Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2022, 03:01 PM   #1

Magnum Auto Gen Start change to Xantrex AGS

Ok,

I have a 2018 I5 35db and I find this interesting. It's got this nice Xantrex inverter system, a system that can also be built out with a Xantrex auto gen start that easily installs with it. However, Dynamax decided to install a Magnum standalone AGS. Firstly, WHY? Why not install the Xantrex AGS?

Second, has anyone else removed the magnum and installed the Xantrex AGS on their own later? If so, how did it work out for you?
jthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Likely availability. We don't typically mix and match unless it serves a purpose.

Are you original owner? We avoided the Xantrex for a while because people kept pushing the red power button thinking it would disable the inverter, but it really put it in "Standby Mode" which did not even allow pass-through power. They they thought something was broke.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Likely availability. We don't typically mix and match unless it serves a purpose.

Are you original owner? We avoided the Xantrex for a while because people kept pushing the red power button thinking it would disable the inverter, but it really put it in "Standby Mode" which did not even allow pass-through power. They they thought something was broke.
I am not the original owner. I am the second owner. I run working K9's and when I'm boondocking I want to run the generator at a certain temp or voltage. With the little wheels on the standalone, it's hard to get the right temp but I think I finally got it. So now that it's working I probably don't have to mess with it anymore.

My only other issue is that now and then, when I'm leaving my thermostats on for the Atwood A/C units, every once in a while during the generator cycling on and off, one the of thermostats will go into E4 and I have to reset it. Kind of hard to do if I have two dogs in the coach and I'm 20 miles away working a K9 deployment with another. I need it to be reliable but right now, I don't trust it.

The only thing I don't trust anymore at this point is the Atwood units going into error now and then. Not sure how to avoid that. I wish they would come up with a thermostat that will communicate with the magnum and / or Xantrex systems... Maybe it exists but I don't know.
jthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote