Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
FOURWHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,299
Need some advice for humidity

Boondocking on the beach right next to the gulf of Mexico. As I'm sure you can imagine humidity is pretty high. More like a constant state of damp. Temps are good so it's comfortable and since were boondocking keeping everything closed up and AC on isn't an option.

Wondering what others do in this situation?

We run the genset a couple hours a day to top the batteries off. We were running the AC at this time, but noticed that just turns the vents into a condenser. Trying them on just dry setting now.

What does the dry setting even do?

Would I just be better off letting it ride and embracing the damp? Any tips appreciated.
__________________

__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3 - Big Blue

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,745
I think you might have to open the windows and any ceiling fans and enjoy the good weather. Any other solution that I can think of uses electricity.
__________________

__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jpheifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bettendorf Iowa
Posts: 272
yaufey 30 Pint Home Dehumidifier for Medium to Large Rooms and Basements with 4 - Pint Water Bucket Continuous Drain Hose Outlet and Intelligent Humidity Control for Space up to 1500 Sq. Ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JCXKSX8..._M4REEb2T64C6X

I run one of these in my dx3 - if you are considering getting one I will post picks on my set up - it made a huge difference for us this year - never be without it again !

Let me know and Iíll post some pics tomorrow if your interested
__________________
Joe Pheifer
DX3
Jpheifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jpheifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bettendorf Iowa
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Boondocking on the beach right next to the gulf of Mexico. As I'm sure you can imagine humidity is pretty high. More like a constant state of damp. Temps are good so it's comfortable and since were boondocking keeping everything closed up and AC on isn't an option.

Wondering what others do in this situation?

We run the genset a couple hours a day to top the batteries off. We were running the AC at this time, but noticed that just turns the vents into a condenser. Trying them on just dry setting now.

What does the dry setting even do?

Would I just be better off letting it ride and embracing the damp? Any tips appreciated.


Where are you Boondocking A we are in Texas in the gulf currently!
__________________
Joe Pheifer
DX3
Jpheifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
FOURWHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I think you might have to open the windows and any ceiling fans and enjoy the good weather. Any other solution that I can think of uses electricity.
Dont get me wrong. Windows are open and fan is going all day and night. I need to run the gen about 2 hrs a day for the batteries anyways so more was just wondering during that time.
__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3 - Big Blue

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
FOURWHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
Where are you Boondocking A we are in Texas in the gulf currently!
Padre Island Natl seashore.

How much power does that dehumidifier use? I'm guessing it'd put a hurting on my batteries/solar
__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3 - Big Blue

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Dont get me wrong. Windows are open and fan is going all day and night. I need to run the gen about 2 hrs a day for the batteries anyways so more was just wondering during that time.
No worries.

You need someone who knows what that 'dry' setting means. I can believe that that 100% humidity that you've got on Padre Island turns the vents into a condensor.

That's a beautiful place to camp.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jpheifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bettendorf Iowa
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Padre Island Natl seashore.

How much power does that dehumidifier use? I'm guessing it'd put a hurting on my batteries/solar


I do not know check the specs - I am not boondocking - we are at south padre - I have two I would have loaned you one to try if I was near ( social distancing would have made me wipe it down in alcohol)
__________________
Joe Pheifer
DX3
Jpheifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
chroniekon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
I have a 30 pint one (different brand) with similar specs and it's 3 amps.
__________________
2017 Isata 3 24FW
2004 Jeep Wrangler
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
FOURWHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
I do not know check the specs - I am not boondocking - we are at south padre - I have two I would have loaned you one to try if I was near ( social distancing would have made me wipe it down in alcohol)
Haha we can drive to the channel and you can toss it acrossed! Otherwise its like a 4 hour drive I think

Just kidding of course.

From what I was reading the dry setting just runs the compressor every 6 min or something when over the set temp rather than trying to get down to it. In any event even running both on just dry resulted in drippy vents so I may just embrace the soup and not worry about running the ACs at all. For as warm and humid it is, it really is pretty comfortable.
__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3 - Big Blue

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,461
The evaporator (cooling coils) in an RV air conditioner are on the roof. They are in an evaporator enclosure that recirculates inside air. It is sealed from the outside EXCEPT for a drain tube which is supposed to drain the condensation onto the roof.

