Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
I've had MH tires unbead. Sometimes if you hit them with high enough air pressure (sometimes you need to take the schrader valve out of the stem) they will re-bead. If that doesnt work, a rachet strap wrapped around the tire and tightened usually does the trick. In extreme situations I have even pulled the schrader valve, squirted a quick spritz of ether (WD40 works too) into the valve stem and put a match up to the valve stem. There is a big "pop", a small woosh of flame out the valve stem and the tire is re-beaded. Contrary to urban myth, the tire does not explode, catch fire or fly 6 feet into the air. Just dont get your face close to the valve stem when you light it.
I thought about doing that but instead, I used the leveling system to get the tires off the ground which I figured would at least leave the bead equally spaced all around the wheel. I had to drive to a different truck stop because the one I had stopped at had literally no air pressure.

Point is, it worked with enough pressure and so far, still seated...

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I get on the road and about 50 miles into it, I stop at my local truck stop and check my fluids and tire pressures as I always do.

The inner right tire had no air in it at all. The bead was broken off the rim and couldn't hold pressure. I called a mobile tire repair place and they said they wouldn't be able to do anything because it was run flat (technically, it wasn't)

So I used the leveling system, raised the tires off the ground and put air in it. It worked just fine and I monitored all weekend and never had a problem (I suspect the valve stem extension leaked) Good thing I installed those TMPS sensors on all the wheels... they're annoying but it works.
Quote:
1) I wanted the tire taken off, inspected, replaced if necc. or at the very least tell me what was wrong with it. It hadn't been run flat, I'm pretty sure the air leaked out while sitting at the dealer.
Quote:
I thought about doing that but instead, I used the leveling system to get the tires off the ground which I figured would at least leave the bead equally spaced all around the wheel. I had to drive to a different truck stop because the one I had stopped at had literally no air pressure.

Point is, it worked with enough pressure and so far, still seated...

Mark

Mark, I'm still "very" concerned about this tire. You have stated previously that you think the air leaked out at the dealer but also say you drove it at least 50 miles from there....which is what we in the TIRE business do consider running it while on flat (for awhile). You may be thinking of something else with the terminology of "run flat". We in the biz say it was "run flat" if you continued to drive with no/or very low air pressure.

I just am scared for you over possible internal damage from running this tire while it was flat. I could not trust it, and strongly suggest you have it checked out (ie dismounted).

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #23

The fact that you can do this is definitely a WIN!

Quote:
1)

I don't want them touching my paint... I'll fix it myself.