Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #1

Need some advice for humidity

Boondocking on the beach right next to the gulf of Mexico. As I'm sure you can imagine humidity is pretty high. More like a constant state of damp. Temps are good so it's comfortable and since were boondocking keeping everything closed up and AC on isn't an option.

Wondering what others do in this situation?

We run the genset a couple hours a day to top the batteries off. We were running the AC at this time, but noticed that just turns the vents into a condenser. Trying them on just dry setting now.

What does the dry setting even do?

Would I just be better off letting it ride and embracing the damp? Any tips appreciated.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #2

I think you might have to open the windows and any ceiling fans and enjoy the good weather. Any other solution that I can think of uses electricity.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #3

yaufey 30 Pint Home Dehumidifier for Medium to Large Rooms and Basements with 4 - Pint Water Bucket Continuous Drain Hose Outlet and Intelligent Humidity Control for Space up to 1500 Sq. Ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JCXKSX8..._M4REEb2T64C6X

I run one of these in my dx3 - if you are considering getting one I will post picks on my set up - it made a huge difference for us this year - never be without it again !

Let me know and I’ll post some pics tomorrow if your interested
Old 03-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Boondocking on the beach right next to the gulf of Mexico. As I'm sure you can imagine humidity is pretty high. More like a constant state of damp. Temps are good so it's comfortable and since were boondocking keeping everything closed up and AC on isn't an option.

Wondering what others do in this situation?

We run the genset a couple hours a day to top the batteries off. We were running the AC at this time, but noticed that just turns the vents into a condenser. Trying them on just dry setting now.

What does the dry setting even do?

Would I just be better off letting it ride and embracing the damp? Any tips appreciated.

Where are you Boondocking A we are in Texas in the gulf currently!
Old 03-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I think you might have to open the windows and any ceiling fans and enjoy the good weather. Any other solution that I can think of uses electricity.
Dont get me wrong. Windows are open and fan is going all day and night. I need to run the gen about 2 hrs a day for the batteries anyways so more was just wondering during that time.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
Where are you Boondocking A we are in Texas in the gulf currently!
Padre Island Natl seashore.

How much power does that dehumidifier use? I'm guessing it'd put a hurting on my batteries/solar
Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Dont get me wrong. Windows are open and fan is going all day and night. I need to run the gen about 2 hrs a day for the batteries anyways so more was just wondering during that time.
No worries.

You need someone who knows what that 'dry' setting means. I can believe that that 100% humidity that you've got on Padre Island turns the vents into a condensor.

That's a beautiful place to camp.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Padre Island Natl seashore.

How much power does that dehumidifier use? I'm guessing it'd put a hurting on my batteries/solar

I do not know check the specs - I am not boondocking - we are at south padre - I have two I would have loaned you one to try if I was near ( social distancing would have made me wipe it down in alcohol)
Old 03-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #9

I have a 30 pint one (different brand) with similar specs and it's 3 amps.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
I do not know check the specs - I am not boondocking - we are at south padre - I have two I would have loaned you one to try if I was near ( social distancing would have made me wipe it down in alcohol)
Haha we can drive to the channel and you can toss it acrossed! Otherwise its like a 4 hour drive I think

Just kidding of course.

From what I was reading the dry setting just runs the compressor every 6 min or something when over the set temp rather than trying to get down to it. In any event even running both on just dry resulted in drippy vents so I may just embrace the soup and not worry about running the ACs at all. For as warm and humid it is, it really is pretty comfortable.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #11

The evaporator (cooling coils) in an RV air conditioner are on the roof. They are in an evaporator enclosure that recirculates inside air. It is sealed from the outside EXCEPT for a drain tube which is supposed to drain the condensation onto the roof.

The problem is that the recirculated air always includes a little dust. When that dust hits the moist evaporator coils it turns into mud. The mud eventually clogs the drain tube. The drain pan then overflows and drips internally.

Your job is to go onto the roof, remove the air conditioner shroud, open the enclosure, and clean the drain tube. You might be able to clean the drain tube without opening the enclosure.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The evaporator (cooling coils) in an RV air conditioner are on the roof. They are in an evaporator enclosure that recirculates inside air. It is sealed from the outside EXCEPT for a drain tube which is supposed to drain the condensation onto the roof.

The problem is that the recirculated air always includes a little dust. When that dust hits the moist evaporator coils it turns into mud. The mud eventually clogs the drain tube. The drain pan then overflows and drips internally.

Your job is to go onto the roof, remove the air conditioner shroud, open the enclosure, and clean the drain tube. You might be able to clean the drain tube without opening the enclosure.
What does this have to do with my post? I'm talking about humid air condensing on the ducted vents when cool air is coming out of them. I highly doubt condensate from the evaporator is making it's way through my ducting and forming equal droplets on each vent.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #13

What I thought

Quote:
What does this have to do with my post? I'm talking about humid air condensing on the ducted vents when cool air is coming out of them. I highly doubt condensate from the evaporator is making it's way through my ducting and forming equal droplets on each vent.
I envisioned it as appearing on the vents directly below the air conditioner. The initial post wasn't specific.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #14

I have never seen dripping from any vents in my house or my RV. I also have never heard of "Dry setting". Tell me more. If that a setting on your tstat? They keep making new stuff on me. I can't keep up.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #15

If this is of any value, we have a mobile home in SW Florida and we are right next to the Gulf. When we button up, we set the thermostat at 80 degrees and the humidistat at 60 percent. The electric bill is telling us it doesn't run very often. When we are there and running the air, we have occasionally noticed condensation on the outside of the windows. Temperatures and humidity should be similar to your area. Because you are near water doesn't mean the humidity is 100 percent unless there is morning fog. Two years prior, we camped in the same area and very near the water and humidity never was an issue.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The electric bill is telling us it doesn't run very often. ... Two years prior, we camped in the same area and very near the water and humidity never was an issue.
They are boondocking, so they are not hooked up to electricity. Not having a/c for more than a couple of hours a day when they run the generator probably isn't going to take enough humidity out of the air.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #17

Yeah I'd bet setting at 80 the compressor would run a lot less than even on the dry setting. Probably wouldn't cause much issue. I was surprised last night when even on dry setting I got condensation on the vents.

Humidity isn't 100 percent but my weather station has been reading in the high 80s and 90s at all times. We've had super heavy fog every morning.

In 4 years of camping I've never seen it like this, hence the question. That said the gulf and constant wind has basically been like a swamp cooler so even at higher temps its pretty comfy. Think just embracing the conditions are in order.

Thanks for all the input and perspective everybody
Old 03-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #18
Commercial Member

I get you...and we see this at shows in Florida all the time. The doors will be open with the A/C on and droplets collect on the vents.

As we all know, warm air holds more moisture than cool air. So, as the A/C is on, it passes across the outlet vents and makes them cold, when the warm air hits the cold A/C louvers, it can't hold the moisture and we get water on the vents. (just call me Mr. Wizard). I only mention this because the responses seem to have run off the rails.

So...to further clarify what you already know, it would be best to run it on dry mode (not cool)...get a dehumidifier that runs on wind power, or replace your volume of paper towels/TP with equal volume of desiccant.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 PM   #19

Interesting reading. I have never experience this out westl.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #20
Commercial Member

It’s dry out west....you miss out on the 98% humidity in the summer, followed by the wonderful 20% humidity in the winter. It’s wonderful. I could power a small country with static electricity just getting dressed.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote