Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2022, 07:40 PM   #1

Macerator toilet conversion M2 106 Force

So I started out with an Isata 5 which had a very nice macerator toilet. I was greatly releaved having had rented many RVs with the pretty archaic black hole toilet. To my surprise, my upgrade to an M2 Force and I am back to the black hole toilet, for which I have to appologize to visitors in advance.

I've read a number of thread in this forum how macerators toilets can malfunction and then, unless you have a two toilet floor plan you are in trouble. Nonetheless, my question is has anyone converted a Force 37 TS or similar one bedroom M2 to a macerator toilet. Wireing, plumbing, toilet brand and model, etc. My thought is that if there is room to install the macerator toilet, I could keep the black hole toilet as an emergency backup, and still have the much cleaner macerator toilet I prefer.

I mean, they but a maceratoro toilet in the Isata one-bath series so it can't be that risky.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:57 PM   #2

Personally, why upset a working situation? I have a direct drop in my DX3. the hassle of having noise and electrical hookup is in my opinion not worth it.
I do have a macerator on the outlet of the black and grey tanks.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
So I started out with an Isata 5 which had a very nice macerator toilet. I was greatly releaved having had rented many RVs with the pretty archaic black hole toilet. To my surprise, my upgrade to an M2 Force and I am back to the black hole toilet, for which I have to appologize to visitors in advance.

I've read a number of thread in this forum how macerators toilets can malfunction and then, unless you have a two toilet floor plan you are in trouble. Nonetheless, my question is has anyone converted a Force 37 TS or similar one bedroom M2 to a macerator toilet. Wireing, plumbing, toilet brand and model, etc. My thought is that if there is room to install the macerator toilet, I could keep the black hole toilet as an emergency backup, and still have the much cleaner macerator toilet I prefer.

I mean, they but a maceratoro toilet in the Isata one-bath series so it can't be that risky.
Iíve had macerator toilets for years and love them. The one I have now is 13 years old and has had no issues. I never thought Iíd be saying I love a toilet but there it is🤪
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:10 AM   #4

Quote:

They used the macerator due to component placement issues that didn't allow the black hole. My trailer had the black hole and my I5 35DB has the macerator and I do agree it is quite nice. I also like that it reduces the chances of buildup of clumps in the tank.

I'd say the only downside of the macerator is the noise when people are sleeping. So definitely use the if it's yellow let it mellow rule at night.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:29 PM   #5

My interest isn't so much of the macerating as my Force has a macerator in the main outlet. One of the issues I haven't overcome, is the odor that escapes, basically into you face, when you flush. A macerator toilet doesn't have that issue. I've made sure the fan/vent isn't on, used pretty much ever type to treatment, which I don't like to do because I do dump into my home septic tank when I am there. And then, to reiterate, visitors needs instructions on its use, and have commented about it being not the most pleasant. Anyway, it is something I would like to do if I can put a list of parts, and sure would be nice if anyone else has done this conversion. My toilet sits on a box of sorts, not sure what its for except to make it higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toiletv2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	275773  

Old 07-02-2022, 01:05 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Invisibleman;2755948]My interest isn't so much of the macerating as my Force has a macerator in the main outlet. One of the issues I haven't overcome, is the odor that escapes, basically into you face, when you flush. A macerator toilet doesn't have that issue. I've made sure the fan/vent isn't on, used pretty much ever type to treatment, which I don't like to do because I do dump into my home septic tank when I am there.

I've never had a macerator toilet, I'm on my 3rd RV, this one Isata 5 30 FW with the "black hole". We use the geo method of putting a couple capfuls of Calgon water softener (not fabric softener) and a squirt of Dawn dish soap into the black tank every time we empty (along with a couple bowls full of water so it can slosh around and make the tank slippery so nothing sticks) along with Happy Camper treatment when we first set up camp. And then we make sure to fill the bowl with water before flushing #2. We have never had an odor coming up from the toilet. And we leave the vent fan on all the time if its warm weather. Something to try until you can make your switch.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:11 PM   #7

I second the motion on the Geo method and Happy Camper. Iíve used both methods and actually prefer Happy Camper. Itís just less stuff to carry. We never have odors either.
ďBreathe in, Breathe out, Move onĒ
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:33 AM   #8

X2 Happy Camper, love it
Old 07-04-2022, 05:41 AM   #9

I still just prefer the macerator style toilet. Not getting any responce from a like kind conversion, I am guessing if anyone has done this in a similar situation to mine, they haven't picked up on the thread yet. I'll start up on the reasearch and if I embark upon this project, and if it works out ok, I'll do a writeup here on the process.
Can anyone provide the make/model of the macerator toilet used in Isatas and M2's? I'm still wondering about that box my current toilet sits on and the Dometic heights. I can't remeber how the toilet sat on my 2020 Isata-5 and am not sure if any of the M2 macerators sit on a similar box. Otherwise the height wll need to be considered.
Thanks for the input so far.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
I still just prefer the macerator style toilet. Not getting any responce from a like kind conversion, I am guessing if anyone has done this in a similar situation to mine, they haven't picked up on the thread yet. I'll start up on the reasearch and if I embark upon this project, and if it works out ok, I'll do a writeup here on the process.
Can anyone provide the make/model of the macerator toilet used in Isatas and M2's? I'm still wondering about that box my current toilet sits on and the Dometic heights. I can't remeber how the toilet sat on my 2020 Isata-5 and am not sure if any of the M2 macerators sit on a similar box. Otherwise the height wll need to be considered.
Thanks for the input so far.
Tecma
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #11

A Facebook post by Bobby Gilbert details this process for an Isata 5 30FW. I could not find a FB link, so I uploaded the file.

The macerator is a drop in replacement for the non-macerator toilets that Dynamax uses I believe on all their models. Itís on my ToDo list, but I have not got around to it yet.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/revie...2-d8fda188a838
Old 07-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #12

Macerator toilet conversion M2 106 Force

Hello milkman55 and invisibleman itís me Bobby Gilbert if you have any questions.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 37gt View Post
Hello milkman55 and invisibleman itís me Bobby Gilbert if you have any questions.
Glad you are here to answer questions. Last I checked you were happy with your macerator conversion which you documented so well.

I never can correlate FB names to Dynamax Forum screen names.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:14 PM   #14

Yes we love the toilet. We have had no problems. In between trips I leave water in the toilet and put some dish liquid in it. From what I read on line this will help keep the impeller clean.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #15

Many years with the gravity drop toilet too. Our macerator toilet works great and I wouldn't want to switch back. Nice to not have to shut off fans every time I flush and there is no residue to clean on the inside of the drop to tank. Makes dumping and cleaning black tank much easier too.
I agree the simple operation of the gravity drop toilets makes sense but there are pluses and minuses as mentioned. One big minus to a gravity drop is if the manufacturer installs it where the drop is in the upper section of the black tank. That is to say where the tank slopes instead of the larger section where the water sits mostly (at the dump). That results in poop-pyramids right below the toilet. I believe manufacturers should always go with the macerator unless they can drop into the large section of the tank where the water collects.
That said, there's more to wiring up a macerator toilet than just power. The tank sensors need to be installed too. I suppose one could fake them out but why install and not have full functionality.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 12:44 PM   #16

IMHO, the direct drop is akin to a one hole out-house. Back in the day it was just what you got and that was part of the RV experience. Then when I got my Isata-5 and there was a pretty normal toilet with water in it that flushed (I didn't know it was a macerator toilet) I was very pleasantly surprised and assumed the RV industry had made a significant advancement. I was quite taken back when my new 2021 force showed up with direct drop. I see a fair number of responses in this thread of people that seems to feel direct drop is perfectly adequate, and for sure, functionally, it's pretty bullet proof. That said, my direct drop, among other things, seems really small. I barely fit on it, and a am not a large guy by any means. It sure seems smaller than the macerator that was on my Isata-5. Maybe it's my imagination. I was concerned when I started looking into this about the reliability of the macerator toilet and the problem of having no toilet it it failed. But there also is plenty of feedback that seems to indicate the macerators are as reliable as about anything else on the coach. And I never really boon-dock. I stay either in an RV park, interstate rest area, or home where I have hookups. So there is literally always backup services, albeit not necessarily quite as convenient. For me the macerator it will be, as long as I can part out the necessary pieces and space.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #17
MSgt & MSgt, USAF Retired

Interesting conversation here. I am on the other side when it comes to the macerator. When I head to deer camp there is not sewer hook ups available. With my fifth wheel drop toilets I could go 2 1/2 weeks without dumping. With the macerator on the ISATA 5 I must dump every 3 -4 days and it's just me in the rig. I did learn late last year that the bathroom sink also drains into the black tank which was a surprise. Using the kitchen sink for teeth brushing etc extended the period between dumps a tad. First world problems I recon. Since we are picking up our DX3 this weekend I guess I'll look cool deer hunting and while dumping.
2020 Ultra CVO
clockcuff_66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet