Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I can't say I've ever seen someone pulling a 3/4 Ton truck as a TOAD. That's at least an extra 3 tons to pull.
My wife's Grandfather used to flat tow his 3/4 ton long bed Ford everywhere behind their class B. He had one of those cable actuated driveshaft disconnects that he operated from inside the cab.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlyAl View Post
My following question is only intended for my own curiosity as I am not a motor coach owner and definitely would have no expertise in offering an educated opinion to your TOAD question. With you being an owner of a Ram 2500, why did you choose the Dynamax as opposed to a 5th wheel or a larger TT? It would seem that a 5th wheel would give you abundant space and you would have your vehicle to use at all times.
In addition to what bclemens wrote, we also prefer the motorhome over a trailer because of the increased flexibility in how it can be used. We don't need to take a toad on all trips. We have the option of taking only the motorhome, or MH plus bicycles on a rack, or MH plus motorcycle in a trailer, or MH with boat on a trailer, or MH plus toad. With a TT or 5th wheel, you must always take both vehicles along on a camping trip, truck and trailer. With the motorhome, you usually have more options in ways to travel on different types of trips.

Also, as bclemens mentioned, the MH is self contained and climate controlled at all times. For example, when traveling on a hot day, at a lunch stop the kitchen is right behind you and the living space is already cooled down. And as was already mentioned, if the weather outside is bad, there is no need to even go outside if you want a bathroom, want to fix a meal at a rest area, or just arrived at camp and want to eat, or watch TV a bit while waiting for the rain to stop.

With a motorhome, if you want to stop for an overnight at Walmart, you can pull in with an already warmed or cooled camper, park, lock the doors, and go to bed. No need to even go outside.

There is no perfect RV solution for everyone, but the motorhome plus toad works well for many people.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #43

We are switching from a 32’ fiver to a 30’ Class C for all the reasons above. The DW is much happier spending the day in the C rather than in the F350. Plus, on hot days the fiver took a couple of hours to cool off once we arrived at the CG. The C will be cool all the time. Years ago we had a smaller C. We once pulled into a CG in Colorado during a severe T storm. We just sat inside with the generator running the A/C and waited it out. A lot better that sitting in the F350 for half a hour.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #44
Senior Members

It the convenience of being able to use your own toad anytime without reservation as where do I go to rent whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwkilmer View Post
New to the Dynamax Family with our purchase of a 2020 Dynamax DX3 37TS this past July. Have done all the research for the equipment necessary to tow my 2018 RAM 2500 4X4 Mega Cab and worked with the Dealer on a price to purchase and install. But now having a debate with my wife on the expense as the two trips that we have taken we have rented a car each week for $250 each time. Then my son has chimed in on the wear and tear that towing the 2500 will have on the truck and the fact that it is a heavy vehicle to be towing. I am looking for thoughts/opinions on towing vs renting. I like the flexibility of towing but maybe I am underestimating the wear and tear on my truck and my concern of always being able to get a rent a car.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #45

just check your truck's manual and see what is says about flat towing. that might answer your question for you
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #46

"I am looking for thoughts/opinions on towing vs renting. I like the flexibility of towing but maybe I am underestimating the wear and tear on my truck and my concern of always being able to get a rent a car".

Just rationalize and apply the same justification you used to spend those big bucks on the motorhome.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #47

I really truly appreciate all the comments, this forum and Mr Clemens participation is one of the reasons I purchased a Dynamax. I had a 2014 HD Cyclone 42' Toy Hauler by Heartland and a 2014 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Dully and Mr Clemens comments along with the setup/break down time are the reasons we went to the SuperC. We did live in the Toy Hauler with the two Greyhounds for a year while the house was being built and the one thing I do miss are the two decks ( rear and especially the side deck both of which had awning ). Would love to have a deck option on the DX3. The DX3 traveling with the dogs and setup/break down is a dream. When we stop now it is for diesel and bathroom for dogs and driving the DX3 compared to the 42' Toy Hauler is a dream. As far as the Toad we will rent a car and I will setup the RAM 2500 Mega Cab for towing and we will rent a trailer if we want to take the two Harley's so we will use all three options depending where we are going.... Again thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
mwkilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #48

With the 20K pound towing limit of your Dynamax, I doubt you'll know your pickup is even back there. I don't flat tow, but the one post mentioned a little extra wearing of the front tires and prevented that by rotating them often, so I'd go with that advice.

As far as having a toad or not, rental, Uber, shuttles, etc., my wife and I couldn't even think of being without her car with us that we tow on a dolly. Same thing here with rotating the tires to make up for the rears getting more wear. Probably the worst thing about towing a vehicle behind you is in most cases you can't back up. That can present a problem if you make a wrong turn or your GPS takes you down a dirt road. When we get into the more urban area or gas stations for that matter, it is something that I have to be very mind full of.

There is a post on another forum that discusses what to pack into your RV for supplies such as tools, spare parts, etc. When you have a toad with you, that will lessen your need to stock an entire auto parts store in your rig should you have some kind of break down on the road or at a campsite. Or course for those out West where the closet store may be 100 miles away, that might be a different story.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #49

Being proboly one of the youngest people on here with a DX3, im in the opposite situation. Never, until now, have i towed a vehicle behind my coach. Normally always towing a trailer with ATV's, etc in it.

The DX3 i purchased had only 8K miles on it, and came with a Blue Ox tow bar rated for 10K(I think). I fabricated a custom mount for my raptor and have towed in behind the coach to places a few times now...all for work related stuff.

I got to say, its VERY VERY VERY nice to arrive somewhere, disconnect the Raptor, and drive it around. Having your own vehicle (not a rental) with you is VERY nice. I see why so many people do it now. It espically comes in handy if mid-trip you want to run around a town, go shopping, or go through a drive thru.

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwkilmer View Post
New to the Dynamax Family with our purchase of a 2020 Dynamax DX3 37TS this past July. Have done all the research for the equipment necessary to tow my 2018 RAM 2500 4X4 Mega Cab and worked with the Dealer on a price to purchase and install. But now having a debate with my wife on the expense as the two trips that we have taken we have rented a car each week for $250 each time. Then my son has chimed in on the wear and tear that towing the 2500 will have on the truck and the fact that it is a heavy vehicle to be towing. I am looking for thoughts/opinions on towing vs renting. I like the flexibility of towing but maybe I am underestimating the wear and tear on my truck and my concern of always being able to get a rent a car.

That should have been figured in at the beginning. I will say it is a lot cheaper to tow than to rent. And nothing can compare to your own. There is so much more or there that you will not see without a getaround. I've been rving for 15 years, and debated a long time on how to go; class c, motor coach, or fiver. I went with fiver. The main reason, is I knew I had to have a getaround, so I might as well drive it. Never looked back. Love it.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #51

With your DX3 you will barely even feel a 2500 towing it, just be sure to get a good braking system for it.

I tow a 12K pound 28' trailer with my DX3 and it handles it great. And when you flat tow the 2500 you have no tongue weight.

When not pulling the race car trailer, I flat tow a Jeep Gladiator truck. I have a spare tire mounted on a wheel for the DX3 that fits nicely in the back of the Gladiator. I don't have to worry about finding a matching tire if I have a blowout on the AlCan while driving through the Yukon. And in a pinch I can change the tire/wheel myself.
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
I have a spare tire mounted on a wheel for the DX3 that fits nicely in the back of the Gladiator. I don't have to worry about finding a matching tire if I have a blowout on the AlCan while driving through the Yukon. And in a pinch I can change the tire/wheel myself.
Now that's impressive! What tools do you carry that allow you to do that? Jacks, torque wrench (impact), air compressor (dX3?). In thinking about it I can visualize how you could do that.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:38 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
Now that's impressive! What tools do you carry that allow you to do that? Jacks, torque wrench (impact), air compressor (dX3?). In thinking about it I can visualize how you could do that.
I have a battery powered impact made for changing large truck tires, over 600 ft lbs of torque. I have a torque stick for it that sets proper torque when tightening. 6 ton hydraulic Jack to put under the axle for safety, easy to use the levelers to raise one wheel off of the ground. You use 2 4' steel bars to pick the wheel up onto the hub. Not theory, I've done it several times on other rigs and once on the DX3 for practice.

Don't get me wrong, if I have phone service and can get roadside assist, I will let them change it. But in a pinch it can be done if you know what you're doing. I had to search and order the right size Michelin tire to match the rig, can't imagine trying to find one on a holiday weekend in the boonies.

I did try a high power air impact but the 120 psi onboard air wouldn't break the lugnuts loose. The battery powered unit has no problem at all and comes with 2 batteries and a rapid charger. You can do 1 wheel with power to spare on 1 fully charged battery.
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, tow vehicle