RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #1

New 2021 Isata 5 30FW 4x4 Typical Issues?

I just picked up our new Isata 5 30FW 4x4 on Saturday. Drove the 4 plus hours from Nashville one way to Atlanta area to get it from Gander RV in Buford GA. Since then been checking it out and finding early things that are great and some issues.

First the good so far. I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Limited with the Hemi and was prepared for a good but not great ride compared to the 1500. Have to say how impressed with the ride quality, lack of road noise, power and general handling I am. The exterior is sharp looking and keeping it in the family with ram makes it easier as the systems and controls are similar.

The tech that walked us through at Gander did a good job, though I am finding we are having a few questions that we didn’t ask at the time. He did show us how to extend the slides, etc which you would expect.

Now to the disappointments so far:

1) there are a number of quality items, screws part way out, the screws for the kitchen counter extension pulled out the first time it was used, leaks in the faucet and shower. None of these I can’t fix and kinda expected.

2) Parking brake light stays on half the time after I release the brake. Takes a number of times to engage and release to the get the light to go off. Have tested it and the brake is not engaged even if the light is on (pedal comes fully back to disengaged position). One time while driving the warning flashed that the parking break was on then turned off quickly. I read that this is common with the Ram and is just an adjustment with the tension on the cable.

Next 2 items are of concern:

3) The leveling jacks were extended when the tech walked us through things. He told us how the retract all and auto level works. Well we can get the jacks to lower in manual mode but the auto level will not work at all. We read that retracting all back up and trying it again can help, but still does not work at all. None of the lights below the power button are on telling us too steep a slope etc. We have power to the system as we can move the jacks manually and retract.

4) I noticed but never put 2 and 2 together, that when the tech was showing us how to pull the slide in (it was out when they brought us back) that it bound on the bed end and stopped moving for a minute then picked back up again. We were able to manually level the rig both front to back and left to right and tried to extend the slide. The slide would not extend completely and was getting hung up on the bed end.

Have to say that for a RV for the price I expected some fit and finish issues but not as many issues with slides and leveling jacks which I would think are critical items to work for an RV.

So is this typical? I will say that my dealings on a few questions like we didn’t receive any user manuals to Dynamax were responded to quickly (they told us the little RV attached to the keys is a USB, would have been nice if Gander RV would have told us that!
Jeff Isata5 30fw 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #2

First off, I would say there is no ďtypicalĒ issues. Everyone has different problems. We have been blessed in that we are on our second Dynamax over 3 1/2 years and have had no issues of any consequence.

I would say on both RVís, we stayed at the dealer a full 2 days going over every moving part and spending considerable time with the dealer staff to learn everything.

I would start first with the levelers as you need to level before you put the slide out. You can level manually with the arrow buttons and then to set the auto level null point you want to power off the Equalizer when you have it in the position you like. Hold down the Auto Level button and while holding it down, turn on the power. This sets the Auto Level position.

On the slide, review the ďstickyĒ at the top of this forum on slide issues. The slide is probably was concerns me the most as far as issues. I have just been lucky to have none. Sounds like your slide stops my be out of adjustment or there could be an issue with that bed end motor. Make sure the mattress is not catching on anything when you are extending. Try to get the slide closed again and then review the thread at the top of the forum.

The issue with the emergency brake pedal I can definitely solve. Get two large rubber bands and tie them together . Put one end on the emergency brake pedal and the other end around the turn signal arm. My RAM had the same issue and it on my list to have the RAM dealer adjust. When you go to the dealer, you may have the recall on the engine computer flash update. I just got my recall notice this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	826DD94B-7B30-4061-BDDA-DE0477CAF986.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	240205  
Old 09-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Isata5 30fw 4x4 View Post

1) there are a number of quality items, screws part way out, the screws for the kitchen counter extension pulled out the first time it was used, leaks in the faucet and shower. None of these I canít fix and kinda expected.

2) Parking brake light stays on half the time after I release the brake.

3) The leveling jacks were extended when the tech walked us through things. He told us how the retract all and auto level works. Well we can get the jacks to lower in manual mode but the auto level will not work at all. We read that retracting all back up and trying it again can help, but still does not work at all. None of the lights below the power button are on telling us too steep a slope etc. We have power to the system as we can move the jacks manually and retract.

4) I noticed but never put 2 and 2 together, that when the tech was showing us how to pull the slide in (it was out when they brought us back) that it bound on the bed end and stopped moving for a minute then picked back up again. We were able to manually level the rig both front to back and left to right and tried to extend the slide. The slide would not extend completely and was getting hung up on the bed end.

Have to say that for a RV for the price I expected some fit and finish issues but not as many issues with slides and leveling jacks which I would think are critical items to work for an RV.

So is this typical? I will say that my dealings on a few questions like we didnít receive any user manuals to Dynamax were responded to quickly (they told us the little RV attached to the keys is a USB, would have been nice if Gander RV would have told us that!
1. The kitchen counter extension is an interesting issue. The brackets have little holes that go through the "release mechanism". So they have to be big enough to bite, but small enough heads to clear the release mechanism. Many times, people not knowing how it goes up and down, they start wrenching on it.

2. Ram issue

3. It could likely be that the null point is not set. We provide a video on how to do this. If the batteries are drained, they can occasionally lose their setting, then it doesn't know what auto level is.

As for manuals...the little thumb drive is just back up. We ship ALL units with the manuals that are provided to us. Just most people don't want to carry all the paper manuals with them 24/7. So they dealer should provide the paper manuals as well.

We also offer them online. https://dynamaxcorp.com/owners#manuals
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #4

Two useful YouTube videos. You will want to subscribe to the Dynamax Channel.

Slide - https://youtu.be/ZD82FRfZDWI

Null Point - https://youtu.be/oyDDO-RudJA
Old 09-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to toshu
A rubber band on a brand new Isata 5 RAM.....scary.

2 days at a dealer with an overnight stay to learn and test systems makes sense.....except that in these times of Covid, I dont particularly want to spend that much time with a stranger......

Our unit was spotted on the assembly line last friday so we are looking forward to getting it soon, but I am concerned about the things that might be missed during PDI or we gloss over during the walkthrough.
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post

I would like to suggest that all new 2020 and 2021 30FW owners post their initial problems and solutions here so we know what areas/systems to focus on in our walk through.... not to bitch about them
While I understand the thought...I think that is a terrible idea.

I love the quote "comparison if the thief of joy"...and it has really come up very often recently (not just in RV's)

For instance, maybe someone had a small item that bothered them. 99% of the other people...maybe they didn't even notice it. But, now that it got pointed out "well by golly, I have an issue with it too now".

There are lots of real world RV examples I could give, but I think you get the gist. I am by no means trying to squash this...but anytime we're trying to focus on the negatives, it really ends up being just that. negative.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #7

With respect to #2, have had the same issue on my I5 which is 2016 chassis. Replaced parking brake pedal under warranty and still have it happen periodically. So I just pull the brake release several times and it will turn off.

One of life's mysteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Isata5 30fw 4x4 View Post
I just picked up our new Isata 5 30FW 4x4 on Saturday. Drove the 4 plus hours from Nashville one way to Atlanta area to get it from Gander RV in Buford GA. Since then been checking it out and finding early things that are great and some issues.

First the good so far. I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Limited with the Hemi and was prepared for a good but not great ride compared to the 1500. Have to say how impressed with the ride quality, lack of road noise, power and general handling I am. The exterior is sharp looking and keeping it in the family with ram makes it easier as the systems and controls are similar.

The tech that walked us through at Gander did a good job, though I am finding we are having a few questions that we didnít ask at the time. He did show us how to extend the slides, etc which you would expect.

Now to the disappointments so far:

1) there are a number of quality items, screws part way out, the screws for the kitchen counter extension pulled out the first time it was used, leaks in the faucet and shower. None of these I canít fix and kinda expected.

2) Parking brake light stays on half the time after I release the brake. Takes a number of times to engage and release to the get the light to go off. Have tested it and the brake is not engaged even if the light is on (pedal comes fully back to disengaged position). One time while driving the warning flashed that the parking break was on then turned off quickly. I read that this is common with the Ram and is just an adjustment with the tension on the cable.

Next 2 items are of concern:

So is this typical? I will say that my dealings on a few questions like we didnít receive any user manuals to Dynamax were responded to quickly (they told us the little RV attached to the keys is a USB, would have been nice if Gander RV would have told us that!
Old 09-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to toshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
While I understand the thought...I think that is a terrible idea.
Understood and post changed...

However, as I pointed out, due to health concerns I dont want to spend too much time ...and who knows...the dealer may not want to spend too much time with us!!
So the question is..... What are the key systems we should learn as well as test during the walk through that cause folks the most angst once they get home???
toshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
Understood and post changed...

However, as I pointed out, due to health concerns I dont want to spend too much time ...and who knows...the dealer may not want to spend too much time with us!!
So the question is..... What are the key systems we should learn as well as test during the walk through that cause folks the most angst once they get home???
No one seems to have grabbed this so let me try:

All major dependency systems - meaning systems that need something else to work before they will - so
Slides
Jacks
Generator: start, charge. It should take over when shore power is disconnected
Inverter powers 110V
A/Cs
Plumbing - hot water, water pump, obvious leaks in cabinets if there is water in the tank. Other wise get some put in. You only need a few gallons.
Lav flush
Main door fit
Black and Grey water slide valves. Dealer may have prepped the Black water so be sure to check before you pull the valve
All lights and switches
Precision Systems control access
OTA antenna and TV/matrix interface
Propane furnace ignition, hot water and cooker
Fridge cooling (take a thermometer and put it in the fridge when you start)
Tire pressures (take a gauge with you)
Truck fluid levels and warning lights off
Exterior truck switched or powered lights
Video cameras
Storage doors all latch securely
Step operation - no hesitation

If you read the manuals for these systems before you arrive, the dealer can stand by while you run the tests and then address any faults that turn up. The dealer should have done all this before asking you to take delivery but with so many different types and perhaps a lack of enthusiasm some will be abbreviated so you need to do it yourself.

Have a Plan B if the coach fails and you need to leave it with the dealer for another day. Know what motels are in the area and accommodation availability. Dealer should provide transport.
Isata 5 28SS on order
Various Airstream TT and Winnebago MH
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote