Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #1

Kitchen Slide, Cabinet Separates from Counter Top

I am hopeful the attached pictures tells the story better than I can describe in writing. My issue is that when the kitchen slide comes in the counter top separates from the frame and side wall (splash). With the slide out there is no separation. Where it is separating (counter top from splash) it was caulked from the factory meaning it should not separate.

We noticed this on our last trip looking for squeak while moving.

Not sure if the video can be viewed, but it shows the separation happening as the slide is 90% in until it stops. I have a theory, but it's only that. The 2015 Dynamax DX3 has a curved shell and the slide exterior is curved. My theory is that the curves are not the same and when the outer frame of the slide makes contact with the body it is spreading the outer frame and all attached to it. To exaggerate, picture what would happen if a curved frame was pressed up against a straight frame (body).
Any suggestions are welcomed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191005-110834_Photos.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	216663

Name:	Screenshot_20191005-114633_Photos.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	216664

Name:	Screenshot_20191005-114333_Photos.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	216665

Name:	Screenshot_20191005-111500_Photos.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	216666

Name:	Screenshot_20191005-112100_Photos.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	216667
Old 10-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

I would not think it the curve of the body doing this. I think as the slide box comes up on the floor rollers when retracting it is causing a bowing of the floor causing the counter/cabinet to pull away from each other and closes up when the box is extended and the floor is flat. Something to check is how tight is the slide box at the top when closed as compared to the bottom maybe its pulling in to hard at the top causing this problem. Yes these are wags without actually observing the operation it hard to tell the real problem.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
Commercial Member

I would agree with the above. What is likely happening is that when the slide is IN, the weight of the cabinets/floor/counter is dropping DOWN and thus separating. Which is also why the leading edge has a larger gap than the back edge...its the leading edge that is dropping. When the slide is OUT, the leading edge is supported by the main coach floor and is raising back up into place.

I would think, a brace that supported the cabinet body, screw into the slide framing would eliminate this. I would NOT try to support just the countertop. because if it drops and you support the countertop only...then the gap just moves down to between the counter and the cabinet.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #4

Cabinet dropping - slide in

Thank you both for your insight. Thinking this may be the case, I placed some sloped plastic shims up against the support wheel under the cabinet in order to have the slide ride up them in an attempt to close the gap. I made sure the wheel rode up to the tallest portion of the shim (3/16-1/4"), unfortunately it made little difference. It is important to note I only shimmed one wheel, the one under the cabinet nearest the separation point. Maybe I need to do this test with a shim under all support wheels. If this is the case, would a larger roller wheel possibly be a fix? Or would it cause binding when the slide is out?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #5

As I think about this I think you should close the slide and check how it is fitting the outside wall measure the distance both top and bottom. Slide gaskets only need to be depressed about 50% to work correctly. I'm leaning toward the top of the slide box coming in to far and causing the separation. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #6

Cabinet dropping - slide in

Thanks, I will check the alignment and get some pics and report back.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #7

I am of the "trailer trash" group(yes I am jealous) so I can only assume similarities in operation.

When my slide/slides come in or out they do all kinds of "flexing"...or should I say the walls do. I try not to watch too closely as it is concerning to say the least.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

One answer and one answer only

[QUOTE=Danandtina;2196839]I am hopeful the attached pictures tells the story better than I can describe in writing. My issue is that when the kitchen slide comes in the counter top separates from the frame and side wall (splash). With the slide out there is no separation. Where it is separating (counter top from splash) it was caulked from the factory meaning it should not separate.

We noticed this on our last trip looking for squeak while moving.

Not sure if the video can be viewed, but it shows the separation happening as the slide is 90% in until it stops. I have a theory, but it's only that. The 2015 Dynamax DX3 has a curved shell and the slide exterior is curved. My theory is that the curves are not the same and when the outer frame of the slide makes contact with the body it is spreading the outer frame and all attached to it. To exaggerate, picture what would happen if a curved frame was pressed up against a straight frame (body).
Any suggestions are welcomed.

You do not need to be doing any of this. This is a dealer repair problem. We all know that separation is not acceptable and needs to be addressed ASAP. If you see movement there, where else is there movement. Now the dealer is going to tell you " That is how they make them now." or "It's ok for it to do that." If you have the opportunity to check out another unit same as yours while there, do so and see if that unit flexes as well. If it does that still doesn't mean it is right. Our Coachman was missing 2 blocks that keep water out of the tt when traveling on the roadway. Went to the dealer and there were another 9 units same model as ours that were missing the same 2 blocks. We had been told the leak was coming from the top drivers side of the slide out. They had no clue until I contacted Coachman and they sent pictures of the blocks.

OMG that was way to long. Short version you paid a lot of money for that unit. I'm sure you did not buy it as a project to work on in your spare time.

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide