Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #1

Later model REV upgrades

Last year I purchased a new 2015 REV. This is my 4th coach and my second Forrest River product. For the most part, I really like this coach. I did notice a few design flaws that seem to be changed in the later models. That's what you get with a first year model. It would be nice if there were some way to retrofit some of the later model improvements to my '15 model.
Specifically though, I do have a couple of questions.

1) I have an issue with my battery draining very quickly if not using the battery disconnect switch. I believe that this is attributable to the irv8305 DVD player constantly drawing power even when "powered off". I am trying various thing to see if this is the real culprit. Even though I bot this unit a year ago, it has been in the shop for about 9 months of that time, so I haven't had a lot of time to test things out.

2) With respect to #1 above, is there any way to turn off the display on the DVD player. Even when in power off mode, it has a very bright light which makes it difficult to sleep. Right now, I have to cover it up with something at night.

3) I noticed the 2016 model has a different configuration for the sewer outlet. Mine drags over the slightest bump which is constantly causing me to replace the cover. Is there anything that can be done to raise or reconfigure this on my rig? Or should I just be consigned to replacing the sewer cap after each trip?

That's all for now. I'd appreciate any input anyone has.
waynelary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

One other thing

One other thing:

If the battery happens to run out with the steps extended (2015 REV) there is no way to retract them. Starting the engine does not work and there is no battery to start the generator. The only way I have found is to plug in, which may not be an option. Is there a manual retraction mechanism for the steps?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynelary View Post
Last year I purchased a new 2015 REV. This is my 4th coach and my second Forrest River product. For the most part, I really like this coach. I did notice a few design flaws that seem to be changed in the later models. That's what you get with a first year model. It would be nice if there were some way to retrofit some of the later model improvements to my '15 model.

1) I have an issue with my battery draining very quickly if not using the battery disconnect switch. I believe that this is attributable to the irv8305 DVD player constantly drawing power even when "powered off". I am trying various thing to see if this is the real culprit. Even though I bot this unit a year ago, it has been in the shop for about 9 months of that time, so I haven't had a lot of time to test things out.

2) With respect to #1 above, is there any way to turn off the display on the DVD player. Even when in power off mode, it has a very bright light which makes it difficult to sleep. Right now, I have to cover it up with something at night.

3) I noticed the 2016 model has a different configuration for the sewer outlet. Mine drags over the slightest bump which is constantly causing me to replace the cover. Is there anything that can be done to raise or reconfigure this on my rig? Or should I just be consigned to replacing the sewer cap after each trip?

That's all for now. I'd appreciate any input anyone has.
There may also be battery drainage from other things. TV, inverter, water pump (maybe) plus the usual like the CO detector.

I recall seeing a discussion about turning off a display light but I am not sure if it was a DVD player or a radio. There was a simple fix pushing a button or two in a particular sequence to dim it or turn it off. I will try to find it.

I knocked my sewer cap off when pulling into my bank's inclined driveway so that is still an issue but I suspect it may be worse on older models.

I posted a thread this evening about a tool that came with my new REV. I don't know what it is but my only guess is that it may be for the steps.

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

2015 Rev

I too purchased a 2015 Rev a year ago this month. Mine has also been in the shop the majority of the year. I also had problems with both the chassis and coach batteries not staying charged. Sadly, my desperation solution was to install solar panels to keep both batteries charged. A small one sits on the dash and is connected directly to battery. It can be removed if I choose but I am afraid to take that chance. The solar on the roof seems to be doing the job. A bit of an expensive fix.

I had air bags installed underneath by the tires to give some lift. there is a connection that runs to the bumper where you fill with air like you would a tire. What a difference! No more dragging and the RV rides a lot smoother. Also an expensive fix. $500 for kit and $500 to install. But, this too necessary to prevent serious damage to the RV. Would give you the info on where to get them but paperwork is in RV which is once again in the shop. This time because the awning won't open. Have used this RV 4 times and every time something goes wrong. Would have given up a long time ago if I didn't love it so much. Loved it the minute I saw it. Had never heard of the Rev and wasn't looking to buy. But....here I am. I think I have the only one in Southern California.

Good luck! Will post the air bag info when I get the RV back.
Travel gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 AM   #5

Thanks for your post. Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your REV. They are fun little coaches when they work. I'll be looking forward to seeing your info on the air bags.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Some of that issue is if you just bought this 2015 (could have shipped in 2014) in 2016, how well did the dealer take care of the unit on the lot? Most dealers are pretty good, but some, let the unit sit. They demo the unit and forget to hit the disconnect and never charge the batteries until they are completely drained. While an AGM battery can be drained lower than flooded without damage, every time it is drained below a certain point, it starts to lose capacity.

