Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #41

Ok I talked to my friend today who is a mechanic but owns track hoes, bull dozers, dump trucks and works construction. Now I know I am gonna get part of this wrong but I am trying to remember all he said.

I gave him the weights of the Isata and the Force HD with the HP and torque differences. He said to him they are almost equal with the HP and torque differences off setting the weight differences.

He also said no way to decide which is more important between HP and torque. One is worthless without the other in diesel engines unless you are on flat ground. The diesel is a long stroke motor and the HP was to give you RPM's and the torque was to pull.

He said that the HP and torque that I gave him should pull and run like crazy. He has some trucks that have less with GVW of 55,000 lbs that runs loaded and hits grades and can maintain speed.

Im sure I messed this up some where but I gave it a whirl...
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #42

Well Mountie, IMHO, you are agonizing way to much over this. If this is such a critical issue for your application, then I suggest that you get the Class A or whatever that will give you the confidence that you made the right choice. Whatever choice you make, don't look back.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #43

I don’t doubt your word but I’m surprised that a pickup, even a 3500, with a camper would be that close in weight to a DX3.
I assume you still pull the same load. My comparison is pulling the same weight Jeep, about 5k.
Guess we each have our own experience to base an opinion.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Well Mountie, IMHO, you are agonizing way to much over this. If this is such a critical issue for your application, then I suggest that you get the Class A or whatever that will give you the confidence that you made the right choice. Whatever choice you make, don't look back.
Oh no Agony here. I love to analyze and create thinking. Also the wife said no to a class a. She has thoughts of driving this and would rather drive the class c. To me I would drive what ever as long as it gets the job done in a manner that suits me.

I got another thread in a couple of days to start. On this one I will need the info for sure.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #45

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
Oh I’m still good. Glad your concerned about my nerves. Lol. I like your posts. Straight to the point. The boat part with the DP, are you talking about it drifting around a little on the road? I kinda thought the bigger MH’s were supposed to be more stable.
They float. Smaller ones probably do it more. Our 40ft DP did, and I've read where alot more people made the same comment. Now our DX3 is rock solid on the road, I can and do drive it.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
They float. Smaller ones probably do it more. Our 40ft DP did, and I've read where alot more people made the same comment. Now our DX3 is rock solid on the road, I can and do drive it.
Yes I understand what you mean now. A friend of mine warned me about that but I kinda thought he was over stating it but I guess not. He bought a new Class A and drove to Florida from NC and explained it as he was white knuckles the entire drive down and back. He took it straight back and traded it for a Seneca. Lol.

Thank you for the info because my wife wants to drive also.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #47

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
It's still a bit scary for me so I just drive on the highways to give my husband a break, and I'll back it in sites with him directing me. (Less yelling that way) I know what it's like to get yelled at directing someone in, so i don't do it!

Plus i feel safe in the cab and as I said the thing is solid on the road, hardly feel the semi's going by.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #48

Isata 5 versus HD

We went through the very same thought process. Initially we were drawn to the Isata 5, but when we found out how low the CCC is we had to eliminate it. For us, we could basically load the passengers we needed to carry and nothing else.
Cactus Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #49

I've had 3 Diesel pushers, all Freightliners. My last one was a 40' Damon LX400 pulling a 24 foot enclosed trailer. It handled as well as any semi I ever drove. Very solid platform for all 3. Class As are a different story. I never drove one that felt comfortable in any kind of cross winds. The class Cs that I owned were better than the As but not a lot. What helped them a lot were rear air bags. The biggest problem I see with RVs is speed differential. If you try to run 10 or 15 MPH slower that the truckers they will blow you all over the road in a class A and most Cs. The Sprinter I have now is the best handling C I've owned. That said I have added rear Sumos and Bilsteins. It's not up to the standards of the air ride chassis but for a class C I'm very happy with it. It also came equipped with the Helig rear sway bar. You folks with the Freightliners should be trilled with the way they handle.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
It's still a bit scary for me so I just drive on the highways to give my husband a break, and I'll back it in sites with him directing me. (Less yelling that way) I know what it's like to get yelled at directing someone in, so i don't do it!

Plus i feel safe in the cab and as I said the thing is solid on the road, hardly feel the semi's going by.
A lot of great info. I told my wife what you had said about the Class A and driving it and I got the world famous " I told you so "......

You just stated everything she wanted to hear. Also good for you for backing it in sites and such... Impressive.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #51

Have your wife drive both and see what she thinks!! Backing in not so impressive, my husband tells me what to do and I do it. That way the coach is where he wants. If I direct him he's never happy