Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #1

M2 Hot Exhaust Warning Light

Prior to this experience I have only had the hot exhaust warning light come on once. It was 95 degrees outside and the engine had been idling about 5 minutes. However, this past Sunday while traveling to Orlando from Jacksonville the warning light came on multiple times with following conditions:

-78 degrees outside temperature
-Rain the entire trip with driving/blinding rain the last 30 miles with traffic going no more than 35 mph
-Traveling 65 mph for the prior 135 miles
-Jake Brake on low during that time
-Got off the Interstate to head to destination and the warning light came on at first traffic light
-Came on again at each successive traffic light
-Haven’t moved since arriving at the campground

So, what say you team, normal or no?
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #2

I have only seen the light one time. That was when climbing a large hiss towing. So the truck was in some strain. I have never seen what you describe.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

The Hot Exhaust light just means your exhaust temp is high and you shouldn't come to stop on something that is flammable, like tall grass. You don't have to worry about it, do anything, etc. Mine comes on only when I'm going slower than 5 MPH. My visor has a cheat sheet of lights and what they mean as well.

https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul...%204971518.pdf
LSLBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

In over 28,000 miles, I have never had my hot exhaust light illuminate. This includes a few lengthy daily drives in +100 degree weather with multiple grades while pulling a jeep. My fan would cycle constantly but my exhaust temp light never came on.

So, from my perspective this is not normal. Since the light came on while simply at idle leads me to believe that something is amiss. I would investigate the sensor first.

Good luck and I hope that it something very minor.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

LSL Blues - thank you for the link. I have those same stickers on my visor, but I have never seen the chart provided in your link. It looks like it may have been a Regen cycle. Like you, it only happened under 5 mph, basically when stopped at a light. As soon as I accelerated it went away each time. We will see what happens on the way home on Thursday.
HappyatRest - it’s never happened when at normal highway speeds regardless of load.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #6

Mine comes on every now and then. I dont give it much thought other than not parking in tall grass or touching it.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Mine comes on every now and then. I dont give it much thought other than not parking in tall grass or touching it.

My only concern was that it came on, I think, at 4 or 5 successive traffic lights. However, if it was in a Regen cycle that would totally make sense. That was a concern on Ford Super Duty diesel trucks when the DEF systems first came out. If the Regen cycle started or was running at a traffic light the exhaust output could almost melt the paint on the car next to it!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #8

I usually pull in to fuel when it comes on. Lol. Just kidding. Never had it come on, just regen once in a while
Old 09-23-2020, 05:07 PM   #9

Re Gen

My experience with these vehicles is that if the system is in process of a re-gen and you come to a stop the light will come on. Does not indicate a failure or problem of any kind. Just continue on your way and it will be fine..
canmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #10

21,000 miles on 2015 dx3. Mine has come on a few times. If I let it idle for a very long time ( waiting for family to get everything ready) and then goes off after I get on interstate and start rolling. Also in bumper to bumper traffic in a major city.
hines5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #11

The high exhaust temperature light means it’s in a regen cycle and low speed. Nothing to worry about as long as you are not in deep grass or weeds. Keep it rolling.

Tags
light