Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

Michelin

when I picked up my 30FW about 15 months ago, i neglected to check the tire pressures and ran low for a few thousand miles before correcting. consequently, they are badly cupped and i want to change out the front 2 with Michelins, but the 12 ply xrv (Load range f) rv tire is back-ordered nationwide with no word on when they will again be available. does anyone have knowledge of rv use of michelin 14 ply xze (load range g) commercial truck tire?

any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated
Dick Skeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #2

I think that is a good choice may produce a slightly stiffer ride (maybe) but the added ply's on the steer axle is a plus. As they wear down they can be rotated out to the drivers provided all are the same size.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Skeers View Post
when I picked up my 30FW about 15 months ago, i neglected to check the tire pressures and ran low for a few thousand miles before correcting. consequently, they are badly cupped and i want to change out the front 2 with Michelins, but the 12 ply xrv (Load range f) rv tire is back-ordered nationwide with no word on when they will again be available. does anyone have knowledge of rv use of michelin 14 ply xze (load range g) commercial truck tire?

any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated

I would think that you would WANT the load range 'G' tire as that is what comes on the 5500's from the get go. I'd hate to see you step DOWN to the load range 'F' tire just because they call it an "RV Tire".
Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #4

thanks for the reply, I thought that it came with load range F, and will check later today.
Dick
Old 08-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the heads up. I will be keeping it at G
Old 08-20-2019, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I will be keeping it at G
No worries!

Total coincidence, but I happen to buy some steers for our Isata 5 today as well. Went with the Continental Hybrid HS3. I would have preferred the Michelins, but the deal on the conti's was simply too good to pass up.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:42 PM   #7

thanks, i will check them out
Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #8

Quote:
thanks, i will check them out
They were a local craigslist deal for me. I did learn something from it though:

Ford fits the F-550 with these Conti HS3s at all 6 positions because Conti calls them "All Position" tires, but they really have the tread pattern of a steer tire. Well, a lot of F-550 owners are swapping out these HS3s in the rear for the same HDRs we have on the Ram 5500 because apparently the drive traction from these HS3s is less than ideal. So, I found a shop that is buying piles of HS3s with only delivery miles on them and 2019 date codes and reselling them. They are essentially brand tires and he sold them to me for $400/pair/out the door. At that price, I'm willing to see what it's like to have a steer tire up front rather than a traction tire.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #9

A friend of mine has a I5 and he recently switched to the Michelins, he said the ride quality was night and day better.
Webefine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
No worries!

Total coincidence, but I happen to buy some steers for our Isata 5 today as well. Went with the Continental Hybrid HS3. I would have preferred the Michelins, but the deal on the conti's was simply too good to pass up.
Don't we have HSR's on the front? Why would you switch to the HS3?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Don't we have HSR's on the front? Why would you switch to the HS3?
*YOU* Have HSRs on the front because you have a 4x4. The 4x2s have HDRs at all 6 positions. Why they have a drive tire in the front position is beyond me, but all 4x2 Ram 5500s come that way.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
*YOU* Have HSRs on the front because you have a 4x4. The 4x2s have HDRs at all 6 positions. Why they have a drive tire in the front position is beyond me, but all 4x2 Ram 5500s come that way.
Well that's just weird. That'd be noisy and rough riding. No wonder you all complain about the front end being rough, stupid tires. Did you get the built in tire sensors on the 3's you bought?
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Well that's just weird. That'd be noisy and rough riding. No wonder you all complain about the front end being rough, stupid tires.
You got it!

Quote:
Did you get the built in tire sensors on the 3's you bought?
Not a chance. That "ContiPressureCheck" system is a pretty targeted at the trucking industry and I am virtually positive that the entire system, with the in-cab monitor, is a couple thousand dollars. My EeZee TPMS will be just fine for my needs.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #14

I just got my 30FW and noticed the ride being stiff from the tires. I had the same issue with my Winnie Navion (Sprinter chassis) and Conti's so I changed them to the Mich LTX which were quite a bit better for ride quality. A completely different tire than what's on the Ram but it worked. Now with these big 19.5" commercial truck tires I don't know, but it sure would be nice if just switching out these tires could help the ride. I decided to add the Kelderman front air kit and Firestone rear air kit first for maximum benefit. I might try Mich's next.
fstclyz is offline   Reply With Quote