Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #1

Isata 5 Taillight removal?

I must be missing something here, how does one remove the taillights from an Isata 5? They are clearly the OEM LED units from a Dodge Ram Pick-up (at least on my 2019 they are) and when I look at the procedure for removal from a Ram Pick up, it suggests that there are 2 torx head bolts that are exposed by opening the tailgate. So, the bolts face directly in-board. When I crawl under the Isata 5, I see what appears to be a screw stick out the side of the tail light where one of the OEM Dodge Torx head bolts should be, but the head is cut off. As in, all I can see is the threaded portion with no head on it.

A) I could grab it with vice-grips and twist, but that seems wrong
B) If the screw doesn’t have a head on it, that means that is it not doing any actually mechanical fixation of the taillight, so that seems wrong.

Anybody pulled their taillights yet?
BLT4SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #2

Can I ask why you are pulling the taillights?

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaner View Post
Can I ask why you are pulling the taillights?
Sure! You can ask anything you'd like.

1) I want to get at the reverse bulb and see if a brighter LED bulb helps with some reward vision and making it more obvious to people around us that we are backing up. We have 4 cars in our "fleet" and they've all received LED reverse bulbs and we've just grown accustomed to seeing that brighter light.

2) I'm a _tad_ on the anal retentive side when it comes to washing and waxing my vehicles and particularly the FIRST washing and waxing. So, I want to get any all dirt/debris out from behind the light during the wash and I want to wax the paint that wraps around that recess and behind the light. Based on the ram procedure(s) I found it's not much more than 1-2 minute operation. With that level of effort, I'd MUCH rather have them out of the way rather than work around them.

3) I have visions in my head of POSSIBLY replacing them with the OEM Mopar smoked version rather than the red version that is on there now.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #4

They just pull out, no screws.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #5

You have 'Dockiing' lights. The two little round lights in your bumper. You can turn them on with the Upfitter switches on your dash. In the center of the dash I think there are 4 switches. I think the first one is a momentary switch to give you a battery boost in case your start batteries are dead. The second switch turns on your docking lights to help you park at night.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
They just pull out, no screws.
What? .....really? .....friction fit?
Old 07-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
You have 'Dockiing' lights. The two little round lights in your bumper. You can turn them on with the Upfitter switches on your dash. In the center of the dash I think there are 4 switches. I think the first one is a momentary switch to give you a battery boost in case your start batteries are dead. The second switch turns on your docking lights to help you park at night.
Understood. Played with docking lights over the weekend and they do a nice and they are fairly bright. Just looking for a more "idiot proof" solution that doesn't require putting the rig in reverse and then trying to remember to push the Aux button.

Plus, that doesn't really solve the long term idea of pulling the tail lights for various reasons. Yes, the tail lights are LED, but the reverse lights are incandescent bulbs and it would stand to reason that they are going to need to be replaced by SOMEONE at SOME point in time.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #8

Isata 5 Taillight removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
What? .....really? .....friction fit?

Yup, you pull on them from the outside and they pop out.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
Yup, you pull on them from the outside and the pop out.
Crazy! I never would have guessed that in a million years!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Crazy! I never would have guessed that in a million years!

Lol, took me about 20 minutes to figure it out. I think there are retention clips in the body that hold the posts on the lens assembly.

Tags
light