Old 09-15-2020, 01:12 AM   #1
Jul

New Dynamax 3 Rocking & Roll段ni

Help me with this one. I have been reading these posts and think I already have what you池e talking about. I知 not a mechanic so bare with me. I just bought a new 2020 C class Dynamax Isata 3 in May (2019 chassis). Had a Ford 350 C class before since 2000 so not new at this. When I pull into a gas station or drive an uneven road the Isada 3 rocks pretty bad and puts out pops and cracking noises like the shocks/springs need greasing or something. I thought this would go away as I drove it out but I知 at 10,000 miles and it sounds worse. I look underneath and the two rear shocks say Bilstein. I look in the sales brochure and it says I have both an 砥pgraded Hellwig Rear Sway Bar and 釘ilstien Gas-Charged rear Shocks. The Mercedes chassis on this was built in 2018. You think the Bilsteins need a recharge? Also, anything else I can do to stabilize this thing? With my old Ford C class I added a couple more leafs to the springs and it made it a lot better. I知 sure if I did this now Mercedes would cancel the warranty.
Jul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul View Post
Help me with this one. I have been reading these posts and think I already have what you池e talking about. I知 not a mechanic so bare with me. I just bought a new 2020 C class Dynamax Isata 3 in May (2019 chassis). Had a Ford 350 C class before since 2000 so not new at this. When I pull into a gas station or drive an uneven road the Isada 3 rocks pretty bad and puts out pops and cracking noises like the shocks/springs need greasing or something. I thought this would go away as I drove it out but I知 at 10,000 miles and it sounds worse. I look underneath and the two rear shocks say Bilstein. I look in the sales brochure and it says I have both an 砥pgraded Hellwig Rear Sway Bar and 釘ilstien Gas-Charged rear Shocks. The Mercedes chassis on this was built in 2018. You think the Bilsteins need a recharge? Also, anything else I can do to stabilize this thing? With my old Ford C class I added a couple more leafs to the springs and it made it a lot better. I知 sure if I did this now Mercedes would cancel the warranty.
Call a company called Sumo Springs. They will help you purchase what you need to help with stabilizing your coach. There not expensive and not difficult to install.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul View Post
Just about every time I have seen this, it was the Helwig sway bar not being torqued properly. The bar can slide in the bushings.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Just about every time I have seen this, it was the Helwig sway bar not being torqued properly. The bar can slide in the bushings.
Yes, I forgot about that. That痴 probably his noise. I had to re-torque mine.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:36 AM   #5

I owned the Isata 3 for several years and added the Sumo Springs to lessen the rolling on uneven surfaces just like you described. They helped a lot and is very low cost and easy addition for front and back. Just replaces the OEM rubber bump stops.

Call these guys and they will make sure you get the right parts.

https://www.supersprings.com/instruc...SSR-338-47.pdf

And certainly check the sway bar as suggested. The Bilsteins should be fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA5AE90E-9D8A-48B4-9024-EFCF882F0BCF.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	239170   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E9B6A97-DA62-4C55-9F3D-A919CCD9D8EE.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	239171  
Old 09-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #6

I have had the same problem since day 1 (I have a 2019 ISATA 3 on a 2017 Chassis). The banging and clanging as I role out of campgrounds, gas stations, etc. Very annoying. I installed Sumos with minimal improvement. I had a mechanic check the torque on the Helwig anti sway bar. He indicated it was fine. No change. Still looking for a solution. This is really the only complaint I have regarding the ISATA 3.
Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Motorized GM

I posted something a while back, also showing how we added washers to prevent the bar from sliding in the bushings.

I think the Helwig instructions mention that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 135007254 Installation.pdf (1.21 MB, 58 views)
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 09-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I posted something a while back, also showing how we added washers to prevent the bar from sliding in the bushings.

I think the Helwig instructions mention that.
Yes you did, and I copied the document and took it with me to the mechanic who checked my installation. He said the installation and the torque were OK. Maybe I need to check it again?
Old 09-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #9

Here is a picture of my installation. Does this look correct?
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
Motorized GM

looks like the washer is in there.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
Bigwave

Mine broke at the brackets. Called Helwig and they sent me some replacements to install
bigwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #12

Had exact same issue when my I3 was new. Retighting to sway bar fixed it.
NearDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwave View Post
Mine broke at the brackets. Called Helwig and they sent me some replacements to install
Ditto, did the same and OK now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hellwig.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	239198  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #14

My 2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W also came with the Hellwig Sway Bar, and “clunked” when going into driveways, etc. During a service visit at a MB Sprinter dealer, I mentioned the noise, and they checked the bar. This dealer handles a lot of commercially used Sprinters, and installs the Hellwig bar on many of those. They told me the brackets were the Mercedes ones, not the Hellwigs, and this was the cause of the knocks. They made a slight mod on the brackets and used different bolts, and this solved the problem. Apparently it is a common mistake to put the Hellwig bars on the existing MB brackets, although the Hellwig bars come with the replacement brackets. I do not have the Sumo’s, but I have read that the Sumo’s may stiffen the ride a bit... the ride is already way stiff enough, so we take it extra slow going into those driveways, and otherwise enjoy the way “Moose” handles.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Ditto, did the same and OK now.
Does your picture show the location where you tightened the brackets and solved your problem? I ask because that is a different location from the extra washer issue.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:41 PM   #16

Our bracket broke too, exactly as in the picture above.
The mounting bolts had come loose causing the fracture.

Called Helwig and they promptly send me a new one at no charge.

2017 Isata 3
Radar224 is offline   Reply With Quote