Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #1

Macerator toilet and dumping tanks with garden hose

Since the Isata 5 has a macerator toilet, is there any reason not to use a garden hose to dump the black tank (assuming your NOT draining it uphill) I recently used a garden hose to dump into my sewer cleanout located 40" away with no real issue. The only minor issue was that the last several gallons drained extremely slow; I believe a vacuum formed in the black tank that slowed it down quite a bit. It eventually fully dumped. I think a vacuum breaker added to the beginning of the hose will solve this issue. Seems to me using a garden hose can open up a lot of options for dumping the tanks; ie. maybe 10 feet of garden hose on a small reel mounted or even just a check valve at the last 2 feet at the end of the hose so that you can walk to the end of the hose and open the valve in a controlled fashion and not risk the stinky slinky popping out, maybe even just closing that valve at the end of the hose and not even disconnecting the hose when your done dumping; seems a lot cleaner and faster?
Jpbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
Commercial Member

They make a box mount or end mount Thetford Sani-Con. It can be attached to the bayonet end of the valve.

That would have a pump involved and I would be more confident in that, than gravity through a hose.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
They make a box mount or end mount Thetford Sani-Con. It can be attached to the bayonet end of the valve.

That would have a pump involved and I would be more confident in that, than gravity through a hose.
Agreed. Without a pump pushing the black water through the hose, I'd be nervous about it.

I've got a FloJet macerator that I've pumped literally thousands of gallons of wastewater with mine. More times than not, it's been uphill into a waste receptacle in my truck bed. A few times, I did 125' of hose into a basement toilet at my in-law's house.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #4

I’ve dumped through a hose into my home sewer clean out multiple times with absolutely no issues. The Thetford macerator sure acts like my old FloJet did when I had my Airstream. If you don’t think it “pumps” just watch your dump hose expand when you turn on the macerator even when dumping at a campground with the big cap off.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
NXR

I'd be concerned about the food particles and similar in the gray tank clogging a garden hose without a pump behind it. But if you're just dumping black, followed by a black tank flush, it could work.

We have a Tecma yet I still see small chunks through the clear elbow when doing the black tank flush. I'm guessing things have solidified on the bottom or clumped up or something. If several of those passed through at the same time they could clog a 3/4" diameter hose at a low flow rate.

Ray
Old 10-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #6

Toilet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpbradley View Post
The only minor issue was that the last several gallons drained extremely slow; I believe a vacuum formed in the black tank that slowed it down quite a bit. It eventually fully dumped. I think a vacuum breaker added to the beginning of the hose will solve this issue.
To test this theory before installing a vacuum breaker, why not have someone hold the toilet open (stand on the pedal or pull on the latch) while you dump next time?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #7

I dump through a garden hose pretty much every time. The DX3 Maserator has no problem pushing it through.

The last time I dumped I pumped through a garden hose 100’ long uphill. No problem. The existing waste was still coming out with force!

Just make sure you mark that garden hose with a label so no one uses it got anything else (gross).

—job.
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
To test this theory before installing a vacuum breaker, why not have someone hold the toilet open (stand on the pedal or pull on the latch) while you dump next time?
It's a macerator toilet so that's not how it works, there is no giant hole to hold open like many RV toilets.

There should be a roof vent for the black tank though so there isn't a vacuum.

Slowing down at the end could just be due to a lack of head pressure now that there is less "liquid" pushing down in the tank.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank