Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

Jensen TV Sound Issues

I have 2 Jensen JE3217 LED TVs in my new 2019 Dynamax Isata3FW. The setup I have is a Jensen JWM70A Mobile A/V System, Samsung BD-JM57C Blu-Ray player, 4X4 HDMI switch and the 2 JE3217 LED TVs. While watching DVDs and Blu-rays the sound on the TVs cuts out during low volume moments in the movie. I thought it might be due to having automatic volume control on so I turned it off and still the sound cuts out completely during 'low volume' parts - which is annoying. The TVs are connected to the DVD players via HDMI. I've tried different DVD players and the problem persists - pointing at the TVs. I've had the RV dealer take a look at this and they have no solution.
flighttest1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #2

I would not accept a “no solution” answer from your dealer. If they sold you a 2019 product they need to find the answer. I see this frequently where they put it back on the owner to find their own solution to an issue. I have the Jensen TV also but never had an issue.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Commercial Member

You mention a Samsung blu-ray player. That would not have been provided by us.
1. What about the Jensen wall mount DVD that comes with the unit? Is that doing the same thing?

2. Have you tried the DVD player connected directly to the TV, not through the Matrix?

3. Was the matrix supplied by us?

4. When you say "low volume" you mean quiet parts or LOW as in low bass?

I have never heard of this before...but if we can narrow down the issue to what exactly is at fault, it will help. Maybe a loose connection is not letting enough power through whatever cable it is?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:09 AM   #4

Somewhere I think I read that the sound cutting out at low volumes may be associated with using the ARC feature of HDMI. If you are using the ARC feature to get the sound from the TV to the Jensen, maybe you have a faulty HDMI cable. Just a suggestion.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #5

I would assume there is a splitter/switch connected to the hdmi output to the DVD player.

I would be tempted to remove it temporarily and bypass it. Hook one tv up to the unit if you can.

I understand the splitters can sometimes do this.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #6

Get rid of them, I had a brand new Heartland and the Jensen TV caught on fire.....luckily I was watching it at the time
soonerfan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan1962 View Post
Get rid of them, I had a brand new Heartland and the Jensen TV caught on fire.....luckily I was watching it at the time
I have a Jensen TV and would not get rid of it just because you had a fire. I would think the problem is with the Heartland and not the TV.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #8

Mr. Clemens, please see my responses to your questions. Appreciate your time on this matter!

Correct, I added the blu-ray capability and it has no impact on the TV volume issue.
1. What about the Jensen wall mount DVD that comes with the unit? Is that doing the same thing?
Using the wall mount Jensen DVD had the same issues. On a separate note, that unit does not load DVDs any longer. The unit accepts the DVDs and displays ‘loading’ for about a minute. Finally the unit displays ‘Stop’, but you can hear the DVD continue to spin. Pressing any button other than ‘eject’ has no impact. BTW, I’ve had the Isata3 only 3 months. I’m working with ASA electronics directly on warranty replacement. I’ve had some issues with my Dealer since delivery of the coach which is another problem. Bottom line, the 2 year Dynamax warranty is only as good as the dealer network.
2. Have you tried the DVD player connected directly to the TV, not through the Matrix?
Yes I have directly connected the DVD player and TV and both TVs still exhibit the issue. I also brought one of the TVs from the RV into the house to make sure that there was not some strange power regulation issue (noise) in the RVs power system that could be impacting the TV audio circuitry. I have turned off the HDMI ARC function. I have turned off automatic volume control on the TVs. I have tried the audio output (headphones) on the TV and the issue exits in all cases. It is definitely a ‘flaw’ of the TVs.
Yes. The matrix was supplied by Dynamax.
Low volume = quiet parts in the movie. It is almost like a squelch function like in old CB radios. When the sound level in the movie is very low, like ambient noise in a room, the sound completely drops out and no sound is heard at all.

I have also contacted ASA Electronics directly on the volume issue and they are also stumped. My next approach (as a last resort) is to make sure that I have the latest software/firmware for the TVs.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Commercial Member

You're in the right spot, as ASA provides both the Jensen TV's and the wall radio. This is the first time I have ever heard of this. If it was a 12V TV, I could see some voltage issues, but we stopped using those and are just using the 110V TV's now.

Have you paid any attention to whether the inverter was ON??? I wonder if there is some sort of voltage noise...but as you said, your house TV plugged into the same outlet is NOT dropping audio?

Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flighttest1999 View Post
I have 2 Jensen JE3217 LED TVs in my new 2019 Dynamax Isata3FW. The setup I have is a Jensen JWM70A Mobile A/V System, Samsung BD-JM57C Blu-Ray player, 4X4 HDMI switch and the 2 JE3217 LED TVs. While watching DVDs and Blu-rays the sound on the TVs cuts out during low volume moments in the movie. I thought it might be due to having automatic volume control on so I turned it off and still the sound cuts out completely during 'low volume' parts - which is annoying. The TVs are connected to the DVD players via HDMI. I've tried different DVD players and the problem persists - pointing at the TVs. I've had the RV dealer take a look at this and they have no solution.
I think Barch hit the nail on the head. We have the Jensen JWM6a and when using the HDMI ARC feature the volume will drop out with low volume moments.
I have set the input to AUX2 and that resolves the drop out issue.
dtrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Mr. Clemens, please see my responses to your questions. Appreciate your time on this matter!

