Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Motorhome insurance in Texas

What are you paying?? We just loved here from Marylnd and we are getting ridiculously high quotes!!!! Advice please!!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #2

I have my cars and home with GEICO and adding the RV was only about $500 per year, way less than either of my other two autos and it’s by far the most expensive. I do have it listed as recreational use, not full time.

I just did a competitive quote and the closest was Progressive, but they still didn’t beat GEICO. Progressive treated the RV as a separate policy, not commingled with the autos.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 PM   #3

Nationwide beat them all for me. $800 a year for an Isata 5. Did receive quotes up to $2500
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 AM   #4

We got our best quote and coverage from Safeco. They also have the policy on our house.
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

It's hard to give you any advice, for several reasons: are you wanting insurance in TX? You say you're from Maryland? We're confused.

Insurance is not a 'one size fits all' thing you can just 'compare' with others. Even if your neighbor has the EXACT same rv , cars, home, etc., they may pay MORE than you, or they may pay LESS than you. YOUR driving record, YOUR credit history/score, YOUR vehicles, YOUR coverage choices, and how YOU pay for your insurance will all have an impact on YOUR premiums. Even those with insurance policies from the SAME company will not have the same rates or same final premium, even with everything else 'seemingly' being the same.

Your BEST bet is to always compare many different companies, agencies, and online quotes to find what works best for you. I'll even bet that you don't wind up with ANY of the companies that other people mention here, it's just not that simple.

States have differences between them, as state regulations and insurance laws vary COMPLETELY differently between them - even your ZIP code, where your 'store' or 'garage' your vehicle, and how much you 'travel' will change your premium... or, your longevity with a company, or your other policies with that same company, will greatly impact your final price.

You will find that 'comparing' prices with others will only result in confusion, aggravation, and sometimes unrealistic outcomes. (YOU may actually get a much better price than THEY have!) : )

I know, I'm an agent.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #6

Progressive was our best choice price and coverage. I also have it under my umbrella policy that covers our home and cars
Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
ETF

The company that insures our home and vehicles wouldn't insure our RV. They only insure RVs up to a certain price point and the DX3 was above that. We had our independent agent do the work and the cheapest one that they found for the coverage that we wanted was Progressive but our annual premium is a lot higher than some others on here have quoted at about $1500.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #8

All you can do is shop around, spend lots of time in the phone. After awhile you know exactly what to ask for and what to avoid. We used to use a local agent, but found we can do better ourselves in keeping our cost down while retaining the coverage we want.
Insurance frustrates me, especially the many inane reasons for a premium increase. The days of staying with one company and then covering everything are gone.
We change companies frequently (whenever there is a rate increase). So far we have always managed to find a much lower cost for the same coverage. It just takes time and patience.
Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
We finally found something reasonable and are going with Progressive on the DX3. And yes we moved from Maryland to Texas with excellent credit and driving records.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
we moved from Maryland to Texas
FYI, your profile still says Maryland.

Welcome to Texas! We live between Austin and San Antonio in the Hill Country.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
FYI, your profile still says Maryland.

Welcome to Texas! We live between Austin and San Antonio in the Hill Country.
Oh you're right it does, thx for reminding me! Were u at the "gathering " in Delaware this year? Did we meet? Recommendations for nice campgrounds please!!
Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #12

Lots of nice places in Texas. Give me some idea where you want to visit and I will give you some ideas.

We live on the Guadalupe River and there are a lot of campgrounds all along the river with riverfront camping.

This is our backyard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	721918A0-C6B1-4605-8886-8AB317EB410C.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	209590  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Lots of nice places in Texas. Give me some idea where you want to visit and I will give you some ideas.

We live on the Guadalupe River and there are a lot of campgrounds all along the river with riverfront camping.

This is our backyard
Will do and thank you! Only been here a week so were still drowning in boxes for now.
Your backyard is gorgeous!
Old 07-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The days of staying with one company and then covering everything are gone.
We change companies frequently (whenever there is a rate increase). So far we have always managed to find a much lower cost for the same coverage. It just takes time and patience.
Good luck!
Several years ago, I start looking around every 3-5 years. Currently, I have GEICO and it went DOWN about $40 for this next 6 month period.
To the OP - Congrats on the move to Texas. I've still got in-laws here, so there's no major move for us for awhile. Can't wait to get out of this state!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #15

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Several years ago, I start looking around every 3-5 years. Currently, I have GEICO and it went DOWN about $40 for this next 6 month period.
To the OP - Congrats on the move to Texas. I've still got in-laws here, so there's no major move for us for awhile. Can't wait to get out of this state!
Thanks for the info. Hubby in a hurry to get everything lined up here so he can return the plates to MD to avoid that fee once he drops insurance there. And yes, leaving there was the best part of this move
Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #16

Quote:

This is our backyard
I want to camp in your backyard! Beautiful.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorhome