the brochure in a little table just below 'options' for those perusing the brochure.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 10-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
When I picked up my unit they had 115 psi in all the tires. I weighed my unit and that is the weight i will be at 95% of the time and came up with 100 in the front tires and 95 in the rears. All tires heat up to about 8lbs above cold pressure . I run 70 MPH flat towing a wrangler unlimited.

Update from me on this subject: I checked front tire pressure again and we were at 87psi. So, it was low. Upped it 100psi and took it for a (unloaded) 50 mile drive to refill the propane tank. Steering was way, WAY better at 100psi cold tire pressure. I assume that once I load it up AND have 100psi in the front tires, things will be 100% normal.

I'd still love to have one of those killer steering stabilizers from King Shocks, but since they don't fit, I'll suck it up.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #33

ISATA 5 Tracking bar?

My I5DS drives great- way better then RAM 3500- steers way better.

The truck had spacer to level truck- adds 2" to front- to make truck level- to aid getting camper on and off. So when I raised it, it moved the front axle over a bit and required a longer/adjustable tracking bar- to re-aline the front axle. And I thought steered better.

I've looked at my Isata and it looks like both axles are aligned. I tried checking toein using tape measure and looks neutral and happy to see that it's supposed to have Zero toein.

When I first left dealer the truck felt new/slugish and after checking the tires were low- pumped up to about 100 psi all around and more responsive and seems like it drives good. I'll eventually get to measuring and weighing- just not there yet- still learning.

Mine drives very easily, one hand most of time- an use knees to steer- drives great! But still thinking looking at the Air suspension and linked rear axle.
Wrangler4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #34

I 5 30fw steering

when we first picked up our I 5 i found it to over/understeer on older improperly banked highways. the stock sway bar measured at about 15/16th. i replaced it with a Helwig 1 1/4" and the problem was gone.
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #35

BLY4SPD. X2. Great drive.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 10-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #36

Thanks for your input
1109murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1109murphy View Post
My Isata 5 at 60-65 mph seems to be difficult to steer and I constantly have to correct the steering to go straight. Is it just me or do other people have this problem. Tire pressure is good and I don't carry a lot of extra weight in the cabin. I carry about 1/3 tank of fresh water. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Mine is 4x4, 11,000 miles and drives great, even been off roading in muddy farm fields. Check your front end alignment?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Skeers View Post
when we first picked up our I 5 i found it to over/understeer on older improperly banked highways. the stock sway bar measured at about 15/16th. i replaced it with a Helwig 1 1/4" and the problem was gone.
Yeah, I am going to try that route too. I called Hellwig directly and they said that they build that sway bar to order and it would be about 2 weeks. So, I order it from Amazon (cheapest at the time) and that was over a month ago, still have no delivery date from them.

I found a place in TN that has two on the shelf, so I'm probably going to cancel the Amazon order and go through them.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #39

Who has them on the shelf. You can tell me after you order yours! Lol

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote