Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #1

Kenwood DNX775RVS Dash Cam and M2 Dash Bezel Body Color Match

Today I installed the Kenwood DRV-N520 Dash Cam which is compatible with the Kenwood DNX775RVS that is in a lot of the newer coaches. I thought I would post some pictures and observation to make anyone else considering it a little more informed, or prepared. If you are not comfortable with wiring, DO NOT ATTEMPT! There is a lot going on behind the head unit!

First you will have to remove the dashboard bezel. The plastic one that goes around all of the dashboard buttons and screens. All of the screws are located around the perimeter. The MobileEye screen is taped to the bezel and has to be removed. The Microphone input for the head unit is also on the bezel, but it is only wedged on its edge and easily removed. Once the bezel is off you will be able to remove the Trim Ring around the head unit and access the 2 screws needed to remove it. The 2 screws are above the screen and the head unit and the mounting sleeve will come out together.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Head Unit Out3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	267857

The DNX775RVS is directly compatible with the DRV-N520 camera and has a Yellow RCA Video input and additional connector on the back of the head unit. It is easiest to unplug the main harness from the head unit to allow access for the next step. There are 3 wires that will need to be spliced, or wire-tapped into the main DNX775RVS harness. Red (ignition 12v), Yellow (Battery 12v) and Black (Ground). The wires are the same color so ID is easy enough. I used wire taps and was able to get them onto the head unit main harness without much struggle. THAT SAID, you will need to be very patient inside the dashboard, and possible reshuffle and move some wires around to make things easier on yourself when putting everything back together. Patience and not forcing it is key for sure. The wire harness that comes with the Dashcam is almost perfect length to get from the top of the windshield down and around the drivers side to then route back under the Bezel that had to come off. Follow the wire for the Microphone to run the wire into the dash.

Name:	Dashcam1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	267849 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dashcam2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	267851

While I had the Bezel off I thought it would be neat to factory match the color to the blue exterior of the coach to bring a little pop to the dash.

Name:	Paint1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	267848 Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	267852

Name:	Installed2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	267854 Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	267856

All back together and I am very happy with the final outcome. Getting the head unit back into the pocket with all of the wires was the most time consuming part as you need to work at it in small bites. Eventually you will find it walks its way in though. It was no problem to run the wire from the dash cam around the windshield while keeping everything hidden. In my opinion well worth the effort. Having the Dashcam as an additional feature will be nice, especially if something were to happen up front now. As for the paint color I am very happy. It's the little things that you do that add up and set it apart from the rest!

Name:	Installed1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	267853
11FT Triton ATV Trailer / Artic Cat SXS
Retired: 2011 Dutchman Aerolite/2015 FR Heritage Glen
FORCE of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:43 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Blue is a cool idea. painting the woodgrain to match the silver body color would dial it right in.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Blue is a cool idea. painting the woodgrain to match the silver body color would dial it right in.
Thanks Brian. I definitely agree with painting the woodgrain. A friend and I have a side business where I cut metal on my CNC plasma machine, and he does high end hydrographic paint and finishing (he's going to be mad when he finds out I painted the bezel myself out of impatience!). The burlwood pattern used on the dashboard made me think of a similar pattern we have used in limousines and plaques (seen below). I think for the redo of the dash panels I will have him use the same Brushed Aluminum pattern we used on the outter most part of the plaque below.

I am actually fairly excited to getting around to redoing the grill with a custom insert similar to the Dynamax offering. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220117-083355_Photos.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	267870Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220117-084355_Photos.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	267873Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220117-085020_Photos.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	267874
Old 01-17-2022, 12:44 PM   #4
2022 Dynamax Europa 31SS

Thanks for sharing your in-dash experience. My first project was to relocate the Echomaster camera monitor. For me, I like a clean view out the windshield and that big monitor was a distraction--especially while night driving--too bright to be comfortable. Like you, I discovered a huge rats nest and with patience it all worked out. While the entire dash was apart I also relocated the Kenwood mic to the upper left of the windshield, replaced the stock front speakers, and installed a front camera mounted inside the front grill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	267878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2428.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	267879  
M_I_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #5

Thanks M_I_A, your dash definitely looks nice and clean that way. I definitely understand the want to have it as you prefer! I did not get the tire pressure monitor with my rig, but do have it on order with the dealer. I like where yours is installed.

For anyone who has not tried the Kenwood Screen Controls app for the phone I suggest it. When opened it mirrors what is on the Kenwood Headunit onto the Android tablet running the app. My wife can now verify or make small changes for me without having to touch the main unit. We just keep the extra tablet in the coach.

