Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #1

Mobile alarm system

Who out there is running alarms in their Super C, what brand did you go with, what made you decide to go with that brand and have you had any issues/regrets with your decision?

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
Who out there is running alarms in their Super C, what brand did you go with, what made you decide to go with that brand and have you had any issues/regrets with your decision?

Jim

Reach out to Ed @ EdandShelley. I believe he installed a SimpliSafe system in his XL.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:37 AM   #3

I must admit, I was trying to solidify my already made decision. I may already have SimpliSafe in our XL too.

FWIW, I think it is working quite well, anyone else have any thoughts/opinions?

Jim
Old 04-22-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
2022 Dynamax Europa 31SS

Undoubtedly, you will receive a number of varied comments regarding the usefulness of a surveillance system on your rig. I'm not gonna weigh in on that topic as it is a personal decision. I will add that there is little down side other than cost.

Concerning the issue of security, I would like to reiterate what many already know about the bay door locks having a common key among many manufactures. I found myself receiving only one bay door key when I purchased my MH. Rather than get a few more cut, I just purchased two on Amazon for $10. I am not sure, but I suspect the Trimark lock on the entrance door is similarly common.

My point is that perhaps rekeying important locks would be an additional step to help secure your property.
M_I_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #5
RV There Yet?

part of my daily job is evaluating security systems. SimpliSafe is a major fail in our case. it can be easily bypassed if someone knows that is what you have. its wise to advertise that you have a system, but not WHAT you have. below is a video that explains the vulnerabilities of the system. are you looking to use it while plugged in to shore power or is this something that needs to be working off of battery like in a storage yard?

Old 04-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #6

Looking primarily to secure while plugged into shore power, both while we're in it (sleeping) and while we may be away from camp.

I have many other security measures for while it is at our home, that's all I'll say.

Jim
Old 04-22-2022, 02:42 PM   #7

We use Ring. We mount the doorbell outside while camping and internal cameras for camping and storage.

We have an unlimited data plan so it is always on.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:27 AM   #8

For me, I built my own security system using a raspberry PI and some sensors. My coach is always internet connected, so I get notifications when things happen.

I know everyone can’t build their own, but it is very cool

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
Señor Miembro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
part of my daily job is evaluating security systems. SimpliSafe is a major fail in our case.
So what system(s) do you recommend?
I'd like some security system for boondocking. Ideally the system will send smart alerts (camera can distinguish between people and animals), sending video and two-way audio via cell phone. Right now, we just don't leave it unattended unless in a decent campground.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 01:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
Reach out to Ed @ EdandShelley. I believe he installed a SimpliSafe system in his XL.
We researched the options and went with a Simplisafe system. Very good decision.

Mounted the keypad to the left when we enter the RV.
Put smoke detectors
- Inside Front
- Inside Back
- Electric Bay
- Aquahot Bay

Temp Sensors
- Wet Bay
- In kitchen area

Simplisafe camera above the driver/passenger area. Only active when the RV is in storage so it captures anytime they move the RV or work on it at NIRVC.

Also put a panic button on the wall next to the bed

Give Simplisafe a call if you need to change the system from ATT to Verizon. They will send a board at no charge.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
So what system(s) do you recommend?
I'd like some security system for boondocking. Ideally the system will send smart alerts (camera can distinguish between people and animals), sending video and two-way audio via cell phone. Right now, we just don't leave it unattended unless in a decent campground.
security through obscurity is your best option. the main problem for us is that people (general public) would be able to identify the system and break in and steal things by overriding the system. siplisafe works fine as long as you know its limitations and dont put up their sticker/advertise that is what you have.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #12

We have used the Tattletale Edge for years, it is a company out of Columbus Ohio. it is a single unit and has a battery backup, built in motion detector. Part of the annual fee covers the Verizon card that is built in. We added door contacts and you can add smoke detectors etc… it is quick to send us a text if something comes up.

Annual fee is not bad and has remote control or you can arm/disarm from the app.

No wifi needed and that is why we picked this unit.