Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #21

I am not sure but if someone is more knowledgeable, I suspect a diesel cab/chassis may be close in cost to a Mercedes Sprinter chassis.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Not only Sprinters. The Isata-5 is on a Ram 5500 chassis with a de-tuned Cummins diesel.

except for the puny V10 that can’t get out of its own way if the road has the slightest hill.
That is the problem with gassers. Especially in high elevations. And a greater fume/fire potential. I had enough motorhomes in my life to know that I would never, ever buy one without diesel power & gen.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrver View Post
A short diesel rv 26-28’ with large OCCC to compete with the Sprinter would sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
You have to ask yourself why so many Sprinter-based MH have sold. Maybe cuz there is a market for smaller motorhomes these days. And how many buyers are ready to trade up from lack of suspension & tire load range "bang, bang, rock & roll"?
x3
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #24

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now this is what I call "engineering innovation"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not the same ole, same old!!!
Not the me too either!

And this is a 11'-6" triple slide truck camper that sits on the back of a pickup bed. WOW!
Video - wait for complete download

Article - 2018 Host Mammoth 11.6 Triple-Slide Truck Camper

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mammoth-floorplan-queen-2-5-13.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	196498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mam-Back-to-Front.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	196499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mam-Bedroom-Flip.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	196500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mam-Front-to-Back.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	196501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2018-02-09-at-8.44.59-AM.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	196502  

Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #25

Thumbs up

or !!!!

if you prefer

Link -Expedition
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	196503   Click image for larger version

Name:	6_1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	196504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilt Cab.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	196505  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #26

Our 2006 Dynaquest 320 sold in only a months time ( in January no less ). The sad part of it is that if it had a cabover bunk, I would still have it. It was 33' 9" bumper to bumper. I agree with above comments about having some more shorter MH options. I think Dynamax is on the right track though, since they recently introduced their Force and DX3 models in the 34' floor plans.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #27

Triple slide truck campers have been around since 2008. I owned one from 2010 until 2017 when I sold it to buy my DX3. I really liked the truck camper but the wife and I are planning on going full time in the RV and wanted more space than a truck camper provides.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	196510
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #28

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #29

[QUOTE=Magnatudes;2022323]WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now this is what I call "engineering innovation"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not the same ole, same old!!!
Not the me too either!

Host has been doing these for a few years, I was very close to buying one a couple years back. Nicely done, very heavy, you'd need a Class 4 or 5 truck to haul it and they are pricey. There's a Camper place in Phoenix that's a dealer if you are interested.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #30
Commercial Member

The trade off is...the easier you make it to access the cab, the higher you make the cab over bunk. So really, the 5 series is the best compromise.

In my 17 years in this business, as soon as you take out a fixed bed, the quantity of sales diminishes dramatically. Most people do not count the cab-over as a fixed bed as most people don't want to climb a ladder to get to it. In fact, in Europe, 90% of their beds in the back are up high and they have a garage below that for bikes. Great feature, but gain, most buyers in the US don't want to climb up into a bed, even in the back.

Not saying it would be something we would build, but I don't think there are as many buyers as you think there are. With limited engineering time, we need to know that a floor plan will be widely accepted.

The 30FW is only 32'...pretty small considering the extended length of the cab.

We are looking at that floor plan on an M2 as well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatudes View Post
Maybe back then Forest River took over and scaled back, or maybe the chassis were no longer available, or demand for short coaches was not there at that time, … who knows? I would be curious to how many 27'-5" STs sold during that timeframe?
And to answer the question of the Dynaquest ST264. 41 sold from 2005 to 2010.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

There he goes again destroying our fantasies with viable facts.

Bummer. [emoji41]

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by randocommando View Post
"Host" used to make a Class C that was based on a crew cab Ford. Had 4 doors/seats. Much safer way to travel, especially with kids if requiring car seats. Here is a link to one with pictures. They had other models though. I wish someone would make a crew cab an option. Allows for a big bed above the cab.

2007 Host 270 4x4 Powerstroke 1FDAW57P56EC52479 - Nevada RV
Quote:
Brian,

Is that 41 ST264s or did you also count in all the 27'-5" models ST260s & ST275s in that number.

I agree about a fixed bed. And as my wife keeps saying, no more fixed beds where you can't stand up next to it.

The Host Mammoth truck camper has some good ideas on gadgets & some floor layout but for us, no more campers. Too much of a hassle.

The ST264 was an ideal floorplan for us & the short wheelbase with short rear overhang to go up step trails and get into tight places is important. Plus, we would have about an inch clearance between the coach & overhead door in the barn. It would be nice to have opposing slideouts on a ST264-like floor plan. And/or a rear slideout with a fixed queen bed that can be used while the slideout ids retracted on the road, similar to a Renegade Vienna VQRS.

Was 2010 the last year for the ST264?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #34

Renegade Vienna rear slideout bed idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.png
Views:	104
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	196626  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #35
Commercial Member

We looked at that. The issue is they make the slide out SO small (no dinette option). The coach is longer than the 24RW and to get a bed that slides in without folding, they add length and take space from the living area where you arguably spend most of your time. It puts the stove in front of the bathroom door.

If I pull up ALL 260, 264, 275's...they sold about 150 from 2005 to 2010.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #36

Brian,
I noticed that the earlier ST264s had 8 lug axles and later had 10 lug axles. when did this change. Do you know what else changed back then? Did the early ones have air brakes & air ride/air leveling? Did any have a Cummins engine instead of MBE900 or C7?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #37
Commercial Member

I think that was when the tires sizes changed. Long before my time. I seem to think they did have air brakes.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #38

Quote:

The 30FW is only 32'...pretty small considering the extended length of the cab.

We are looking at that floor plan on an M2 as well.
Do you have an approximate ETA on the M2 version? Are you planning a cabover bunk on this version? And....any chance of fixed bed instead of folding? Maybe something like you did on the 24CB that is entirely open at the foot of the bed.

Thank you.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #39
Commercial Member

oh, way too early for that. We're just exploring options right now. At least a year out on something like that. We would plan on optioning the cab, just the the others.

We would likely not do a corner bed. No way to do a non-folding bed, the math just doesn't work. We would consider a "reclining bed", so the back would raise up...but again, the issue is, those don't pull the mattress back far enough in today's design to get enough clearance for the side room to come in.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by randocommando View Post
"Host" used to make a Class C that was based on a crew cab Ford. Had 4 doors/seats. Much safer way to travel, especially with kids if requiring car seats. Here is a link to one with pictures. They had other models though. I wish someone would make a crew cab an option. Allows for a big bed above the cab.

2007 Host 270 4x4 Powerstroke 1FDAW57P56EC52479 - Nevada RV
Quote:
oh, way too early for that. We're just exploring options right now. At least a year out on something like that. We would plan on optioning the cab, just the the others.

We would likely not do a corner bed. No way to do a non-folding bed, the math just doesn't work. We would consider a "reclining bed", so the back would raise up...but again, the issue is, those don't pull the mattress back far enough in today's design to get enough clearance for the side room to come in.
I agree with where in the Fugawi, a fixed bed layout like the 24CB. Basically, a ST264 that is 27.5 ft max overall. That murphy bed stuff is hokey and a hassle. No bed for the wife to lay on while driving. How about a 24CB bed that can be on an 24FW -like slideout?