Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #1

Maxfax vent & furnace power

So...installed the new, and different but similar, motherboard for my bad Maxair fan. Doesn't work, and the other 2 fans now won't work. No answer at the factory and they haven't returned my phone message all week. We're getting in a couple days of camping before winterizing and at a Harvest Host site tonight. I've just discovered that whatever glitch the new motherboard caused has also caused the furnace thermostat to not work. Motorhome wiring at its finest. Low of 37 tonight and I'm glad we brought extra blankets! Anybody have a similar experience with Maxair?
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:45 PM   #2

Did you check the fuses? All the fans may run off the same fuse. If the new board blew the fuse, take it out replace fuse and see if other fans run. Not sure what that would have to do with the thermostat. Possible the thermostat is on same circuit.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMort View Post
Did you check the fuses? All the fans may run off the same fuse. If the new board blew the fuse, take it out replace fuse and see if other fans run. Not sure what that would have to do with the thermostat. Possible the thermostat is on same circuit.
Fuses all good. I probably didn't phrase my post as well as I could have. The furnace thermostat is made by the same company that makes the fans to the best of my knowledge, though I'm really curious as to the wiring and power supply of things, and if there's a common denominator.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:27 AM   #4

You know I think I would do a quick double check of the placement of the wiring to that board to make sure things are properly in proper polarity just a guess on my part but something I would do good luck let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You know I think I would do a quick double check of the placement of the wiring to that board to make sure things are properly in proper polarity just a guess on my part but something I would do good luck let the forum know what you find.
Thanks, that's the first thing I did. I didn't discover the furnace issue of course until it was time to fire it up last night so after a run through of basic possibilities I decided to crawl under a bunch of blankets and try and work on it this morning. DW is still sleeping in a cocoon of blankets. I think one of our dogs is in there with her. I'm on my first cup of coffee and it's 38° outside and close to that here.
I'll get back at it soon.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:59 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you have a multimeter, spend a few minutes checking power and fuses. (don't just look at them) You should quickly be able to tell if you have a power issue using a meter.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If you have a multimeter, spend a few minutes checking power and fuses. (don't just look at them) You should quickly be able to tell if you have a power issue using a meter.
I have 2 multimeters, and failed to put one of them back in my travelling tool kit. This was a quick spontaneous sort of trip and I'm mad at myself for the haste with which I prepared. I think I'm just going to suck it up and tough it out until we get home Saturday. It'll be easier to tear into the fan and motherboard where I'm pretty sure the problem and answer lie.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #8
Commercial Member

While the Maxair fan and furnace are made by the same company, they have ZERO connection between them. Maybe 12V power?

You have a pre-multiplex unit correct? Putting a new board in the Maxair fan would have nothing to do with the furnace, unless of course a fuse blew that affected power to them.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
While the Maxair fan and furnace are made by the same company, they have ZERO connection between them. Maybe 12V power?

You have a pre-multiplex unit correct? Putting a new board in the Maxair fan would have nothing to do with the furnace, unless of course a fuse blew that affected power to them.
Thanks for chiming in Brian, it's appreciated. The relationship was just a guess on my part, and my thoughts were more towards the power source being shared. Something in that new and different motherboard seems to have interupted the power supply to the other fans. I discovered that as soon as I replaced it, restored power, and checked the fan. Then discovered the other two stopped working. Checked fuses, all good. It just seemed as though there was a power supply relationship, and the thermostat is close to the bath fan.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Well, if they are daisy chained....Power goes to that fan and then to the other fans and finally to the t-stat, that could be an issue as well....if when removing the board, power was not properly wired back up.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 10-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Well, if they are daisy chained....Power goes to that fan and then to the other fans and finally to the t-stat, that could be an issue as well....if when removing the board, power was not properly wired back up.
May be the case. Wouldn't be the first time wires didn't twist up properly in a wire nut. I'll be digging back into it later.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #12

Let there be heat!

Rechecked connections at the new motherboard, all good.
Replaced fuse after walking to a nearby hardware store, no change.
Removed fan in bathroom and connected positive and ground wires, other two fans now work and the thermostat lit up.
Scratching my head over this one but at least my head is warm!
Old 10-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Rechecked connections at the new motherboard, all good.
Replaced fuse after walking to a nearby hardware store, no change.
Removed fan in bathroom and connected positive and ground wires, other two fans now work and the thermostat lit up.
Scratching my head over this one but at least my head is warm!
Interesting. Well, at least the problem area is now isolated. Sound like something was not quite hooked up right. What about putting power and ground to the fan separately? See if it works then.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Interesting. Well, at least the problem area is now isolated. Sound like something was not quite hooked up right. What about putting power and ground to the fan separately? See if it works then.
That's a great idea and I will do that...but not until we get home tomorrow. I'm happy to have heat! Woke up to 38° this morning and we're further north for tonight. I've winter camped a bunch when I was much younger and a little more foolish, and years of deer camp and Yooper living come to mind. Besides, my wife's feet are cold enough as it is.
I'm going to enjoy our wonderful, and heated, Isata 3 tonight. I think it's cocktail time anyway ...

Tags
furnace, power, vent