Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #1

Isata5 DS rear view camera monitor

I worked to get the camera system working; but have a different problem.

The display monitor keeps falling off truck mirror. The BOGO monitor uses 4 brackets to hold the monitor to the mirror, the bottom 2 are spring loaded. The top 2 brackets hold in place, after leaving dealer it fell off on highway- mine only has a single top bracket- I didn't not find it in RV- so lost before purchasing.

I contacted the distributor and they discontinued that model, so have to wire in a different display? I tried explaining the problem and sent photos- hoping they have an old unit to remove the part.

So now wondering what others have used to display side and back cameras, also since the rear camera doesn't work too good for trailers- looking for a backup camera and use existing for looking at trailer?
Wrangler4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler4X4 View Post
I worked to get the camera system working; but have a different problem.

The display monitor keeps falling off truck mirror. The BOGO monitor uses 4 brackets to hold the monitor to the mirror, the bottom 2 are spring loaded. The top 2 brackets hold in place, after leaving dealer it fell off on highway- mine only has a single top bracket- I didn't not find it in RV- so lost before purchasing.

I contacted the distributor and they discontinued that model, so have to wire in a different display? I tried explaining the problem and sent photos- hoping they have an old unit to remove the part.

So now wondering what others have used to display side and back cameras, also since the rear camera doesn't work too good for trailers- looking for a backup camera and use existing for looking at trailer?
I can’t speak to your issues with the monitor that is clipped onto the rear view mirror, but cameras….

I _hated_ the fact that the factory camera always pointed (virtually) right at the ground and I couldn’t really use it as “Rear View Mirror” in the traditional sense. I understand that it’s called a “back up camera” and it was aimed at the rear bumper and ground to support that use. I also always knew that we were going to travel with a Garmin nav unit because I didn’t want to go to the trouble/expense of enabling the factory Dodge navigation AND I wanted something that could move between the coach and the toad.

So, I bought the Garmin back up camera (BC 30) and mounted it directly to the bottom of the original, dynamax installed, camera. Literally, disassembled the original camera, drilled and tapped two holes in the camera housing and screwed the Garmin camera to it. I used the original Dynamax hole/grommet in the rear cap to run the wire for the Garmin wire as well. Now, I have the Garmin acting as the “back up camera” and pointed at the rear bumper/ground and I re-aimed the original camera act as like the “rear view mirror”.

Garmin camera is wired to come on with reverse lights AND I installed a toggle switch to turn it on manually while in motion if I want to view the tow bar and/or toad behind me.

I also went down the same path of “sseaner” here on the forum went down; I installed a Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) switch to interrupt the side camera signal. With that installed, I am in control of the side view camera(s) coming on with the blinker or NOT coming on with the blinker. I found that there are situations where I like the side views, but for the most part, I found them frustrating. The latency from the time I turn the blinker on to the time I see the side view is too much. Also dislike the fact that when I am pulling something behind me, I can’t see it when my blinkers are on and I’m making a turn.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #3

Apologies for the low quality cell phone pictures, but here's a visual on what our cameras look like....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2559.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	190254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	190255