Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Levelers Down ?

I was wondering when your RV is not in use do you put the levelers down to take pressure off tires and keep roof level ?

Thanks
Jeff
drjeff44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #2

We usually do, but we we don't keep it level, we angle it a little to keep water running off of the roof.
Lawlesszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

I don't leave the levelers down, don't want the shafts exposed to the weather. Periodically I will extend them and exercise the slides, generator, awning and also do a few mile drive to help preserve the tires and mechanical components.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

Hmmm... never gave it much thought. Usually I have the front tires on ramps to kind of level it out - I back into my driveway and it's an incline up my driveway. However, if the driveway were level, I probably would.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #5

We leave the jacks retracted when parked in storage. Same idea with leaving the shafts exposed too long, and I dont see a need. I figure the suspension and the tires are made to leave sitting, not the jacks.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #6

I believe either the dynamax manual or the leveler manual states the jacks should be either retracted sprayed with silicon weekly during long stays to prevent corrosion on the shafts.

I do not store with the jacks down. Tires are a consumable part, jacks are not.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #7

Depends where you're parking, but if you're thinking that taking the weight off the tires is going to have some major benefit, think again! Mine's on blacktop and yes the stabilizers are down because we may put the slides out, but, off season... nope! If you want to do something for the tires (and your driveway), put it up on a set of 2 x 12s. Get some tire covers. Shouldn't matter whether tt or mh
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
Commercial Member

I think even the leveling guys say not to leave them extended. (at least HWH used to). Especially near salt water. The shafts themselves are exposed, can start to rust and get pitted which then works away at the seals.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
Seņor Miembro

So if we are storing the RV at our home for he winter but want to have the slides out, we should level the unit on jacks, put out the slides and then retract the jacks?
We'll just need to remember to re-level before we retract the slides in for the next trip? Or will that throw something out of kilter? Will the slides settle or anything if left out for 6 months?
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Are you storing it on a cliff? If it is pretty level, I'm not sure you would need to level.

If it is un-level, I would not suggest what you are proposing, but to leave it with the slides in.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
Seņor Miembro

I haven't seen documentation prohibiting perching on a cliff. I did see a label about not using the toaster while taking a bath

No, we have a few fairly level spots. Our industrial asphalt driveway apron is sloped just enough for water run-off, about 3/8" per foot long ways and fairly flat side to side.

I just want to make sure we aren't going to make another problem by not using the jacks and leaving the slides out for 6-8 months like that. Are you saying we only need to use the jacks for unlevel spots before using the slides ?
Also, is it OK to leave it plugged in the whole time for minimal heat or cooling? I'll still winterize the water systems JIC.

Do you foresee any problems with how proposed storage plan?
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
Commercial Member

If you are mostly level, you shouldn't have any issues. No reason you can't leave the slides out and lots of people leave them plugged in year round. I think HALLA has mentioned that a few times and I know several others as well.

And yes, I am saying if you are pretty level, you can operate the slides without jacks. Jacks are mainly to "get" level when you are unlevel. And they do offer up some stability.