Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #1

Need some schooling… stranded on side of road

I’m sitting here in a rest area in VA because my batteries are dead. I need some tech stuff explained to me.

I was having problems with the AGS coming on sporadically. It was suggested to swap out the module (which I did) and it’s been working.

Last night I pulled over and twice during the night the generator kicked on. I had my orange LED lights left on (which apparently drained the chassis batteries) which I am assuming that is why the coach wouldn’t start this morning. Am I correct in my thinking?

I tried to start the generator but it was dead and even though the coach batteries were down to 10.x, I used the battery boost button to get the generator started. I don’t know how it did but it B A R E L Y started.

I’ve been sitting here for about 40 minutes with the generator running and it’s still only at 10.7 volts. The chassis batteries are at 9.5 ( they were at 9.3)

I’m a little concerned, I swear when my coach batteries got low before, the generator would bring them up to the 13 volt range in minutes. I’ve been here for 40 minutes and the coach batteries are only at 10.6 now.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #2

Just to be sure , I’ve got …

Inverter enabled
Search mode enabled
Charger enabled
Desired mode operating

Is there anything wrong with these settings? I’m not sure why after 50 minutes the coach batteries are only at 10.6?? Is it because the generator is charging the chassis batteries also?

I’ll keep you updated
Old 10-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Could be that the charging solenoid is bad. There are several threads on that...searching either BIRD or "Trombetta Solenoid"

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
Site Team

9.5V is very low and it will take some time to get them back up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Voltage.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	264778  

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Could be that the charging solenoid is bad. There are several threads on that...searching either BIRD or "Trombetta Solenoid"
Brian,

Where is the charging solenoid? Is it something I could perhaps tap and jar something like a starter solenoid on a car?

I’ve been sitting in this rest area for over two hours and still waiting to get confirmation from Goodsam’s “roadside” assistance.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 10-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
Brian,

Where is the charging solenoid? Is it something I could perhaps tap and jar something like a starter solenoid on a car?

I’ve been sitting in this rest area for over two hours and still waiting to get confirmation from Goodsam’s “roadside” assistance.

Thanks,

Mark
In the electrical bay.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #7

Day 1, hour 3

It’s been cold, Austin the frailest of our pets has succumbed to the cold. With no food, we are debating how to cook him to preserve our strength.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:46 AM   #8

Day 1 hour 4

The cold is unbearable. The frozen air fills your lungs like sub zero water in the artic. I don’t know how much longer we can hold out. We are still keeping our faith that help is on the way. Please pray for us
Old 10-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
In the electrical bay.
Can you be more specific? 😂

Can I jump it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5F689487-6F97-4557-814B-67E55B0DE6DE.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	264781  
Old 10-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Can you be more specific? 😂

Can I jump it?
you can jump the battery disconnect solenoid , often times when battery voltage gets to low it can not operate the solenoid so solenoid is most likely good
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Can you be more specific? ��
Sure, I searched "Trombetta"

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...id-225473.html

Old 10-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #12
Commercial Member

also

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-204165.html

Old 10-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
you can jump the battery disconnect solenoid , often times when battery voltage gets to low it can not operate the solenoid so solenoid is most likely good
I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing. I am trying to jump the charging solenoid that the generator charges the house batteries. It seems the house battery will not charge by the generator as after three hours of charging, it’s still at 10.6 V.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #14
llr

In your 1st post it sounds like neither battery is charging as 10.x on the coach battery is still really dead.

I think there is something else going on here. Are the 120v items working on gen? How about exhaust fan? If this work I would try to find the battery disconnect solenoids and jump them and maybe the charging solenoid.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #15

May be the can to the lower right center of your picture.

It should have (typically) four connections:
1. heavy battery cables going to the truck batteries
2. heavy battery cables going to the house batteries
3. solenoid activate wire
4. ground wire

You should be able to verify 1 and 2 by reading voltage to ground - match what you see on the display.

To "jump", presuming the house has good voltage, would be between 2 and 3. Would be best if you had a shore piece of wire with a 15 amp fuse, in case something goes wrong.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush
I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing. I am trying to jump the charging solenoid that the generator charges the house batteries. It seems the house battery will not charge by the generator as after three hours of charging, it’s still at 10.6 V.
Do the 120 volt outlets work?

I don't have a Dynamax but an onboard generator produces 120 volts AC. That powers a converter, or sometimes an inverter/charger, which produces 12 volts DC to run interior lights and charge batteries.

Don't know which you have but if your inside outlets are dead I'd be opening the generator cover and seeing if the circuit breakers are tripped.

My Onan generator has two breakers under the cover.

Some people with a separate converter also have simply had the plug fall out of the outlet.

You do have the house batteries connected, right?

Ray
Old 10-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #17

Do you have a meter? You should be getting over 13 volts out of your converter with he generator running.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #18

This sounds like either the generator breakers are tripped which you can check by plugging in a hair dryer or lamp into a standard house socket.....OR...

A bad 12V converter due to either a failure or blown fuse...which you can check by turning on the house lights or water pump or anything you know is 12V...
Or a bad solenoid or accidently flipped battery disconnect switch.
Your batteries are low enough that they may not be recoverable. But if and when you DO find how they got so FLAT....the will quickly rise to 13 to 14.5 Volts when you take a reading....this is the CONVERTER you are looking at and NOT the battery which will take the better part of a day to REALLY get to full again...and then it won't be because of the damage that's been done. Just don't turn off the genny when you see over 13 on the meter cause you will see that HOURS and HOURS before the battery is charged. Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #19
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
This sounds like either the generator breakers are tripped which you can check by plugging in a hair dryer or lamp into a standard house socket.....OR...

A bad 12V converter due to either a failure or blown fuse...which you can check by turning on the house lights or water pump or anything you know is 12V...
Your batteries are low enough that they may not be recoverable. But if and when you DO find how they got so FLAT....the will quickly rise to 13 to 14.5 Volts when you take a reading....this is the CONVERTER you are looking at and NOT the battery which will take the better part of a day to REALLY get to full again...and then it won't be because of the damage that's been done. Just don't turn off the genny when you see over 13 on the meter cause you will see that HOURS and HOURS before the battery is charged. Good luck!
The best thing you could do is get the coach running. Get it charging the truck battery’s. Then check out the overall problem.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post

This coach does not have a converter. It has an inverter/charger.