Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
Jim & Gerry

Multiplex not showing 50 amps DX3 2020

Our multiplex has never shown anything other than 30 amps. It has been plugged into several different 50 amp sources, but never shows 50.

Is it supposed to show 50 amps? Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks
Jeep Renegade
MovnOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #2

On the precision Plex system in my unit I can select Amp (10, 20, 30) if not on 50 amp. When on 50 amp there is no setting. It knows it is on 50 amp.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #3

15, 20,30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
On the precision Plex system in my unit I can select Amp (10, 20, 30) if not on 50 amp. When on 50 amp there is no setting. It knows it is on 50 amp.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #4

I have only had mine on 15 and 50 amp along with generator. It always shows the correct power source and amps.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Jim & Gerry

Ours has never been plugged into anything other than 50 amps. Since it only shows the choice of amps,—. Looks like we will be calling Dynamax tomorrow. Thanks for the info

Gerry
Jeep Renegade
Old 05-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #6

I think you would have more success if you call Precision Plex directly at 630-515-9100. They can diagnose their own products more effectively.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:09 AM   #7
Dynamax Service Rep

The precision multiplex system will not show a 50 amp service,only 30,the system does recognize it as stated above.
GTinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #8

MovnOn, check your data cable the goes from your midi module to the side of your breaker panel in the back. I have a 2020 DX3 TS with the same issue and Dan from PP helped me trace the problem over the phone. I had to take the bottom draw out and check to make sure I had a cable from the midi module to the breaker panel. Inside the panel is a amp probe { you have to take the cover off to see it ] that reads the white neutral wire. I checked the data cable with my volt/ohm meter. I had a bad plug where they are crimped. If your plugged in be careful not to get shocked.
ci4mynewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Jim & Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ci4mynewf View Post
MovnOn, check your data cable the goes from your midi module to the side of your breaker panel in the back. I have a 2020 DX3 TS with the same issue and Dan from PP helped me trace the problem over the phone. I had to take the bottom draw out and check to make sure I had a cable from the midi module to the breaker panel. Inside the panel is a amp probe { you have to take the cover off to see it ] that reads the white neutral wire. I checked the data cable with my volt/ohm meter. I had a bad plug where they are crimped. If your plugged in be careful not to get shocked.
Just now getting a chance to look at this— what and where is a midi module? Found the breaker panel in the back, but——. Where to look for the midi module?

Thanks, Gerry

Found it—. It looks the same as the pictures that we found—. Next step, we need to call PP.
Jeep Renegade
Old 05-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #10

I took the bottom drawer out next to the breaker panel and you'll see it it'll be marked you should have two modules there and the data cable comes out of one module and goes in to the side of the breaker panel behind the wall the module should be mark Ed midi
ci4mynewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #11

Suggest you go to the Magmum remote, usually located on the driver side wall just behind the drivers seat. Press the shore button to see what the setting is. If it says 30amp that is all the amps the coach is allowed to receive from the power pedestal. You can change it to 50 by pressing the knob on the right and dial clockwise to increase the amps, then press the knob to retain the setting. 30 amps is the default setting and it may not have been changed from time of manufacture. If you move to 50 and connect to a 30 amp park pedestal you will need to change it back to 30 or you could blow the breaker when coach has a the A/C's, TV, coffer maker and microwave all asking for power.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
Jim & Gerry

Ran out to the barn, found the Magnum— pressed the shore, and it is set to max 50—. Sigh, but thanks, learned a little more about this rig!

Thank you—
Jeep Renegade
Old 05-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #13

OK, take a look at this video and see it helps you. I'm out of ideas. When you get it sorted out let us know what the issue was all about. Thanks.

I

Old 05-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #14

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
Suggest you go to the Magmum remote, usually located on the driver side wall just behind the drivers seat. Press the shore button to see what the setting is. If it says 30amp that is all the amps the coach is allowed to receive from the power pedestal. You can change it to 50 by pressing the knob on the right and dial clockwise to increase the amps, then press the knob to retain the setting. 30 amps is the default setting and it may not have been changed from time of manufacture. If you move to 50 and connect to a 30 amp park pedestal you will need to change it back to 30 or you could blow the breaker when coach has a the A/C's, TV, coffer maker and microwave all asking for power.
I'll have to reconfigure your explanation of this 'Shore Max' setting, as it is NOT intended to 'limit' any incoming AMPS to the coach, but only serves to allow you to SET your intended maximum amperage that you are wanting the BATTERY CHARGER to use.
In essence, you don't generally have to 'worry' too much about this setting when you are on 'full' 50amp RV service. Remember, though, that 50amp RV service is NOT just 50amps, it is 50amps at 240volts, TWICE as much as simply 50amps at 120v, or essentially the same as 100amps at 120volts. When on 'full' 50amp service, the battery charger will have no problems pulling all the amps it needs to charge the batteries, even during it's BULK CHARGE mode. There are some exceptions, maybe if it's REALLY hot and you are running two or three roof air conditioners and the water heater and the microwave and tvs and fans and devices, etc. In this case, you can 'preserve' some of your headroom by turning DOWN this Shore Max setting to a low number, like 10, to then LIMIT the amps the Battery Charger can access while everything else is running.
The actual 'Shore Max' setting number is NOT the amperage of the outlet you are plugging into, but one of a 'max' that you want the battery charger to 'think' that you have access to. If the 'Shore Max' setting actually have the full range of amperage numbers, it would go all the way to 100, not just 60, which mine does. I imagine it only goes to 60 because my 6000kw Onan Generator only produces up to a similar number for it's output, which is also another reason to employ this 'Shore Max' setting - when you are on the Generator.