The problem is that the recirculated air always includes a little dust. When that dust hits the moist evaporator coils it turns into mud. The mud eventually clogs the drain tube. The drain pan then overflows and drips internally.

Your job is to go onto the roof, remove the air conditioner shroud, open the enclosure, and clean the drain tube. You might be able to clean the drain tube without opening the enclosure.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
FOURWHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The evaporator (cooling coils) in an RV air conditioner are on the roof. They are in an evaporator enclosure that recirculates inside air. It is sealed from the outside EXCEPT for a drain tube which is supposed to drain the condensation onto the roof.

The problem is that the recirculated air always includes a little dust. When that dust hits the moist evaporator coils it turns into mud. The mud eventually clogs the drain tube. The drain pan then overflows and drips internally.

Your job is to go onto the roof, remove the air conditioner shroud, open the enclosure, and clean the drain tube. You might be able to clean the drain tube without opening the enclosure.
What does this have to do with my post? I'm talking about humid air condensing on the ducted vents when cool air is coming out of them. I highly doubt condensate from the evaporator is making it's way through my ducting and forming equal droplets on each vent.
__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3 - Big Blue

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,461
What I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
What does this have to do with my post? I'm talking about humid air condensing on the ducted vents when cool air is coming out of them. I highly doubt condensate from the evaporator is making it's way through my ducting and forming equal droplets on each vent.
I envisioned it as appearing on the vents directly below the air conditioner. The initial post wasn't specific.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 4,787
I have never seen dripping from any vents in my house or my RV. I also have never heard of "Dry setting". Tell me more. If that a setting on your tstat? They keep making new stuff on me. I can't keep up.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS
Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Retired Master Electrician.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 1,406
If this is of any value, we have a mobile home in SW Florida and we are right next to the Gulf. When we button up, we set the thermostat at 80 degrees and the humidistat at 60 percent. The electric bill is telling us it doesn't run very often. When we are there and running the air, we have occasionally noticed condensation on the outside of the windows. Temperatures and humidity should be similar to your area. Because you are near water doesn't mean the humidity is 100 percent unless there is morning fog. Two years prior, we camped in the same area and very near the water and humidity never was an issue.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The electric bill is telling us it doesn't run very often. ... Two years prior, we camped in the same area and very near the water and humidity never was an issue.
They are boondocking, so they are not hooked up to electricity. Not having a/c for more than a couple of hours a day when they run the generator probably isn't going to take enough humidity out of the air.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
FOURWHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,299
Yeah I'd bet setting at 80 the compressor would run a lot less than even on the dry setting. Probably wouldn't cause much issue. I was surprised last night when even on dry setting I got condensation on the vents.

Humidity isn't 100 percent but my weather station has been reading in the high 80s and 90s at all times. We've had super heavy fog every morning.

In 4 years of camping I've never seen it like this, hence the question. That said the gulf and constant wind has basically been like a swamp cooler so even at higher temps its pretty comfy. Think just embracing the conditions are in order.

Thanks for all the input and perspective everybody
__________________
2016 Dynamax DX3 - Big Blue

https://fourwhl.com - Traveling the country in our DX3 for the next year
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #18
GM
 
bclemens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bristol, IN
Posts: 13,170
I get you...and we see this at shows in Florida all the time. The doors will be open with the A/C on and droplets collect on the vents.

As we all know, warm air holds more moisture than cool air. So, as the A/C is on, it passes across the outlet vents and makes them cold, when the warm air hits the cold A/C louvers, it can't hold the moisture and we get water on the vents. (just call me Mr. Wizard). I only mention this because the responses seem to have run off the rails.

So...to further clarify what you already know, it would be best to run it on dry mode (not cool)...get a dehumidifier that runs on wind power, or replace your volume of paper towels/TP with equal volume of desiccant.
__________________
Please READ the entire thread before posting to keep comments relevant.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Running Springs, CA
Posts: 882
Interesting reading. I have never experience this out westl.
__________________
2018 DX3 37TS Sunset
2019 Rubicon JLU
2018 RZR XP 1000 Ride Command
rskeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #20
GM
 
bclemens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bristol, IN
Posts: 13,170
It’s dry out west....you miss out on the 98% humidity in the summer, followed by the wonderful 20% humidity in the winter. It’s wonderful. I could power a small country with static electricity just getting dressed.
__________________

__________________
Please READ the entire thread before posting to keep comments relevant.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.


×