Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Nasty blowout of front driver side tire on our ISATA 5

Traveling on the I-40 westbound about 30 minutes out of Nashville, TN. Tire blew with incredible force blowing off the wheel well, the side step and part of the front lower plastic. Had a TST monitor but no prior warning of the blow out or any indications from the monitor that anything was wrong. Been sitting on the side of the road for over 3 hours waiting for a mobile tire repair. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	209351Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3867.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	209352
kaulick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

Cold tire pressure that morning was per the placard on the door jam? Vehicle was not overloaded?

Other than road damage violent blowouts are caused by under pressure and overloading. Tires over 4 or 5 years old are too old.

-- Chuck
Old 07-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #3

Tire pressure was at the right amount. Dynamax last year changed out my front axle putting a more heavier duty axle in since the built it over weight in the front. This is one of the first ISATA 5s to roll out. Tires have about 30k miles on them and are 3 years old from the time we received the unit.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Did you notice any temps rising? Looks like the tread came off completely.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Did you notice any temps rising? Looks like the tread came off completely.

Didn’t get any indicators on the TST unit. Have the temp set at the factory setting. Not sure if was a quick rise in temp and never registered.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaulick View Post
Tire pressure was at the right amount. Dynamax last year changed out my front axle putting a more heavier duty axle in since the built it over weight in the front. This is one of the first ISATA 5s to roll out. Tires have about 30k miles on them and are 3 years old from the time we received the unit.
As a side note, we didn't change the axles. The only difference between the 7,000 and 7,250 rating are the springs. We replace the existing springs with the HD spring as part of their HD package. Ram told us originally that the 4x4 came that way. We later found out we needed the HD option....which we also found out were springs. Supposedly they are changing the option name to reflect that.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #7

If it’s a 2017 rv then is probably a 2016 Chassis so tires could have a date code as old as 2015. That and the mileage could have contributed to the blow out. My Isata 3rw is a 2017 with a 2016 chassis with 33000 miles and I just replaced the Continentals with Michelin’s. It would be interesting to know the date code on your tires.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Maybe even older as 2016 chassis "model years" started in 2015 and the tires could easily been in the warehouse for a couple of years.

-- Chuck
Old 07-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Maybe even older as 2016 chassis "model years" started in 2015 and the tires could easily been in the warehouse for a couple of years.

-- Chuck
Very possible.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #10

I had to replace the Conti HSR’s on the front after 35,000 miles. Had them inflated to 95 as per the door sticker and they wore out from under inflation. They are now at 105 and i’m told there is very little wear after 9,000 miles.

Tire shop owner told me that since the rig was running at the max on the axle limit that he was surprised that I only wore them out instead of blowing one out.

A little harsher ride but the airbags offset it so no biggie.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:06 AM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3876.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	209423Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3869.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	209424
Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #12

The chassis is a 2015 even though the RV is a 2017. The tires had 29k on them.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
2014 XLR 27HFS

I feel your pain.this happened to me Saturday driving home. Took the wheel well trim out and ripped off the black tank flush connection. Also cut the tire next to it. Good times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_102418.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	597.3 KB
ID:	209459  
dave961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #14

Wow, that looks worse than mine. I am lucky that we didn’t rupture the front fuel tank that sits next to the rail.

Waited 5 hours for mobile tire service to arrive. Luckily enough fuel to run the generator so we had AC during the wait.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
As a side note, we didn't change the axles. The only difference between the 7,000 and 7,250 rating are the springs. We replace the existing springs with the HD spring as part of their HD package. Ram told us originally that the 4x4 came that way. We later found out we needed the HD option....which we also found out were springs. Supposedly they are changing the option name to reflect that.

Thank you Brian. Thinking of going with the one comment and pumping the front tires to 105. What do you think? I keep them know at the 95.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #16

Date code

Every tire manufactured has date code stamped on it. Would be interesting to know that if you still have the carcass.
pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #17
Commercial Member

I’m certainly not jumping into the tire pressure debate, those get really long. Cold tire pressure should be based off of a scaled weight load. We run them all at max pressure from the factory as required for not knowing your loaded weight. if you leave them there it will likely be a harsher ride if you are carrying a lighter load.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #18

I'd have this ""rig" weighed and see if or how much over gross weights (axles and gross) it is.

Tires are seldom the governing factor in the suspension rating and frequently have capacities well in excess of the suspension (axles and springs) -- but they gotta be properly inflated to support the actual weight which ya don't know without a scale. I think it's under $20 at a CAT scale and takes 3 minutes. Ask one of the hot shot truckers weighing their pickups and trailers for help. Most seem more than willing.

-- Chuck

-- Chuck
Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I'd have this ""rig" weighed and see if or how much over gross weights (axles and gross) it is.

Tires are seldom the governing factor in the suspension rating and frequently have capacities well in excess of the suspension (axles and springs) -- but they gotta be properly inflated to support the actual weight which ya don't know without a scale. I think it's under $20 at a CAT scale and takes 3 minutes. Ask one of the hot shot truckers weighing their pickups and trailers for help. Most seem more than willing.

-- Chuck

-- Chuck
I'm cheap. I weigh my truck/trailer at the nearby state Weigh Station that is unmanned most of the time but the scale readout is visible through the window in the door. It's 2 miles from my house on a secondary highway.

Free is a great price

FWIW, most of the scales on the Interstates in our state have weight readouts on poles where truck drivers can see as they drive over. When the scales are closed and unmanned just drive your rig across and weigh for free.

Naturally this will vary by state but it's one thing we do benefit from here in WA.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #20

It is nice to know your front and rear axle weights so you can adjust your tire pressure for best ride, fuel mileage, and safety. I don’t know what brand of tire you purchased but I have Michelin and they have a chart on line for psi by axel weight. My Isata 3RW has a front axel weight of 3900# and a rear weight of 1160#. That allows me to run my tire pressure as low as 55#. I run them at 60 to be on the safe side. I use the cat scale, it was only $11.00 and they guarantee accuracy.
FYI I weighed it packed and ready to travel with me in the drivers seat, full of fuel and 1/3 full of fresh water. Gray and black tanks empty.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸

Tags
tire