If you use the 'default' Shore Max setting, like 30amps, you'll probably always be in a fair place to preserve amperage headroom and avoid tripping a Shore Power breaker, or the Generator's breaker - but in some situations, you DO want to lower that number, or in a rare instance, you may want to INCREASE it, especially when you have the AGS starting the generator due to low battery levels, so that the batteries can receive AS MUCH amperage charge as possible, when off-grid, overnight, etc.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #15

Per Magnum Energy manual, "Shore Max-enables you to change your setting to coordinate with the circuit breaker rating from the incoming AC source." Per MI suggested shore max setting, "set it to match the current rating of the utility power or the generator's circuit breaker. If you are applying two AC sources (utility and generator) to the inverters single input through an AC transfer switch, adjust the Shore Max setting to the smaller AC circuit breaker size of the two AC sources."

In addition, "when the total current used to power the AC loads and charge the batteries begins to approach the Shore Max setting, the current that was used for charging the batteries is automatically reduced." This ensures the AC loads have the needed current (not available on MM/MME-E/MM-AE/MMS/MMS-E models).

Old 05-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #16

right, but the manual is not designed 'only' for RVs, but for anyone using this Inverter/Battery Charger in any various and differing scenarios - meaning that all the settings available, including 5,10,25,35,40,45,55, and 60, are not campground, rv park, or home 'AC sources' that you would ever use.... RVs only typically use the 15, 20, 30 or 50(though the 50 is actually 240v 50amp service, not 50amps at 120v)...so the 'numbering' options that they provide is not likely to 'exactly' correlate with any reasonable 'rv outlet' that you are plugging into, or even your own generator's output.

The only reason the SHORE MAX setting is available is to 'help' the Magnum system understand YOUR desires as to how it handles the AMPERAGE provided to the Battery Charger. It has NOTHING to do with limiting ANYTHING ELSE, as it is NOT tied to your Roof Air Conditioners, your Water Heater, etc., so there is no way it can measure the 'AC LOADS' except for what is coming thru the INVERTER(pass thru of 120v power to your outlets).

So, if you are on 50amp 240v RV service, and you set it to '50', you are only telling the Battery Charger that you have 50amps at 120v, which may not seem to be any issue, except that if you are running the Air Conditioner and the Water Heater, which happen to be on that same 'leg' of 240v power, you could then easily have your Battery Charger, in BULK charging mode, ask for 'too much' amperage, tripping the RV's main breaker. Since the 'side' of power that the Battery Charger is receiving power from has no way to monitor anything but itself, this is in no way going to help 'protect' the overuse of amps, it actually would do quite the opposite.

Really, what the last paragraph is talking about is the 'total current' run through the breaker which provides power to the Inverter, which is what this Magnum remote panel is reading. It has no way to read what power is coming into the coach's Main Panel, which is really what you want to be aware of.

With trial and error, you'll find that 'tweaking' this setting to your liking, as to how you travel and camp and where you plug into, is more important than just setting it to a specific 'outlet breaker size', which is what it is referring to. It would be easy to assume that it understands all the other AC loads that you are using, but it is NOT an EMS(electric management system), but only a 'manual' setting that allows the owner to 'tell' the system how to handle the amount of amperage the Battery Charger is allowed to use. As the 'pass thru' amperage thru the Inverter starts to reach that number, the Battery Charger is then cut back automatically, to preserve amperage needs for other AC Loads thru the Inverter, and ultimately to provide less 'tripping' of a breaker.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #17
Jim & Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
OK, take a look at this video and see it helps you. I'm out of ideas. When you get it sorted out let us know what the issue was all about. Thanks.

I
Jeep Renegade
Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #18
Jim & Gerry

Not sure what happened to my text but—- “user error?” Anyway, appreciate your suggestions, will let you know the solution, but it will be a while. Hubby having major back surgery in a week- doing pre-op, etc this week.

Thanks again, Gerry
Jeep Renegade

Tags
50 amp, dx3, show