I would recommend having a load test done on the batteries. Also, I think some of the 2015's only had one battery. I always suggest (2)...although solar can help that.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
, how well did the dealer take care of the unit on the lot?
They demo the unit and forget to hit the disconnect and never charge the batteries until they are completely drained.
One of the reasons I am not buying from the "lot" - I rather wait 3 months till I get a new unit, not a unit which was demoed to 100 people, test driven, abused like visitors used the bathroom (believe me, seen it) and.....

My second coach is on the way from the factory to the dealer as we speak....
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
Commercial Member

...on the way from the factory, being driven like a 4 year old playing Mario Kart.

Just kidding

Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #9

2015 Rev

My Rev was purchased in 2015. I must have the scaled down model because I did not get any tools for the step or a ladder to get into the bed. I read about all the things others have on theirs and it makes me wonder what happened to mine. This is what happens when you purchase on emotion.

B. Clemens, at your request I PM'd you the VIN number of my Rev back in February. i have never heard back from you on your findings. I have had so much trouble with this coach. My family and friends think I am crazy for not returning it under the Lemon Law. But, I want nothing more than to be able to use it and enjoy it without worry.

One can only hope.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
Commercial Member

What tools for the step are you referring to?

Sorry, I thought we were waiting to hear back from Mike Thompson's, weren't they the ones that installed the security system? I recall looking over the notes from the file...you had them install some security system that tied into the batteries. I think you said they disconnected it, but there is no way for us to trouble shoot that. It has to be whoever installed it.

You say that the chassis battery is dying after 3 days. Radio is off correct? We don't tie into the Dodge battery at all....so something is getting left on that is chassis related. That should still be covered under warranty, are you still having the issue or did disconnecting alarm take care to it.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:16 AM   #11

2015 Rev

Mike Thompson removed the Magic kill switch and Glen Thomas Dodge disconnected the security system. Mike Thompson told me my battery isdues were Dodge's responsibility and Dodge told me it was a conversion issue. Since no one would assume responsibility, I went to my local Rv repair shop for help. Over the course of the year there were three trips back to Mike Thompson, one lasting a month, three trips to Dodge and four to my local RV repair. It had to be jumped at least 9 times. After using all my Auto Club jumps I started using Coach Net provided by Forest River. They even questioned me about how many times this RV had been in for repair. In June I finally had solar installed directly to the chassis battery to try to alleviate the problem. So far, it is working. Had a second coach battery added and solar installed on the roof in December because coach battery would not stay charged.

i have documented every issue with this coach since I drove it off the lot..16 typed pages worth. I was so upset with the way I was treated that I wrote to the General Manager at Mike Thompson and Peter Liegl at Forest River and included my documentation and receipts for work I had to pay for., not including the cost of roof solar panels. Mr. Liegl has responded to me that he is personally taking my issues to Jeff Babcock who will be contacting me. Mike Thompson General Manager passed my letter to his Service Manager who tells me he will be contacting the manufacturer to try to reimburse me my out of pocket expenses.

That is where things stand. I just want an RV that i can depend on and that has not been the case.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #12
Love my Rev

[QUOTE=waynelary;1260313]Last year I purchased a new 2015 REV. This is my 4th coach and my second Forrest River product. For the most part, I really like this coach. I did notice a few design flaws that seem to be changed in the later models. That's what you get with a first year model. It would be nice if there were some way to retrofit some of the later model improvements to my '15 model.

That blue light that you hardly notice during the day , but at night seems to light up the camper ? Well I fixed that by drilling a 3/4" hole and buying a round rocker switch from radio shack and wiring into the red power wire .
steve32409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Stated here...http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...b-97603-2.html

We were waiting to hear back from Glen Thomas Dodge. The VIN notes did't really tell me anything, but with all the aftermarket modifications it becomes a little tricky. There was a security system and kill switch installed by MTRV, that you say has now been disconnected, but then the 12V house battery has been replaced by (2) 6V batteries and now solar has been connected to house and chassis?

Old 08-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #14
Love my Rev

upgrades for 2015 rev

Just read this topic and now would like to know if there is a ladder and attachment I could get that will work on ours ( we use a 4ft step ladder ) and also do they make or can you buy a front window cover for for this model - thanks for any help - steve
Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
Commercial Member

yes and yes...I think. Window covers, no problem. I'm not sure if the height of the bed changed, but we do have a ladder that is designed for it now.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel gal View Post
Mike Thompson removed the Magic kill switch and Glen Thomas Dodge disconnected the security system. Mike Thompson told me my battery isdues were Dodge's responsibility and Dodge told me it was a conversion issue. So far, it is working. Had a second coach battery added and solar installed on the roof in December because coach battery would not stay charged.