Quick tip, those that don't follow the installation instructions are the ones complaining about it not working. You are supposed to establish wifi connection with the Kenwood head unit, and THEN instal and run the app on your android device. I am pretty sure that's what gets people who are complaining in the comments

I followed this video:
https://youtu.be/VSiOSnubn04

Name:	Screenshot_20220117-125924_Google%20Play%20Store.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	267880
Old 01-18-2022, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_I_A View Post
Thanks for sharing your in-dash experience. My first project was to relocate the Echomaster camera monitor. For me, I like a clean view out the windshield and that big monitor was a distraction--especially while night driving--too bright to be comfortable. Like you, I discovered a huge rats nest and with patience it all worked out. While the entire dash was apart I also relocated the Kenwood mic to the upper left of the windshield, replaced the stock front speakers, and installed a front camera mounted inside the front grill.
M I A,

A few questions if you don't mind... What year and model do you have? Everything looks the same as my 2017 DX3 but nicer...lol. You have much nicer looking seats, the carpet looks cleaner under that mat and your dash though the same, has a cleaner look. (perhaps the black bezel?)

Second thing, so are you using the factory head unit and then added the Echomaster unit? Can you send some closer up pics of how you mounted them?

Which head unit are you using? I hate the one that came with my DX3 and am looking to upgrade to something else. I have a switch installed to view different cameras when I'm towing my trailer but would love to have a larger screen like your Echomaster.

Thanks,

Mark

(PS. orangecrush1962@gmail.com if you send pics)

Thanks!
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #7
2022 Dynamax Europa 31SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
M I A,

A few questions if you don't mind... What year and model do you have? Everything looks the same as my 2017 DX3 but nicer...lol. You have much nicer looking seats, the carpet looks cleaner under that mat and your dash though the same, has a cleaner look. (perhaps the black bezel?)

Second thing, so are you using the factory head unit and then added the Echomaster unit? Can you send some closer up pics of how you mounted them?

Which head unit are you using? I hate the one that came with my DX3 and am looking to upgrade to something else. I have a switch installed to view different cameras when I'm towing my trailer but would love to have a larger screen like your Echomaster.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks!
My coach is a 2022 Europa (haven't figured out how to add info to the sidebar under my member name yet). Everything is new which would explain why it is still clean.

The head unit is the stock Kenwood DNX775RVS that came with the coach. Also, the Echomaster came with the coach and was mounted on top of the dash.

Moving/mounting the Echomaster was the easiest part of the job. It came mounted to the dash with the Echomaster fan-style bracket (part number DMB-1). Here are the steps used to relocate:

1. Remove mount from dash--5 screws and it was taped down.
2. Remove ashtray--2 screws to be reused.
3. Cut mounting plate from scrap metal--about 4" x 6"
4. Drill mounting plate to match 2 screws from ashtray and some holes to attach fan-style bracket.
5. Attach fan-style bracket to mounting plate.
6. Attach mounting plate over removed ashtray using same screws. I also added VHB tape to the mounting plate to stiffen it. Using only the two ashtray screws wasn't quite enough.
7. Attach monitor and clean up the wiring.

I haven't driven the coach yet since relocating it so I cannot say if it will work for me. Three negatives are that I have to be mindful as I move from the seat to the back, it blocks the fan controls a bit, and I have to look down to view. Blocking of the controls isn't really a big deal and I typically only use the backup view. I've been driving with mirrors more years than I'll admit and the stock Freightliner ones give all the side view I (think) need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2434.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	267940  
M_I_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
M I A,

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks!
Time to upgrade that '17. It's all new now.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Time to upgrade that '17. It's all new now.
What year did anything change? Btw, I fat fingered my keyboard, it’s an 18.

I’ve been looking at new ones but hAvent seen anything that caught my eye except Newmars new super C.

😋
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
I’ve been looking at new ones but hAvent seen anything that caught my eye except Newmars new super C.

😋
Ohhhh, shots fired!
Old 01-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #11

I'll be interested in hearing a review/your opinion on the Kenwood camera, I've almost pulled trigger on one of those a few times now. I have a standard dash-cam by Rove that I'll be leaving in the RV in meantime. It looks like the only benefits would be auto-on and lane assist that I could obtain by changing to the Kenwood.

I do like the idea of integration with the head unit though.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #12

I also have this camera in my basket!! After putting a little over 8k miles on our 20 Dx3 ,I definitely see the need for a dash cam.
Also like the relocation of the Echomaster. I hate stuff on the dash!!!
SheltonsDX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:46 AM   #13

I realize these things are luxury items, but, I underestimated just exactly how much I'd be killing my credit card post Dynamax purchase.

I need to let it catch its breath for a few months.

Jim
Old 01-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
I realize these things are luxury items, but, I underestimated just exactly how much I'd be killing my credit card post Dynamax purchase.

I need to let it catch its breath for a few months.

