Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #1

Limp mode. Is this covered by 5 year warranty on DX3 or Force?

Our 2017 DX3 is on a 95 mile flatbed trailer tow to a Freightliner Service center. It had check engine light and DEF light (DEF is full), and then went to limp mode (aka 5 mph derate). We went with the tow because it would have been a long and tough drive to the Freightliner service center at 5 mph!

Does anyone know if the things that typically lead to these warning lights and 5mph derate are covered by the 5 year Cummins warranty?

Thank you.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:20 AM   #2

More than likely it is a failed DEF header. It is a Freightliner part and should covered under the emissions warranty. It is not a Cummins part. Mine failed in Louisville, requiring a tow on my 2018 XL.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #3

This seems to be common on M2's. Not sure why there isn't a recall.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:16 PM   #4

Am being told by Freightliner Service Center it is a DEF header and will be $900 for part + $900 for labor, total $1,800.

I said I had read on forums this is typically covered by 5 year warranty.

Was told by Freightliner Service Center just now that Freightliner warranty is 24 months and expired and this is not covered.

Dear Brian Clemens, could you please ping me if there is any way to help with this. Already paid $1,250 for the tow. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #5

I came across this Freightliner Medium Truck Warranty Coverage schedule (for 2014, I couldn't find 2017) that suggests Diesel Emission system has a 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty.

Is this the correct warranty schedule for the M2 chassis?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freightliner Medium Truck Warranty Coverage.png
Views:	135
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	257032  
Old 06-15-2021, 09:06 AM   #6

Sharing these updates for the benefit of others who may have this issue...

I called the national Freightliner customer service line 800-385-4357, then selected #2. I spoke with a customer service rep who asked for my VIN and pulled up the warranty. She read from the warranty and said that it looks like emissions would be covered by Freightliner except for engine parts and parts provided by the engine manufacturer.

I said that I was told that the DEF header is not provided by Cummins, and I asked doesn't that mean that it would be covered by Freightliner.

She (nicely) said that she couldn't help with that, and I would need to talk with the warranty representative for the specific dealer. I asked for that person's name, which she shared.

It's kind of a bummer for the consumer to get caught in the middle of this. Seems like it is clear that the emissions-related equipment should be covered, whether it is Freightliner or Cummins. Doesn't seem like a great idea to horse people around on emissions stuff.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #7

And in conclusion... (we hope )

I called and spoke with the warranty administrator at the Freightliner service center where they were working on our vehicle. She was extremely nice. Her initial response was that this wasn't covered by warranty. We talked through the facts above, and she pulled up the vehicle specific warranty. She determined that this is in fact covered by warranty. She kindly also checked to see if the towing could be reimbursed, but said that coverage ended with the 2 year warranty.

The vehicle was picked up with the work done, and there was no charge to us for the parts and labor.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #8

Good deal...glad it was covered under warranty!

Your case represents the third or fourth occurrence documented on this site. Just curious what DEF you guys that have experienced failed DEF headers use. Specifically, do you primarily use the 2.5 gallon boxes, or do you fill up with bulk DEF at the truck pumps?
Old 06-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #9
Commercial Member

I passed this info on to my local rep to look up (I was at the Rally)...so I assume this is moot now?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Good deal...glad it was covered under warranty!

Your case represents the third or fourth occurrence documented on this site. Just curious what DEF you guys that have experienced failed DEF headers use. Specifically, do you primarily use the 2.5 gallon boxes, or do you fill up with bulk DEF at the truck pumps?
Thank you. We have always used bulk DEF at the truck pumps except for the most recent 1.5 gallon top-off which was from a 2.5 gallon box.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I passed this info on to my local rep to look up (I was at the Rally)...so I assume this is moot now?
Thank you Brian! I think this is resolved for us for now.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #12

I use my DX3 as a chase vehicle for a several major off road races. No the DX isn’t in the race but it transports important people and gear on a trailer from pit to pit.

Even though we have 4 chase vehicles, a failure mid race on the DX3 would mess us up. If one of the drivers isn’t at the pit to meet the race truck it would be bad.

Is there any way to see this issue coming? Or does it happen out of nowhere?

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by content View Post
And in conclusion... (we hope )

I called and spoke with the warranty administrator at the Freightliner service center where they were working on our vehicle. She was extremely nice. Her initial response was that this wasn't covered by warranty. We talked through the facts above, and she pulled up the vehicle specific warranty. She determined that this is in fact covered by warranty. She kindly also checked to see if the towing could be reimbursed, but said that coverage ended with the 2 year warranty.

The vehicle was picked up with the work done, and there was no charge to us for the parts and labor.
Our automobile Insurance (USAA) would have covered the tow. You might look into that to see if you have coverage and get reimbursement through them.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
I use my DX3 as a chase vehicle for a several major off road races. No the DX isn’t in the race but it transports important people and gear on a trailer from pit to pit.

Even though we have 4 chase vehicles, a failure mid race on the DX3 would mess us up. If one of the drivers isn’t at the pit to meet the race truck it would be bad.

Is there any way to see this issue coming? Or does it happen out of nowhere?

—john

No warning in my case, one second is wasn’t a problem, the next second, “vehicle shutdown in progress”.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Our automobile Insurance (USAA) would have covered the tow. You might look into that to see if you have coverage and get reimbursement through them.
I don't believe USAA covers motorized RVs. They didn't for us, but USAA does have partnership with Progressive so we went with Progressive. That was our experience.
2018 Nissan Versa Toad
mijeus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, warranty, dx3