Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #21

Take advantage of the air brakes in your DX3. I used Break Buddy with my last 2 motorhomes. Works good but if I would stay hooked up for a few days without charging the toad battery then it would be dead.
I have always towed Jeep Grand Cherokee. I now use Air Force One and I love it. Just have to plug in a quick disconnect on the front of my toad and I’m done.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #22

I've used the Brake Buddy Stealth system for four years without any issues. Just traded my ancient Winnebago Itasca for a new Georgetown 270s and moving the controller over was about a 20 minute wiring job. Hardest part was getting myself back out from under the dash........

Because the hardware is "permanently" installed all you do is connect the light power cord and go (even the break away signal is built into the light cord). The controller inside the motorhome is easy to change setting (like increasing sensitivity/braking assist in mountain grades) and can additionally be switched over to a trailer brake controller by pushing a button. It's not an inexpensive system, but it has made toad brake assist hookup effortless.

Good luck on choosing from the many available options.
JTseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
Take advantage of the air brakes in your DX3. I used Break Buddy with my last 2 motorhomes. Works good but if I would stay hooked up for a few days without charging the toad battery then it would be dead.
I have always towed Jeep Grand Cherokee. I now use Air Force One and I love it. Just have to plug in a quick disconnect on the front of my toad and I’m done.
If you install the small onboard charger on the toad vehicle, it charges the toad vehicle from the constant 12v source on the 7th pin of your MH's trailer plug-in. As long as you are plugged into shore power, running the generator or solar panels are getting good sunlight, the coach batteries easily handle the little bit of drain it puts on them.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Whatever you do, get a permanently installed system and save lots of hassle. I have had two four-wheel lockup’s with the Brake Buddy, plus, it actuated slowly, is cumbersome to set up/take out, has to be stored somewhere and is difficult to get an acceptable fit. I happen to have the SMI Stay-in-Play. Just flip one switch and I’m on my way.
There are definitely benefits to a permanently installed system, if you only have 1 towed vehicle and you plan on keeping it for a long time.

Most of the issues I see with RVi or similar drop in systems is that they are not set up right to begin with. Having a good fit of the floorboard unit is critical. People don't remove bulky floor mats and don't ensure the unit has a firm, square base to push against. The manufacturers sell simple adaptors to ensure a good fit for each unique vehicle style. Most Wrangler type Jeeps don't usually require an adaptor since the foot wells are already pretty deep and square, just remove the bulky floor mats if you have them. Also make sure the unit is adjusted for the right amount of inertial sensitivity and boost.

If you have a jake brake and use it a lot on the high setting, a slightly lower inertial sensitivity setting will prevent application of the toad brakes if you are just maintaining down hill speed. Some systems also get triggered by brake lights, which can be problematic if your Jake brake activates the brake lights when it is operating. This can cause an on-off-on-off application of the toad brakes that has a snowball effect and makes the inertia sensor eventually think you are braking hard and can cause a lock up. The boost setting is usually determined by the size and weight of the vehicle you are towing and their are usually guidelines of how to adjust the boost in the operators manual.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 03-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
If you install the small onboard charger on the toad vehicle, it charges the toad vehicle from the constant 12v source on the 7th pin of your MH's trailer plug-in. As long as you are plugged into shore power, running the generator or solar panels are getting good sunlight, the coach batteries easily handle the little bit of drain it puts on them.
I used the RVI Toad Battery Charger on my new setup just for insurance. $50 and it had both an external fuse and charge diode for protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94B70920-8EFD-465E-A01E-7761ED594E9B.png
Views:	103
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	165619  
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I used the RVI Toad Battery Charger on my new setup just for insurance. $50 and it had both an external fuse and charge diode for protection.
Yep, same one I was referring to.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 03-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #27

KISS..... keep it simple. No chargers, no electronics.....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1755403

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:30 AM   #28

When I had my diesel pusher I towed my Chevy Silverado for thousands of miles including the mountains out west. I never had any braking system on the toad. I couldn't tell any difference when braking with or without the toad. With the air brakes and the jake brake it had plenty of stopping power. Are the super Cs under braked? It sounds like everyone is installing brake systems on their toads.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #29

Problem is the braking systems on Toad are required by about all state laws based on weight of Toad.

Also what happens to Toad if it becomes disconnected - braking system engages when connection is lost to prevent wandering away with no control etc.

Following this as we are looking for braking system for our new Toad as well.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
Problem is the braking systems on Toad are required by about all state laws based on weight of Toad.

Also what happens to Toad if it becomes disconnected - braking system engages when connection is lost to prevent wandering away with no control etc.

Following this as we are looking for braking system for our new Toad as well.
I didn't know that. When did that start? What is the max you can tow without a brake system?
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I didn't know that. When did that start? What is the max you can tow without a brake system?

Each state has different rules. Can find online.

As far as I know the rules have been in place for a long time.

Most are 3000 lbs at point where they are required. NY and NC are as low as 1000 lbs.

Very few do not have the break away requirement just in case it becomes separated from towing vehicle.

Personally I wouldn’t want the liability not having one and it came disconnected from RV. Could be a mess and lawyers would have field day.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook47 View Post
Yep, mine is the best. 'Course it is the only one I have ever had. So, I have the RVi system. Comes with a large tablet and repeater (BlueTooth / WiFi..don't remember). Very easy and quick to set up in my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Works well. Tablet shows when brakes are activated, can add TPMS system to monitor RV & towed vehicle.

Wonderful tech support. Had a couple of questions about set up and sent pictures and had a quick response. The floor pan in the JGC doesn't have a very good lip for the unit to butt up against so I screwed a short piece of angle iron to form a better back stop. Sent pics of my setup and they said it was fine and suggested removing floor mat to give better grip.

Has worked great since day one.
I use the same one in my F150 that is pulled behind my Isata 5. It has worked perfectly since I installed it and have dragged my Ford behind my Dodge for over 5,000 miles already. Next i'm considering getting the tire pressure monitors to go with it and have everything on the tablet.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I believe it has to be under #3000

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Walter Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #34
Kanadian Kamper

Auxiliary braking laws have been in place for quite some time now.

Given everything that people tow these days, it’s just natural that this is in place. The laws are different province to province, state to state.

Towing Laws

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Auxiliary braking laws have been in place for quite some time now.

Given everything that people tow these days, it’s just natural that this is in place. The laws are different province to province, state to state.

Towing Laws
Great chart... !!

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #36

Rrzasa, I'll be gettig TPMS shortly also.
hook47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #37
Old Engineer

I have a 1750 pound towed, and I think the only state I would need a brake system to be legal in is California, 1500 pounds or more. Michigan is 15,000 pounds or more.
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleckDreher View Post
I have a 1750 pound towed, and I think the only state I would need a brake system to be legal in is California, 1500 pounds or more. Michigan is 15,000 pounds or more.
But every state around Michigan is #3000 ..!

2011 GEORGETOWN 337DS
Old 03-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #39
Old Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Pigeon View Post
But every state around Michigan is #3000 ..!
You don't think the construction and trucking lobby in Michigan is strong politically do you?

Ha ha, that's an understatement!
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #40

M & G engineering. One time install. Nothing to set up later. Will not drain your battery.
Mopar harness and mg brakes. Easy Peasy.

Tags
toad