Jim
You mean until the tax return money comes! Haha

I will be taking a trip from PA to FLA tomorrow for the Rolex 24hour race @ Daytona and will no doubt play with, and see how the dash cam performs. Will report back.

We also just bought another 10in android tablet to pair and use with the Kenwood Screen Controls app so my wife or passenger can hold the tablet and adjust music, navigation, search information etc. All the testing I have done with that app has been great. It just mirrors what is on the main head unit and lets you control it. The tablet lives on a heavy duty magnetic mount that I put where the blank CB panel is in my rig(we have portable CB and Radio units). The tablet also seems large enough that it can be seen from the back when on the couch which is where my wife often finds herself when tending to kids. I can also see it pretty well from the drivers seat, but the portability is the best part I think.

Additional perk of it living on the blank CB radio plate is that I can quickly turn on the tablets camera and it defaults to Selfie Mode or Self Facing, and I can use it like a rear view mirror to see what those behind me are doing at a glance.

Lastly, my Bluefire arrives today and that will also work with the tablet as well.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCE of Nature View Post
You mean until the tax return money comes! Haha

I will be taking a trip from PA to FLA tomorrow for the Rolex 24hour race @ Daytona and will no doubt play with, and see how the dash cam performs. Will report back.

We also just bought another 10in android tablet to pair and use with the Kenwood Screen Controls app so my wife or passenger can hold the tablet and adjust music, navigation, search information etc. All the testing I have done with that app has been great. It just mirrors what is on the main head unit and lets you control it. The tablet lives on a heavy duty magnetic mount that I put where the blank CB panel is in my rig(we have portable CB and Radio units). The tablet also seems large enough that it can be seen from the back when on the couch which is where my wife often finds herself when tending to kids. I can also see it pretty well from the drivers seat, but the portability is the best part I think.

Additional perk of it living on the blank CB radio plate is that I can quickly turn on the tablets camera and it defaults to Selfie Mode or Self Facing, and I can use it like a rear view mirror to see what those behind me are doing at a glance.

Lastly, my Bluefire arrives today and that will also work with the tablet as well.

We are an Apple family with all of our devices. I tried to download the Kenwood Screen Controls app as you suggested, however it does not seem to work with my iPhone or iPad. It’s highly likely I am just slow in figuring it out.

I have been using the BlueFire for about 18 months now and absolutely love it. Only negative to me is creating a new layout can be a bit clunky. Not as intuitive as I would like to see. Again, it is more likely user unfamiliarity than the fault of the BlueFire app.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
We are an Apple family with all of our devices. I tried to download the Kenwood Screen Controls app as you suggested, however it does not seem to work with my iPhone or iPad. It’s highly likely I am just slow in figuring it out.

I have been using the BlueFire for about 18 months now and absolutely love it. Only negative to me is creating a new layout can be a bit clunky. Not as intuitive as I would like to see. Again, it is more likely user unfamiliarity than the fault of the BlueFire app.
Thanks for the not on the Bluefire. I will take my time with that one.

As for the iPhone/iPad not working, only thing I can say that might help is make sure your before you install the app that you connect to the head units wifi network (password 12345678), then install the app. Make sure the wifi connection is still made with the head unit, and then turn on the app. I could not get my app to connect until I tried that method that I read to try. Might be apples and oranges when it comes to Apple and Android though.

Walmart had this very reasonable Onn brand 10" Android tablet that we purchased to use just for the camper.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-10-1-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-25-2022, 09:19 AM   #17

[QUOTE=FORCE of Nature;2687545]Thanks for the not on the Bluefire. I will take my time with that one.

You can share screens with other BlueFire users. Another forum member shared one of his screens with me early on. I only tweaked a couple of things because he set it up very well, so I figured why reinvent the wheel. It was a jump start for me to get it up and running. I would be glad to share it with you if you are interested. Just send me a PM with your email address and I’ll shoot it to you.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #18

[QUOTE=MoJoe1003;2687570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCE of Nature View Post
Thanks for the not on the Bluefire. I will take my time with that one.

You can share screens with other BlueFire users. Another forum member shared one of his screens with me early on. I only tweaked a couple of things because he set it up very well, so I figured why reinvent the wheel. It was a jump start for me to get it up and running. I would be glad to share it with you if you are interested. Just send me a PM with your email address and I’ll shoot it to you.
That sounds awesome! PM sent! Thanks so much!!
Old 01-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #19

I'm actually running a 9-pin splitter and have both bluefire and scangauge installed and running simultaneously. I'd take your dash screen share too MoJoe if you don't mind.

Jim
Old 01-25-2022, 06:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
I'm actually running a 9-pin splitter and have both bluefire and scangauge installed and running simultaneously. I'd take your dash screen share too MoJoe if you don't mind.

Jim

Will do. I will try to do it on Wednesday.