Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

Jeep Flat Tow Hitch Height

So I'm going to break down and set the jeep up for flat towing on trips that wont involve long distances or risky wheeling. I think I've got everything I need, but the last thing is the mounting height on the jeep.

I'd really prefer to use the existing D-ring attachments on the bumper to avoid having anything hanging down to get hit by rocks, but because of the height of the Jeep and the lower hitch height on the DX3 I'm coming up with a 14" vertical difference I need to make up.

So far 10" is the largest hitch receiver adapter I can find, and I dont really fancy doubling them up.

Blue Ox says up to 3" vertical is OK, but I'm outside that. Pretty paranoid about catapulting the jeep into the back of the RV

What do you guys towing jeeps use? What is your vertical differential?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #2

We have a 1998 wrangler with a 4 inch body lift and 33" tires, We are good with a 4 inch riser on the back of our 3010DSF.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

We use the Currie tow plate.

https://www.amazon.com/Currie-Enterp...SIN=B003EM5CZY

Tucks under the stock bumper.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
So I'm going to break down and set the jeep up for flat towing on trips that wont involve long distances or risky wheeling. I think I've got everything I need, but the last thing is the mounting height on the jeep.

I'd really prefer to use the existing D-ring attachments on the bumper to avoid having anything hanging down to get hit by rocks, but because of the height of the Jeep and the lower hitch height on the DX3 I'm coming up with a 14" vertical difference I need to make up.

So far 10" is the largest hitch receiver adapter I can find, and I dont really fancy doubling them up.

Blue Ox says up to 3" vertical is OK, but I'm outside that. Pretty paranoid about catapulting the jeep into the back of the RV

What do you guys towing jeeps use? What is your vertical differential?

I’m in the same boat...let me know what you learn.

Her she is with her new shoes (Nitto Ridge Grapplers) and B.A.D. Eclipse wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4635.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	154847
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

From ground to the center of the Currie mounting holes is 17 1/2". Rubicon wheels & tires. No lift.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slolane View Post
We use the Currie tow plate.

https://www.amazon.com/Currie-Enterp...SIN=B003EM5CZY

Tucks under the stock bumper.
+1...have towed mine behind my Fifth Wheel for thousands of miles with the Currie Tow Plate solid as a rock....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:27 AM   #7

X2 on the Currie base plate . Very tight up under the bumper. You can barely see it in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	154867  
Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #8

Lower the Jeep??

Lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

Don't have a stock bumper and the bottom of mine takes a beating so not sure the Currie one is for me. If I do anything under the bumper it'll be custom and easily removable.

And no Kenny that's not an option

Pic for info

Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #10

I think my measurement is 27" from the ground to the drings
Old 10-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Don't have a stock bumper and the bottom of mine takes a beating so not sure the Currie one is for me. If I do anything under the bumper it'll be custom and easily removable.

And no Kenny that's not an option

Pic for info

I'm jealous.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #12

I just used one of these and flipped it over to adjust the height....the Currie is a class act, if you put it on you'll leave it...
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...x/BX88241.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #13

Being that I don't have a Super C yet can someone tell me what the measurement is from the ground to center of the hitch?

FOURWHL I think you have a couple options to make it work. First off I'm not sure what front bumper you have. I'm running a Savvy on my JK that required me to cut the front cross member off so the Currie tow plate (which I'd never even heard of) isn't an option for me. If that's a Smittybuilt Blue Ox makes adapters for some of their bumpers. If not they make generic D ring adapters. That will get you at least mounted on the Jeep. As for the height difference my first question is can the hitch be unbolted and adjusted. I can't recall if it was the Dynamax or Renegade that it sides were welded but it looked like the crossmember could be unbolted. Anyways if not could you possibly adjust the setting on your airbags to sit an inch lower to get you to 13"? That combined with the 10" hitch rise might be enough to get you in the park.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. I just measured my front d rings and from ground level to center of the hole I'm at 27"
rsqcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #14

I'm not with the unit but if my math works the DX3 sits at about 13" off the ground. Problem is its low not high. My Dad has the exact opposite problem with his Class A Thor towing a Ford Fusion. Which is why I currently have access to the 10" receiver drop I could flip. Problem is that still puts me 4" out of level and in the sloping down (catapulting) configuration.

Hitch on the DX3 is a massive Reese contraption mounted to the freightliner frame so not really an option to adjust I dont think. Plus I'm not complaining about the hitch height as it sits almost exactly perfectly level for towing my trailer. Here's the hitch https://www.etrailer.com/Heavy-Duty-...ese/38023.html

I've seen the blue ox adapters and figure i can fab something similar for a whole lot cheaper. Bumper is Poison spyder mid width. Its mounted to the stock 8 bumper mounting bolts. Didnt need to remove any frame components.

I'd feel fine attaching to the D-rings but not feeling great about the height ATM.

Best I am currently leaning towards is a frame mounted drop bracket that would be able to be bolted/unbolted while the bumper is still on. If I ditch the crash bar I should be able to get something between the bumper and the cross member.

Hoping for better (less work intensive) ideas though
Old 10-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #15

Just to clarify ground to center of hitch is 13" and ground to center of D ring is 27" right? So that's where you're getting your 14" offset from? Blue Ox allows for 3" offset max. It looks like the crossmember on the hitch is secured using 4 bolts only or is it also welded? If it's bolted only can you move it to the top position to gain another inch? If that's not an option why not adjust the stops on your air bags to raise the back end up another inch or two? (I know I suggested that already I meant to say raise and not lower) Either of those two things combined with flipping the 10" drop hitch should get you within the 3" range right? I would suggest buying the Blue Ox adapters that way if anything goes wrong they can't blame if on your fab job.

Unfortunately I've seen 2 Class As pulling Jeeps in significant accidents over the past week. Both RVs and both Jeeps were probably total losses
Old 10-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #16

Hmm I'll have to look into the air bags. They're controlled by a height control valve that is way more complex than it probably needs to be, but I've also seen somewhere that adjusting them isnt the hardest thing to do.

Your math is correct, in theory I'm only 1" off. Assuming I'm comfortable running on the edge of their "spec"
Old 10-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #17

Could always deflate your tires some as well depending on what speeds you pull going down the road.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #18

I have towed my Jeep Wrangler from the D-Ring brackets on my bumper which are 29 inches off the ground nearly 20,000 miles (including to Alaska) with a blue ox hitch and the blue ox adapters used with the D-Ring brackets along with a 10" riser. I have towed my Jeep behind a Class A Monaco Camelot my former motorhome and my current 2016 Dynamax Force. My hitch has never been level and I have never had a problem. Does anyone know the hitch height from the ground of a 2016 Force versus a DX3? If they are close, I am surprised that you are still 4 inches off level with a 10" riser.
DQskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #19

Heh I'd have to run like 5 or less psi with the Load Range E tires to get a noticeable drop in ride height.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQskier View Post
I have towed my Jeep Wrangler from the D-Ring brackets on my bumper which are 29 inches off the ground nearly 20,000 miles (including to Alaska) with a blue ox hitch and the blue ox adapters used with the D-Ring brackets along with a 10" riser. I have towed my Jeep behind a Class A Monaco Camelot my former motorhome and my current 2016 Dynamax Force. My hitch has never been level and I have never had a problem. Does anyone know the hitch height from the ground of a 2016 Force versus a DX3? If they are close, I am surprised that you are still 4 inches off level with a 10" riser.
I'd assume they've got to be pretty close. Same chassis and hitch AFAIK.

Very cool to hear this. I may have to mock it all up to verify. (I also could just be misquoting the 27" and 13" from memory. I know my difference was 14" last I measured)

Tags
hitch