Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 04:53 PM   #1

Let's talk about toilets.

Anyone having issues with toilet not holding some water after flushing?

Now before you jump at the ball gasket in there. I have replaced it already and still have the issue. When I took it apart I did not notice any sharp edges or rough areas on the ball valve. This has been an issue since I bought the unit.

the thing works but it does leak some gas back into the coach. We typically leave the bath fan on low all the time. It is an annoyance.

Has anyone replaced with alternate throne. If so what model and manufacturer did you change to and did you have any mods that had to be accomplished to make the replacement work.

2018 DX3 TS

I will be contacting Dynamax but just looking for any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Personally I don’t see this as a Dynamax issue as much as the toilet manufacturer.

Is it a Thetford or Dometic?
What model number?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Personally I don’t see this as a Dynamax issue as much as the toilet manufacturer.

What model number?
Ours will do that unless we let the valve slam shut.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #4

I use a thetford seal conditioner. Seems to help. Would love an alternate toilet option, but right now it seems to help.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

What model number?
I agree that it is the toilet manuf. that is the warranty source. However, Dynamax is the builder of the MH. If Dynamax is not aware of issues with their build then they will just keep building as is. Not always the best over time. By talking with them I may find that there has been past issues and they have moved to something else. I would have a choice to move up to the "new configuration" or just replace with same. They may also have other/better suggestions. (They see a lot more units than mine). Personally I really don't care if it is warranty or not.

I think it is an Aqua Magic II. Thetford??
Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

We had that issue as well, and the advice we got on this forum was as houstonstroker mentioned above - let the ball slam closed. I was prepared to replace the ball as well, but after we started to let it close with some force we’ve had zero issues. To me it’s counterintuitive and something I’d normally get onto our girls for doing, but, in this case, it works.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Check the pivot points of the shutter. Mine wouldn’t hold water and one of the pivot points had come out of its recess and I had to reset it.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I use a thetford seal conditioner. Seems to help. Would love an alternate toilet option, but right now it seems to help.
Try one of the macerator toilets BC puts in the I5? I like it. It's called the: Tecma Silence Plus
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
We had that issue as well, and the advice we got on this forum was as houstonstroker mentioned above - let the ball slam closed. I was prepared to replace the ball as well, but after we started to let it close with some force we’ve had zero issues. To me it’s counterintuitive and something I’d normally get onto our girls for doing, but, in this case, it works.
^this

We've had zero problems since letting the ball "snap" into place. Before that it was very hit or miss.

Only toilet swap I've seen is for composting but that's a whole nother ball of wax
Old 03-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #10

Like the slam suggestion, we merely pull up on the pedal when this happens and that has stopped the seeping.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #11

I smear Vaseline on the gasket on ours. Once in the spring and once in the fall when I winterize. This is the second winter for the TT and I looked in over the weekend and it still has the anti-freeze in it that I poured in last November.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #12

Leaky Toilet

I have a 2018 Isata 4. The original Thetford stayed in the coach for a month before I was discusted. Installed a porcelain Dometic model 310 and have never looked back. Nice self closing seat and lid are worth the $$. Good luck!
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #13
Lorenc

Try a Dometic 310 $196.00 pn Amazon. Real china bowl on a plastic base . Almost 20” high comes with soft close wood seat. Very good flush system to clean bowl.
lorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #14

I bought a Dometic 310 that leaked right out of the box...the fix was to fill the bowl with hot water and let it sit until the water cooled, basically reshaping the rubber seal to the ball.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #15

X2 on the toilet seal lubricant.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
I agree that it is the toilet manuf. that is the warranty source. However, Dynamax is the builder of the MH. If Dynamax is not aware of issues with their build then they will just keep building as is. Not always the best over time. By talking with them I may find that there has been past issues and they have moved to something else. I would have a choice to move up to the "new configuration" or just replace with same. They may also have other/better suggestions. (They see a lot more units than mine). Personally I really don't care if it is warranty or not.

I think it is an Aqua Magic II. Thetford??

Out of the thousands of toilets installed in rv's every year it is not a problem specific to Dynamax or the toilet make or model. You just happen to have one. The plastic toilets seem to have this problem more often than the china ones. Does the bowl hold water for long periods of time. If you fill the bowl half full of water and close the lid it should last 1 to 2 weeks. Have you cleaned and lubricated the seal as instructed in the manual? Some toilets just need the extra upward lift with the foot or snap of the ball valve.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenc View Post
Try a Dometic 310 $196.00 pn Amazon. Real china bowl on a plastic base . Almost 20” high comes with soft close wood seat. Very good flush system to clean bowl.

The 310 is small compared to the 320. The Thetford junk that came on my 5er was gone before being used. Try eTrailer as they usually beat Amazon prices and free shipping too.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #18

Boy, those Dometic 310 toilets are pretty crappy .lol
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #19
Commercial Member

I've used and installed just about every RV toilet known to man...Someone will always find something to poo about. (pun intended of course)

1. Tekma macerating toilet, the boon dockers think it uses too much water. (all porcelain, more residential style, heavy)
2. The gravity porcelains add some weight and are not always as easy to service where there is an issue. On many, you have to pull the toilet to change the rubber gasket.
3. The Residence is light-weight, easy to service and normally works well, we can also include a hand sprayer. Residentail style bowl and lid.

Interesting thing is...the most reliable (as evidence by 10 years of research in a rental fleet), the easiest to service (seal pulls out from above) is the Thetford Aqua Magic (on the V series now I think). But it looks like an RV toilet (not residential) so most people think it is just a cheap hunk of plastic. It just happens to hold up to lots of abuse and just keeps working in a high use rental environment.

To each his/her own.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #20

BC I really like the one you put in ours last year. Flushes great, very good at self cleaning and so far no problems with the macerator. Not crazy about the Tecma tank sensors that controls the flush warnings and such. Nice Italian porcelain.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote