Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
No it’s per axle weight. I didn’t weigh each tire indivisibly, just front and rear. The Michelin chart I posted earlier shows the total weight per axle with single front wheels and per axle with duel rear wheels.
Sorry no just looked through the post and it’s not there. I must have posted it on the Dynamax Facebook page. Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9100CE6D-E138-4498-8AA2-B06FDCA0E39A.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	210228  
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Sorry no just looked through the post and it’s not there. I must have posted it on the Dynamax Facebook page. Here it is
I found it it’s on the (another tire pressure question) post.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #43

Quote:
No it’s per axle weight. I didn’t weigh each tire indivisibly, just front and rear. The Michelin chart I posted earlier shows the total weight per axle with single front wheels and per axle with duel rear wheels.
Sorry to bother you again, is that a misprint on your rear axle weight? Should that be 7160# for rear axle?
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Sorry to bother you again, is that a misprint on your rear axle weight? Should that be 7160# for rear axle?
Correct 7160
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #45

Wow. What is a tire pressure gauge they anyone would recommend? An amazon link would be great
Old 07-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #46

China Bomb?

Most likely you are running with Chinese made tires. A lot of RV manufacturers sell their units with these Chinese made tires and have blow outs with low mileage. I had the same issue last summer running with Goodyear Marathon tires. On the inside wall of tires in small print they were stamped Made in China. Goodyear Endurance tires are supposedly still made in the USA and of great quality.
saburzynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaulick View Post
Went with the Hercules 225 70R 19.5. Rode nice from Amarillo to Albuquerque. Hercules is made by Cooper Tires. They get really good ratings and less expensive.

To throw icing on the cake of this trip home. Our dinette slide had a fault code and the Multi Plex is not communicating with the wet cabinet showing no voltage. Spent time on the phone with Brandon at Dynamax who was great and helped us override the system to bring the slide in. Going to contact Precision Multi Plex folks tomorrow to see if we can find that error.

The slide might be the panel went bad. Getting for red lights and one green flashing lights. Going to switch out the panel with the bedroom slide to see if that is the issue. Might have to cut this trip short and skip Moab and St Goerge, Utah.
Can you tell any noise or ride difference with the Hercules? I don't like the Continental's noise on the rear tires.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by saburzynski View Post
Most likely you are running with Chinese made tires. A lot of RV manufacturers sell their units with these Chinese made tires and have blow outs with low mileage. I had the same issue last summer running with Goodyear Marathon tires. On the inside wall of tires in small print they were stamped Made in China. Goodyear Endurance tires are supposedly still made in the USA and of great quality.
Pretty sure he had Continental HSR's like most 5's have, and I believe those are made in the USA (but might be wrong)
Old 07-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinful View Post
Wow. What is a tire pressure gauge they anyone would recommend? An amazon link would be great
I use an older Bridgeport commercial, not sure if you can buy them anymore. I don't trust digital, just like TPMS are not all that accurate. If you have duals, you have to use the trucker style long metal to get to that inner tire.

This is the closet to mine.

https://www.amazon.com/WYNNsky-Exten...ateway&sr=8-30

or this one, probably better since it's a Milton

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-976-...teway&sr=8-131
Old 07-19-2019, 12:19 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Cold tire pressure that morning was per the placard on the door jam? Vehicle was not overloaded?

Other than road damage violent blowouts are caused by under pressure and overloading. Tires over 4 or 5 years old are too old.

-- Chuck
4 or 5 years being "too old" is an opinion, but not one shared by too many tire experts. Almost all of them say to increase inspection by a tire shop at that age, but commonly suggest 6 or so for replacement.
Mark N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #51

What was the experience

Sorry to hear about this experience. We all fear this. Lots of discussion on tires to this posting, but I am curious about the driver experience during the event. Can you tell us what you experienced in the handling of the vehicle? Was there any loss of control? Was there anything you did or didn’t do that we could learn from?

I had a couple of blowouts on my old Keystone due to old tires. I know better now not to push tire age, regardless of outward appearances. My camper took some damage, but the blowout event was pretty straight forward. I never had any loss of control. I just looked for a safe place to pull over.

Your event involved the truck. What was that like?
EyeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
Sorry to hear about this experience. We all fear this. Lots of discussion on tires to this posting, but I am curious about the driver experience during the event. Can you tell us what you experienced in the handling of the vehicle? Was there any loss of control? Was there anything you did or didn’t do that we could learn from?

I had a couple of blowouts on my old Keystone due to old tires. I know better now not to push tire age, regardless of outward appearances. My camper took some damage, but the blowout event was pretty straight forward. I never had any loss of control. I just looked for a safe place to pull over.

Your event involved the truck. What was that like?

When the tire blew we were traveling about 65 MPH. Luckily I had both hands on the steering wheel. The front end tried to pull to the left hard. Had to fight the steering to slowly bring the RV to a safe stop. I know not to slam on the brakes. I was told if you do this in this situation you could loose control and flip. We were on the side of the road for 5 hours. Big rigs would come flying by and felt like the RV was going to tip.

When the mobile tire guy got there, I placed down the front jacks to help stable his jack so it didn’t slip. Glad we had a full tank of gas, so was able to run the generator and the ACs.

The second tire was the inside left rear. I believe the tire was damaged during the first blowout which weaken it and blew about 700 miles later.

Prior to leaving on this trip I had my neighbor (who owns a tire store) inspect my tires and he stated the looked real good. Even the mobile tire guy stated what good shape the rest of the tires were in and no signs of rot.
kaulick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #53

I had Goodrich tires with low mileage and only a few years old. Turned out there was a recall due to unexplained sudden loss of tire pressure causing the tire tread to come off. My suggestion is to send your pictures to the manufacturer along with a copy of your bills and request for them to cover full replacement cost for all of your tires. Best of luck
douglasjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire