Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Need Advice - Squeaky Cab Over

We have a 2018 Dynamax Isata 3. By and large things have gone well for the first few thousand miles. There were a few punch list items of course and those are being worked through the selling dealer. One thing that is bothering me is the squeaking in the cab over by the shelves and TV and the interface between the Mercedes Benz cab and the house. I’ll attach a few pictures about where it appears to be coming from once I figure out how. My questions are: (1) Has anyone had a similar problem? (2) Are there known typical solutions? (3) Did anyone do it themselves? (4) Try the dealer? (5) Take all the way to Dynamax (if possible)? Thanks for any information in advance. Rob. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69D92B43-2141-42B0-937B-B2E0B73EDC2B.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	186598   Click image for larger version

Name:	714E4074-7EE0-48AF-984C-B0DE79BE284F.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	186599   Click image for larger version

Name:	D8D4A365-8824-4C12-BD23-69E7DAE99159.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	186600  
mncp8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #2

We also had a squeak in the area of the TV. We found that placing a paper towel around the pin that locks the TV bracket, then carefully inserting the pin in the hole stopped the squeak. It was the pin that was causing all the noise.

Not sure of other sources of cab squeaks.
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Therin lines the catch 22 of the articulating bracket. We had fixed, but most people want articulating, but with articulating there are more joints...joints that make noise.

I have seen two solutions.
1. as listed above, keep the pin from sliding up and down.
2. get a neck pillow and stuff it behind the TV to keep the TV and whole assembly from moving. (I think someone on here cut a big chunk of foam)

make that 3....turn the radio up

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #4

I Don't Think That's It

Brian - Thanks for your reply. I really don't hear it from the TV area though. My TV is actually tight enough where I have to work pretty hard to get it locked in. The noise seems to be directly over the driver's and passenger's heads. Depending on how old you are you might understand a comparison to one of those old all styrofoam coolers making squeaky noises when you took the cover off and on. If it were me, I'd just add a couple more speakers near the windshield and turn the stereo up but my travel partner isn't as deaf as I am and doens't appreciate being blown out of her seat. Any other ideas? How is the chassis connected to the house underneath everything? Best regards, Rob

(ps - I have to say that having a GM who cares enough to be on line is really a game changer for deciding to choose or stay with a brand. We'll be moving up - probably to a Super C in the next year or so and will be looking at Dynamax first for just this reason.)
Old 09-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Commercial Member

You have to be careful about sound transmission. A while back, on the 5 series there was a squeak that many thought was the cab over...swore by it and maybe one was, but many found it ended up being the back up camera that was clipped over the rear view mirror. It was squeaking and the sound was bouncing off the windshield.

As for the 3 series...there is a big U-shape metal bracket that attaches to the roof of the cab and then we tie the front end into that. We use fiberglass insulation in that front end, so it wouldn't be that. I would try with the cabinet doors open first...see if maybe the catches are squeaking. Those are plastic parts.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

My DX3 has a similar Styrofoam squeak overhead in the cab. Pushed on wood work and doors and didn't stop squeak. Will work on it more after I get it back from having the rear cap replaced.
BC, I wonder how many of the younger generation knows about "catch 22"? I've used that phrase and have been met with blank stares. But then, a lot of what I say gets the same reaction!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook47 View Post
My DX3 has a similar Styrofoam squeak overhead in the cab. Pushed on wood work and doors and didn't stop squeak. Will work on it more after I get it back from having the rear cap replaced.
BC, I wonder how many of the younger generation knows about "catch 22"? I've used that phrase and have been met with blank stares. But then, a lot of what I say gets the same reaction!
I’ve got that same squeak and have not been able to find the source...please post up if you find something. Do you have the cab-over bunk?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

Happy to do so. I’m going to start with Brian’s suggestion and go from there.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #9

And no I don’t have the cab over bunk. Just the cabinets and the TV.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #10

Don't have the overhead bed either.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #11
Cruisin

Has anyone found a solution to the squeaky cab over bed? Our sounds like the styrofoam cooler too. 2018 Dx3
DX3MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #12
hhl

Isata 3 FW cab over bed. Also squeaking when new. After a few months of use the squeaking stopped. Must have rubbed enough to remedy the sound.
2018 model, 12000 miles later we love the Isata.
With warranty issues just make a list. Bring to dealers attention and wait till all the items are ready to be worked on. In the mean time enjoy the rv. 2 year warranty is wonderful.
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Therin lines the catch 22 of the articulating bracket. We had fixed, but most people want articulating, but with articulating there are more joints...joints that make noise.

I have seen two solutions.
1. as listed above, keep the pin from sliding up and down.
2. get a neck pillow and stuff it behind the TV to keep the TV and whole assembly from moving. (I think someone on here cut a big chunk of foam)

make that 3....turn the radio up
The Radio doesn't work in the ISATA 3
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #14

I've got the same I3, and I found a few of the hinges were noise culprits. They're Euro hinges and have a few extra parts and pieces to make them work nicely and be adjustable. Take a blunt #2 Philips screwdriver and check for tightness on the hinge plate where the arm attaches. I'd send a picture but I'm barefoot, drinking coffee and it's cold and snowing like crazy. (But I'd be happy to later if need be.) The hinges, which they buy in large quantities, don't always come tightened perfectly and they can easily work loose. The cabinet door shown in your first picture, in mine, had a loose top hinge. They're great hinges and are really easy to adjust for symmetrical alignment. I'll be happy to share anything more I find out as I work at my own sound abatement. Gotta tweak the squeaks...they're little rolling houses. It amazes me they're as quiet as they are under the circumstances.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #15

You should check out my post in the Forester section under noises, noises. I had this exact problem and fixed it easily by stuffing a towel between the MBS plastic headliner and the cab over.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #16
Cruisin

Our noise is directly overhead of the drivers seat in the dx3. Squeaky!! It seems there is a small plastic trim piece that rubs the bed but I can’t figure out how to stop it. Maybe some white grease?
DX3MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX3MAN View Post
Our noise is directly overhead of the drivers seat in the dx3. Squeaky!! It seems there is a small plastic trim piece that rubs the bed but I can’t figure out how to stop it. Maybe some white grease?

Same. Do you have a cab over?
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
Same. Do you have a cab over?
We have a cabover and have the squeak as well. It started/has always been directly over the passenger seat but has now extended to the area around the upper passenger seat belt mount. Sounds like plastic on plastic to me, but, no matter where I apply pressure, I can’t seem to make it stop
mookieblaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #19

[QUOTE=hook47;
BC, I wonder how many of the younger generation knows about "catch 22"? I've used that phrase and have been met with blank stares. But then, a lot of what I say gets the same reaction![/QUOTE]
Regarding the phrase, it makes me wonder how many have read the great Vonnegut book by that name?
I just identified one sqeak; the trim junction from the post to the overhead on drivers side. The plastic trim/post cover is cut a little short of tucking behind the horizontal trim that faces the overhead entertainment center. Pretty easy fix with some two-sided foam tape.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #20

Joseph Heller.