Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2022, 05:11 PM   #1

Angry LCI/Power gear slide warranty problem

A little background info to set this up.
About 3 weeks ago I went to extend my dinette slide. It ran halfway out and stopped, No fault lights. I proceeded to check voltage at the controler in the front driver side storage.
1. 12.8 volts at the input studs on the controller.
2. both 30 amp fuses onboard were good.
3. 1 amp inline fuse for the keypad was good 12.7 vdc there
4. I tried using the open/ close signal direct from precision panel, phone app and the keypad in the control cabinet.

After trouble shooting I decided to contact tech support directly. Tech support agreed with me that the controller was the problem. So he said I needed a dealer or mobile tech to do a warranty on the part. So I called around and was told 2 weeks to 2 months before I could have someone look at it.
Y ordered a new controller and swapped it out myself, Set it up and got the slide working again. So today IO call LCI back and asked if they would send me another controller ,not refund my $. Just replace it and I would keep a spare. Nope since I replaced it my self the warranty was voided, plus the one i purchased does not have a warranty because i am not a certified dealer/ repair facility.

So I guess this means that if you want to repair your own equipment in a timely manor ,you have no warranty coverage.

Darn I wish I cold run my business that way!!!!! Oh wait I have integrity.
SheltonsDX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #2

I just repaired my slide out of my own pocket.

The tedious process of going throuh the Dealer, waiting til late spring to get it intto their shop, waiting for parts, then the ultimate repair was not worth it to me.

Ordered new motor/actuator from Amazon (less than Lippert) came in a week, took about two hours to replace

Took apart old motor before throwing it away, found a sticky brush holder was emulating a burned out motor. Fixed and now have a spare.

I don't play the Dealer game unless I absolutely have to.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:31 PM   #3

I am a 40+ year elevator mechanic, troubleshooting is a way of life for me.

This just pi$$'s me off that a company will not warranty there product!!!!!

So I have a mobile tech coming out tommorow to look at the rear AC unit. If he finds a faulty unit i may be driveing the 400 mile one way trip to my purching dealer to get it replaced. You can bet I will make sure they have one instock before i make that trip!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2022, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltonsDX3 View Post
A little background info to set this up.
About 3 weeks ago I went to extend my dinette slide. It ran halfway out and stopped, No fault lights. I proceeded to check voltage at the controler in the front driver side storage.
1. 12.8 volts at the input studs on the controller.
2. both 30 amp fuses onboard were good.
3. 1 amp inline fuse for the keypad was good 12.7 vdc there
4. I tried using the open/ close signal direct from precision panel, phone app and the keypad in the control cabinet.

After trouble shooting I decided to contact tech support directly. Tech support agreed with me that the controller was the problem. So he said I needed a dealer or mobile tech to do a warranty on the part. So I called around and was told 2 weeks to 2 months before I could have someone look at it.
Y ordered a new controller and swapped it out myself, Set it up and got the slide working again. So today IO call LCI back and asked if they would send me another controller ,not refund my $. Just replace it and I would keep a spare. Nope since I replaced it my self the warranty was voided, plus the one i purchased does not have a warranty because i am not a certified dealer/ repair facility.

So I guess this means that if you want to repair your own equipment in a timely manor ,you have no warranty coverage.

Darn I wish I cold run my business that way!!!!! Oh wait I have integrity.
Not to get all legal beagle but that is not legal. If that were true changing the oil on your car would void the warranty. They must prove that YOU damaged it.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther
Not to get all legal beagle but that is not legal. If that were true changing the oil on your car would void the warranty. They must prove that YOU damaged it.
The above is correct. The part you purchased has its own warranty. The decades-old federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits a manufacturer from invalidating a warranty just because third-party parts or third-party labor (in this case, you) were used unless the manufacturer can prove the damage or failure was caused by the third-party usage. In this case you just had a simple parts failure.

Quote:
After trouble shooting I decided to contact tech support directly.
That's where you appear to have messed up, unfortunately. The first year of warranty on an FR product (as far as I know) is provided solely by FR, not the component manufacturer.

The proper procedure for an in-warranty RV repair not performed by a dealer is to contact FR Warranty directly (or have your dealer contact FR on your behalf) and request warranty reimbursement approval in advance of the expenditure. That's the usual procedure for an on-the-road mobile RV tech repair.

My guess is FR would have just sent you a new controller but not reimbursed for labor because they must have a signed agreement with a commercial entity for that (think IRS reporting, etc.)

I'd suggest contacting FR and seeing if they will provide a new slide controller under warranty. I'll leave it to you to figure out how to explain it and why you did not go through the selling dealer, if they ask about that part.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 04-08-2022, 09:17 PM   #6

The person i spoke to at Dynamax about support and or warranty on the slide controller told me to contact LCI direct for help.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

That's where you appear to have messed up, unfortunately. The first year of warranty on an FR product (as far as I know) is provided solely by FR, not the component manufacturer.
Looking at the Dynamax motorized warranty (https://www.forestriverinc.com/downl...edWarranty.pdf -

Quote:
Forest River Inc.,... warrants to the ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER ONLY ... that the body structure of this recreational vehicle shall be free of substantial defects in materials and workmanship attributable to Warrantor.

... Warrantor makes no warranty with regard to, but not limited to, the chassis including without limitation, any mechanical parts or systems of the chassis, axles, tires, tubes, batteries and gauges, optional generators, routine maintenance, equipment and appliances, or audio and/or video equipment. Their respective manufacturers and suppliers may warrant some of these items.
Despite the above, Dynamax does help with many warranty items. And then a few component manufacturers require warranty to go via the installing OEM, so Dynamax is involved there, despite their warranty disclaimer.

Looking at the Lippert warranty, they ONLY warrant to the OEM, not the purchaser.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...ranty_2017.pdf

Quote:
Subject to these terms, we warrant ONLY to you, the original equipment manufacturer ..., that the products that we manufacture, distribute and/or sell to you that are not already covered by a separate written warranty from another manufacturer (the “Product(s)”) will be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the time of sale.
So why not contact the appropriate Dynamax service rep and see if they can swap the part for you?
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #8
Commercial Member

^^This^^

My people are instructed to provide parts when possible.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:25 PM   #9

I will make another call this week, thanks for the info.

Tags
power, slide, warranty