Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #1

Mopar/TRW TPMS sensors

I had all my Factory TPMS units replaced by a Dodge dealership. 4 rear ones came in a single bag. One of them wasn't immediately working so I had an aftermarket one put in by a local tire shop, that has registered.

Pictures are of the factory unit removed.
FYI, Mopar charges $75 each. The aftermarket unit was $35. They just need to work on the same frequency.Attachment 260365Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210804_171731125.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	260366
Old 08-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #2

You have just dispelled the myth that you have to have the same factory transmitter for the system to work. good info
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #3

I've run the cheap aftermarket ones in my jeep on multiple sets of wheels over the last 5 years without issue. The cost savings alone is enough to justify remounting a tire in the event one doesn't work. Though I'd probably just wait until the next change out. YMMV
Old 08-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #4

Here's another angle photo of the factory TPMS.Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210804_171748551.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	260386
Old 08-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #5
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
Here's another angle photo of the factory TPMS.Attachment 260386
I dont see a part number on the one pictured. Should be ...22AD according to my dealer?
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You have just dispelled the myth that you have to have the same factory transmitter for the system to work. good info
One case does not a myth dispel. The RAM forums are full of failed TPMS sensor examples and very few (if any) recommendations for an alternative. Even in the example here, the writer does not have a brand or a source to offer and there is a significant difference.

Its the same story with LED and Halide lamps. Literally hundred of imitating examples available on EBay but few have the endorsement by name of actual users under test conditions. Either reliability, fit or focus point, or any or all of these are variables.

And of course for most of us the failure of these TPS units is happening during the warranty.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I dont see a part number on the one pictured. Should be ...22AD according to my dealer?
Lots of numbers on the sensor. Hence 2 photos. The first picture has a P 68455822AD visible.

WRT the aftermarket unit, although I haven't driven the vehicle much, the aftermarket sensor did connect to the vehicle. I'll know more in a week or so and can confirm its viability as well as try and get the aftermarket product that was used.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:14 AM   #8
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Lots of numbers on the sensor. Hence 2 photos. The first picture has a P 68455822AD visible.

WRT the aftermarket unit, although I haven't driven the vehicle much, the aftermarket sensor did connect to the vehicle. I'll know more in a week or so and can confirm its viability as well as try and get the aftermarket product that was used.
That is the correct P/N for the outside wheel not the inner which is ...8223AD, missed it upside down on my phone.

Looking forward to seeing the non branded part details. One thing to be mindful of is not only the ability to connect but also to stay connected as the pressure and temperature increases. Most of us seeing drop outs are because of these factors. So easy enough to connect but another story with respect to staying connected.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
That is the correct P/N for the outside wheel not the inner which is ...8223AD, missed it upside down on my phone.

Looking forward to seeing the non branded part details. One thing to be mindful of is not only the ability to connect but also to stay connected as the pressure and temperature increases. Most of us seeing drop outs are because of these factors. So easy enough to connect but another story with respect to staying connected.
I have had the failures you speak of starting 20 min after I left the Dealership last Decenber...it freaked me out. I put 6000 miles on before having all 6 replaced 2 weeks ago, so I have seen them all come and go..... Not to confident that we will get good results. The Tire shop owner, who also owns a new Isata 5 30FW thinks it might be the receiver unit up front and not the sensors...
Old 08-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #10

Quote:

My guess is that the sensors are all the same.....what is different is the valve stem connected to each, since the wheels have different stems pointing in different directions.....
In my case we replaced the stems completely and put on the Borg stems and Gorilla caps.....mucho mejor!!
Old 08-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #11
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
My guess is that the sensors are all the same.....what is different is the valve stem connected to each, since the wheels have different stems pointing in different directions.....
In my case we replaced the stems completely and put on the Borg stems and Gorilla caps.....mucho mejor!!
In which case that would mean that one could not have aftermarket sensors fitted because no dealer would agree to that unless you supplied them. And without the dealer's software you could not code/set up the sensors to recognize each in its position?
Old 08-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #12

Shrader makes universal sensors that you use a programming tool to set to your model. They work great and it’s what we are using on our tpms kit.

Unlike the aftermarket tpms systems these battery’s last years!

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #13
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
Shrader makes universal sensors that you use a programming tool to set to your model. They work great and it’s what we are using on our tpms kit.

Unlike the aftermarket tpms systems these battery’s last years!

—john
Interesting.

https://catalogue.schradertpms.com/e...vehicletype=AU

No availability for RAM 3500 or 5500 2020 models.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #14

Quote:
In which case that would mean that one could not have aftermarket sensors fitted because no dealer would agree to that unless you supplied them. And without the dealer's software you could not code/set up the sensors to recognize each in its position?
The Tire shop I took them to and shared replaced one of the 6 new sensors with after market. He has the right tools to connect the sensor to the head....
At this point I dont ever plan on going to a Dodge dealership for anything related to TPMS
Old 08-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #15
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
The Tire shop I took them to and shared replaced one of the 6 new sensors with after market. He has the right tools to connect the sensor to the head....
At this point I dont ever plan on going to a Dodge dealership for anything related to TPMS
I believe you are right. Any rear end work on an I5 is not going to be possible at a RAM dealer, warranty or not. They are going to have to send it out so you might as well have a preferred supplier to throw at them when it comes to warranty and for the rest go direct.

Also I believe there are very few dealers that can do an alignment. The mind boggles that with all the trucks sold in the DFW area, no RAM dealer has that capability. They can do a 5500 but not an extended wheelbase or a loaded edition which by definition is an RV.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Did you try Roger Williams Chrysler Dodge? I know they have come through a few times for us.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #17
Norwood Auto Italia

Thanks Brian – not yet because they are in Weatherford which is a 200 mile round trip for me.* I did see your post at the beginning of this thread with respect to them and am keeping them “in reserve” as it were, for the yet to be needed event that requires the rear end in the air for warranty.*The challenges these dealers face is that they have never seen a long wheel base 3500/5500 package that is at or close to the GVWR.* They sell C&C and C&C with factory “approved” upfitting such as ambulances.* Until they saw my I-5, their service managers told me that they had no idea that anyone was making a RAM – RV as this has always been a Ford domain.*
Old 08-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #18

TPMS Range

Any on have issues OEM RAM 3500 TPMS system with 43' Trailer? I have intermittent issues due to distance from tires to receiver.
rawoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:56 PM   #19

So is it a TPMS sensor issue (the sending unit) or is it the receiver unit location? I have heard conflicting stories on this one.

I have three to four TPMS sensors that are either bad (they are intermittent, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't) or the receiver is not getting good connection due to interference...

Thanks,
DK
Old 08-31-2021, 02:07 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Ram tried to claim at one time it was because we stretch the chassis. If that was the case however, we would see a higher rate of failure on the 34DS which is the longest stretch....and we do not. it seems to affect them all about the same rate and we have even seen it on raw chassis. So blows that theory out of the water.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms