Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #1

keyless RV door panel stopped working, found the issue

Our keyless door entry started with a peeping noise a few weeks ago while closing the RV entry door, and eventually stopped working altogether. Since it never did that before we first thought it might be a battery going south, and hijacked another forum battery related threat(long story). The door on our Isata 5 30FW is hardwired and has no external contact points, as some do. Today we finally got a very busy mobile repair shop to help us. Beforehand, we talked to the door manufacturer and Trimark, the keypad manufacturer, and they were extremely helpful pointing us towards isolating the possible cause. Kudos to Dynamax for providing the detailed supplier sheets.
What we found might trigger another Kaizen event at Dynamax, as the cause of the failure is small and preventable.
Basically the 2 12 Volt wires are wedged into the door jam and inside of the door which allows no flex or movement while opening and closing the door, and subsequently the 2 wires completely broke off. The repair should have been pulling new wires but we could not do so since disassembling the door jam and the door inside panel to allow for more room for the wires to move freely was impossible. We ended up splicing in 2 wires inside the door exposed conduit. It fixed the issue, and the wife is happy being able to use our great Keyless entry door again.
In case you have the same door assembly you might want to remove the black inside door panel and the exposed conduit and see if you have free wire movement, while opening and closing the door, to prevent the same PITA failure.
Attached are the pictures of what we found. Hope this helps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	door wire.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	253701

Name:	door wire 3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	253702

Name:	door wire 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	253703
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I would like to go on record that I called this on post #22.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-212816-2.html

"The fact that you heard beeping when the door was shut, leads me to think opening the door is straining the wires and then closing it restores the connection (as a logical guess)."

<pats self on back, pulls 6 muscles>

We will pass this on to PTL as this is their door and wiring.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'm sure this qualifies for 'Workmens Comp" and is good for 6 months paid leave, at least here in CA.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I'm sure this qualifies for 'Workmens Comp" and is good for 6 months paid leave, at least here in CA.
So just like unemployment then...but half the time

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:37 PM   #5

Mine has the system where the contacts touch when the door closes. They are not stainless and they rust very quick making the contacts not work. Literally if it rains in the morning - that night the keypad won’t work.

What I’m going to do is put a stainless steel wire pigtail on the door, the inside of the door, and bring that into the wall and down to the wires. It will not be in the jam so it won’t be crushed and damaged when closing.

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #6

A wire coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I would like to go on record that I called this on post #22.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-212816-2.html

"The fact that you heard beeping when the door was shut, leads me to think opening the door is straining the wires and then closing it restores the connection (as a logical guess)."

We will pass this on to PTL as this is their door and wiring.
PTL could use a little more wire, coiled around a pencil prior to assembly, on either side of the boot. The coil allows some flex without concentrating the strain at a single point.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
PTL could use a little more wire, coiled around a pencil prior to assembly, on either side of the boot. The coil allows some flex without concentrating the strain at a single point.
Larry, Easy fix during assembly for sure. It also seems to me that the Boot offset, between door and door jam, was by mistake and in such caused the wires to be strained. Additionally I was surprised to find both sides of the wires pinched to not allow for any movement and or replacement of the wires if needed. I'm concerned that the wires could also be damaged were they are pinched. Unfortunately we could not remove and replace the wires completely.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #8

Mine used an even worse system of contacts that come together when the door closes. They rust almost immediatly after rain.

Solved here, see my post:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...er-231521.html
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, panel