That is where things stand. I just want an RV that i can depend on and that has not been the case.
Your letter did get to Pete, which is now sitting on my desk. First and foremost, I hope that the battery is holding a charge now. My biggest concern is that we have no way of knowing what the alarm system tapped into...and it appears from your notes that even when MTRV claimed to disconnect the alarm there was still a relay below the seat drawing power (from Dodge dealer).

As a note to anyone who comes across this issue or is thinking about it...with the new automotive chassis and CANbus systems, DO NOT, install aftermarket accessories that tie into the chassis. They aren't old school like they used to be and even my electrical engineer has issues getting the things that we want to get from the OEM chassis. It used to be, if you wanted to get the backup camera to come on when you went into reverse...you tapped into the reverse power wire. That wire now no longer exists as it once did. Now it is a wire that comes from the CANbus signaling that you are in reverse. Sounds the same, but it is not. Things have gone from analog to digital and sometimes aftermarkets components don't speak the same language.

As for the velcro for the curtain...not sure if they have fixed that, but I think I have some heat shields that might work better. I'll get a set sent out.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #17
Love my Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel gal View Post
Mike Thompson removed the Magic kill switch and Glen Thomas Dodge disconnected the security system. Mike Thompson told me my battery isdues were Dodge's responsibility and Dodge told me it was a conversion issue. Since no one would assume responsibility, I went to my local Rv repair shop for help. Over the course of the year there were three trips back to Mike Thompson, one lasting a month, three trips to Dodge and four to my local RV repair. It had to be jumped at least 9 times. After using all my Auto Club jumps I started using Coach Net provided by Forest River. They even questioned me about how many times this RV had been in for repair. In June I finally had solar installed directly to the chassis battery to try to alleviate the problem. So far, it is working. Had a second coach battery added and solar installed on the roof in December because coach battery would not stay charged.

i have documented every issue with this coach since I drove it off the lot..16 typed pages worth. I was so upset with the way I was treated that I wrote to the General Manager at Mike Thompson and Peter Liegl at Forest River and included my documentation and receipts for work I had to pay for., not including the cost of roof solar panels. Mr. Liegl has responded to me that he is personally taking my issues to Jeff Babcock who will be contacting me. Mike Thompson General Manager passed my letter to his Service Manager who tells me he will be contacting the manufacturer to try to reimburse me my out of pocket expenses.

-------------------------------------------------------
I have the same motorhome as travel gal and we all have (one battery ) if parked in my drive for over one day - my battery will be drained also- many small drains with frig and other things running " You do have to turn the battery switch off ) if not hooked to electric power and just sitting there for days or weeks !
Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 PM   #18

2015 Rev

To B Clemens. I received the sun shields. I appreciate you sending them and thank you very much. I have yet to hear from Mike Thompson or your Warranty Department relative to your requests. Just picked up the Rev from Dodge. Missed another trip due to issues. This time it was the power control module and a valve throttle. This was on the tail end of having to take it in because of a blown fuse in the generator that prevented it from working and the awning not opening. I have yet had a trip with no issues. At least the control module and valve throttle fell under the Chrysler warranty. I have fingers crossed this is it. The Rev starts now only because there is a solar panel connected directly to the battery. I have kept my hopes up and my confidence in this RV running/working as it should for over a year. I am now growing weary. I have another trip planned for September. I hope this will be the 'turn around' trip where everything works. If not, I have to throw in the towel and think about pursuing action under the lemon law. I cannot keep making payments and putting money into an RV that I can't depend on. I am hoping for the best. As I have stated before, I fell in love with this RV the minute I saw it. But, one can only take so much.

To steve32409, I found a ladder on Amazon that works perfectly. Also ordered a window boot from Camping World for a sprinter van that fits perfectly. Actually found a gray that looks great with the silver color.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #19
Love my Rev

thank you travel gal - could you send a picture of the ladder or the link to it / and this " window boot " not really sure what that is ? steve
Old 08-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #20

2015 Rev

Steve 32409.. Checked Camping World today and did not find the Sprinter Windshield Covers. However, did find one almost identical to mine at Walmart.com under 'Classic Accesdories a Dodge SprinterClass CWindshield Cover'. Also at sprinter parts depot.com. The ladder is Amazon.com, 'Stromberg-Carlson LA-460 60" Bunk Ladder.

I hope this helps!

Tags
upgrade, modifications