Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2022, 02:09 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Issue with GE A/C and Firefly Controls

PSA on GE A/C's:

On some 2021's, 2022 models with GE A/C's and Firefly, there is a known communication issue.

Symptoms: the A/C stops talking to the Firefly and will not respond to changing temps, settings, etc. (but will still load shed)

Cause: GE has identified a software issue in the RAREC1A4 GE communication module.

Solution: short term, they say you can cut 12V power to the A/C board which would reboot the communication module. Long term we need to swap out that control module to a RARE1A2 (they will eventually have a software update to A4).

I had a picture of the module (it is a small metal box up in the A/C plenum), but can't seem to find it now. It will have the black and white sticker with the model RARECA4A on it. 1A and 2A do not have this issue

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:35 AM   #2
Isata 3RW 2022

Our new Isata 3 is still at the dealer. They found that the firmware for the Firefly had to be updated and once complete the tank sensors and AC began to work correctly. They continued to test everything because we couldn't get down to pick it up until today. Now they say the communication module on the GE AC (I think) isn't always working and they ordered the new one, but it won't be here until next week.
My Question is do they need to reinstall the firmware once they install the new module? Or can I just install the module myself and not have to waste a day at the dealer? (Guess that was two questions).
VISTACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #3
Commercial Member

1. No
2. I am not sure the communication module is DIY. (while it could be for some, I don't think we want customers cutting/splicing wires near 110V up in the A/C plenum)

Old 09-16-2022, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. No
2. I am not sure the communication module is DIY. (while it could be for some, I don't think we want customers cutting/splicing wires near 110V up in the A/C plenum)
Will all coaches with the issue, still at Dynamax, be fixed prior to ship?
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:35 AM   #5

2021 Force. My front AC just one day didn't respond. In fact it doesn't even respond to "Fan" setting or anything else. All CBs look ok. Haven't looked into this at all yet, but this thread attracted my attention. How do I know if I have GE AC, and what is Firefly.?

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
2021 Force. My front AC just one day didn't respond. In fact it doesn't even respond to "Fan" setting or anything else. All CBs look ok. Haven't looked into this at all yet, but this thread attracted my attention. How do I know if I have GE AC, and what is Firefly.?

Firefly replaced the Precision Plex system, I believe beginning with the 2022 model year or thereabouts. You should have received owners manuals on your a/c units that will tell you what brand they are. Likely not GE’s in the 2021 model year, however anything is possible.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #7

I seem to have Coleman AC. What I am not sure is if I have the "optional heater accessory." It has a heat mode on the AIRXCEL thermostats. I'll start a new thread on my malfunction issue.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:34 PM   #8
Isata 3RW 2022

Well we finally got our RV home after 3 weeks at the dealer. They said they replaced the module in the AC and that it was working fine now. So we found if you run it more than an hour or so it will not turn off using the firefly panel. Will only turn off using the battery disconnect switch. At least it works. What now?
Old 09-24-2022, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToTheForce View Post
Will all coaches with the issue, still at Dynamax, be fixed prior to ship?

Following since our DX3 should be hitting the production line in about a month.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:50 PM   #10
Isata 3RW 2022

I removed the cover on the AC today and took a picture of the module. Looks to me like they did not replace it. Brian can you confirm?
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC module.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	279665
Old 09-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #11
Commercial Member

There is no way to confirm, as they have updated the programming for the RAREC1A4.

They came in and re-flashed everything we had in stock and online.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:39 AM   #12
Isata 3RW 2022

So my unit arrived just before Labor Day. Would it have been one of the re-flashed modules?
If yes then something else is wrong.
If no can the dealership re-flash the module?
Maybe the firefly? I noticed the inverter on off button does not work on the firefly, if it is suppose to maybe it is the firefly system not working correctly.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VISTACA View Post
So my unit arrived just before Labor Day. Would it have been one of the re-flashed modules?
If yes then something else is wrong.
If no can the dealership re-flash the module?
Maybe the firefly? I noticed the inverter on off button does not work on the firefly, if it is suppose to maybe it is the firefly system not working correctly.
If you can disconnect 12V power and it works again like it should, then it could be the controller. Not sure I can answer if it was flashed or not.

If 12V power is of for some time...I know the Firefly can go to sleep. That has been discussed in other threads. You would need to full disconnect 12V power, including to the RTC/CONST (real time clock, constant power) line on the G12 board.

This can be accomplished by pulling the fuse on the J17 wire, or pulling the wire from the G12 board.

I'd have to find that post...but I discuss the options there.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
There is no way to confirm, as they have updated the programming for the RAREC1A4.

They came in and re-flashed everything we had in stock and online.
Brian, just want to confirm that "in stock" includes already in the coaches, as well.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:41 PM   #15
Isata 3RW 2022

Well we went on a camping trip this last week. Somehow the AC controller magically fixed itself. Seems to work fine now. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:49 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VISTACA View Post
Well we went on a camping trip this last week. Somehow the AC controller magically fixed itself. Seems to work fine now. Keeping my fingers crossed.
IF it is a communication issue with the GE, turning off 12V power normally corrects it for a period of time.