Correct, I added the blu-ray capability and it has no impact on the TV volume issue.
Using the wall mount Jensen DVD had the same issues. On a separate note, that unit does not load DVDs any longer. The unit accepts the DVDs and displays ‘loading’ for about a minute. Finally the unit displays ‘Stop’, but you can hear the DVD continue to spin. Pressing any button other than ‘eject’ has no impact. BTW, I’ve had the Isata3 only 3 months. I’m working with ASA electronics directly on warranty replacement. I’ve had some issues with my Dealer since delivery of the coach which is another problem. Bottom line, the 2 year Dynamax warranty is only as good as the dealer network.
Yes I have directly connected the DVD player and TV and both TVs still exhibit the issue. I also brought one of the TVs from the RV into the house to make sure that there was not some strange power regulation issue (noise) in the RVs power system that could be impacting the TV audio circuitry. I have turned off the HDMI ARC function. I have turned off automatic volume control on the TVs. I have tried the audio output (headphones) on the TV and the issue exits in all cases. It is definitely a ‘flaw’ of the TVs.
Yes. The matrix was supplied by Dynamax.
Low volume = quiet parts in the movie. It is almost like a squelch function like in old CB radios. When the sound level in the movie is very low, like ambient noise in a room, the sound completely drops out and no sound is heard at all.

I have also contacted ASA Electronics directly on the volume issue and they are also stumped. My next approach (as a last resort) is to make sure that I have the latest software/firmware for the TVs.
You've done quite a bit to troubleshoot. The next thing I'd try is cycling through the sound modes. Go to the menu, select Audio and set sound mode to Standard. Try the audio again. Cycle through all the modes.

If that doesn't work, now might be the time to see if your HDMI connection is buggy. Go into your TV's menu, select Picture and then HDMI CEC. Turn it off. Check the function now. I doubt this will fix the problem, but HDMI is a buggy standard. So, who knows?

If this does not fix the problem, try analog connections. Get a patch cable with white, red and yellow RCA plugs on each end and run this cable from your DVD player's analog outputs to the TV's analog inputs. Select the correct input. It will say analog or AV or something like that. The picture will look like hell but analog is stable and you'll get HDMI out of the picture. Now check the function.

If this doesn't work, there is one last thing to try. Nuke it. Go to Settings and select Restore Default. That resets everything to factory.

If none of this works, then you likely have a problem with the set itself. Absent a firmware fix, you are probably SOL.
JEB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #12

Still fighting this issue with the local dealer. If I had bought these TVs from Costco and had this problem I would return them for a full refund. Too bad when I buy a very expensive RV I can not get the same service and have to keep TVs that do not function properly.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

I have never heard of this before...but if we can narrow down the issue to what exactly is at fault, it will help. Maybe a loose connection is not letting enough power through whatever cable it is?
My Isata 5 has a Samsung DVD from you, never checked for BluRay or not. But it is Samsung.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrussell View Post
I think Barch hit the nail on the head. We have the Jensen JWM6a and when using the HDMI ARC feature the volume will drop out with low volume moments.
I have set the input to AUX2 and that resolves the drop out issue.
We rented a Thor motorhome once that had a Jensen tv and we quit watching it because we could not hear it unless the rv was dead silent. What you say may be why.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Still fighting this issue with the local dealer. If I had bought these TVs from Costco and had this problem I would return them for a full refund. Too bad when I buy a very expensive RV I can not get the same service and have to keep TVs that do not function properly.
Have you called ASA directly? Or tried a different TV as a test? The Jensen TV,s are supplied by ASA and they have a pretty good track record of support. To have both TVs have an issue though, makes it seem like it’s not the TV.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #16

I've been chasing this for almost a year - with ASA, you, and the local dealer. I've even brought the TVs into my house and connected them to my system -- and they exhibit the issue where my house TV does not. The dealer has videoed the issue and so have I. The dealer tech agrees that this should not be happening. Movie background noise drops to nothing -- and then kicks in again. It has definitely been diagnosed to the TVs. If someone would give me the retail value of the 2 TVs I would go get new TVs on my own and trash these -- they are too annoying to try and watch.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Shoot me the last 8 of your VIN and I'll reach out to my ASA rep.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #18

As a final follow-up. ASA decided to refund the cost of the two TVs after being sent some videos of the issue. We purchased a replacement Samsung TV and they have no issues with the sound. Hopefully ASA will be able to use the returned TVs to debug their audio amplifier circuit. I have 39 years in the integration and test of some very complex systems and have seen supplier parts go out of spec because of some simple 'replacement' components being used.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #19
Commercial Member

In ASA's defense, their tech call log, had your issue marked as "resolved" (which I think might be why no follow up). It looks like they sent a replacement DVD player. I don't think they were paying close enough attention that were were two problems. When they showed me that it was "resolved" I read the log notes and pointed out that only fixed the non-playing DVD, but not the sound. I haven't heard since until now, but they said they would handle it.

Tags
jensen