Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Mercedes Diesel Question - RV Sales Line?

We are thinking of moving to a motor home and loved the Dynamax Isata 3 with the full wall slide. When I went to the dealer he asked how we were going to use it. Right now we would be looking at occasional summer camping and about a max of 5,000 miles per year. He stated that we should avoid diesels and that they are more trouble and maintenance when you let them sit idle and not run them and we would be better off with a gas unit. While I do see some logic in his argument based on semis having many many miles on engines that keep on going I am unsure if it would apply in the case of the smaller Mercedes Diesel Engine.

Is he blowing smoke or is this a valid concern?

Thanks in advance for any opinions
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Commercial Member

lol...That used to be the rule of thumb for a big Class A diesel pusher. The Sprinter is more akin to a passenger car/van/SUV.

There are thousands being used exactly as you want to use them. Other owners will chime in here on the costs. While the service may cost more, the intervals are longer and you get better fuel economy. At the end of the day, in a small unit like this, I think it all washes out. We'll have our gas E450 out next month, but I still like driving the Sprinter better.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 PM   #3

Thanks I suspected as much.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

Our Freightliner get 5-6,000 miles per year. I do start it once a month and let it run. I was told to do an oil and filter change once a year just in case. I dont see any more expense to the diesel. Oh I also use a cetane additive to keep the fuel from gelling, it makes me feel better.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 08-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

We love our 2014 Solera24R. No toad needed, can get around most anywhere we wanted to go.
24000 miles, no problems.
How ever, I wouldn't buy one today. Mercedes specifies no more than 5 percent biodiesel. Not a problem in Wisconsin (where we reside) but in several states, especially west of the Mississippi you will find diesel can have up to 20 percent bio additives.My understanding is that more states will be mandating more bio. Thank you corn lobby. Go online check out the Mercedes sprinter fuel specs. I wish I had.
JohnHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

Thanks for the information JohnHenry. I did check the specs. A information sheet from Mercedes that indicates prolonged use of Diesel that is more than 5% diesel can gum up the fuel system and effect the oil levels with uncombusted fuel. This will be another consideration.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #7

Don't forget the Cargo Carrying Capacity

While I like the MBS chassis, a big negative is the very low cargo carrying capacity (CCC) these motorhomes have. Ours is about 925 pounds (Forester MBS 2401R) and I've seen some folks on here with CCC's as low as 800 pounds.

Payloads like that will not allow you to boondock and/or carry much of anything.

I was too ignorant to even ask about this when we purchased.

Of course, if you don't care about operating overweight, then have at it.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #8

I would care about operating overweight and that would definitely be a consideration. One of the selling points is the amount of space that a Class A crossover has over the Dynamax Isata as well. I will pay attention to the CCC as well. Thanks for the insight.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
RailwayRog

There was a thread on Sprinter-Forum about how to keep modern diesels running in optimum condition. Here are a few excerpts:
don't idle them for long periods
do not use them for short trips
one guy stated "drive it like you stole it".
and of course use engine oil specific to that engine
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

We owned a small MH built on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. I was very pleased with this V6 diesel and it never gave me an bit of trouble. It also traveled about 4-6k miles a year and did have periods of time where it sat unused for weeks on end. The salesman is either very ignorant or blowing smoke, either way, he's totally WRONG and I wouldn't pay any attention to his advice!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, mercedes