Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #1

New Dynamax isata 5 DS.

We just pulled the trigger on a new isata 5 DS and I have a few questions. Any comments or advice from current owners would be appreciated.

We currently have a Forest River Forester built on the Mercedes chassis and the A/C is very loud even on low. In addition it struggles to keep up when it it is above 85 and sunny. How do you find the dual units in this coach?

I have read on the boards that the factory suspension is very adequate on the isata 5. Do you find this to be the case?

The brochures say that the hitch has a 1,000 lb tongue weight. Has anyone carried anything heavy such as a small motorcycle on a hitch mounted carrier? I know this adds to the cargo carried.

Our unit has the front entertainment center but it appears the TV would be difficult to watch from the couch. Any comments here?

This will be the first coach we have owned that has a residential refrigerator. How long will it run without external power or the generator? We do have the solar panels. Should we add the addition 2 batteries? I'm assuming the coach batteries charge from the alternator while the motor is running.

Speaking of the generator, how loud is it inside the coach?

The brochure says the radio system is Navigation capable. Has anyone upgraded this or did you just buy a separate GPS?

Any other comments or advice?

We purchased the Forester in June of last year and put close to 10,000 miles on it. It was a great little coach and it did exactly what we asked of it but it didn't take long before we realized that we would like to have more room. We are excited about the next step in our adventure.
BMW Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #2

Congrats on your new Isata 5! We hope to purchase the 32' in a few months.
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
A/C is very loud even on low. In addition it struggles to keep up when it it is above 85 and sunny. How do you find the dual units in this coach?

Our unit has the front entertainment center but it appears the TV would be difficult to watch from the couch. Any comments here?

The brochure says the radio system is Navigation capable. Has anyone upgraded this or did you just buy a separate GPS?.
dual AC should be a huge improvement. Our primary AC is Atwood (although they were out of stock for a few months) and they are very efficient and quiet.

TV is a catch 22. You can open it..but to get 55, it had to be centered, if you open the door maybe it can be angled a bit? The normal cab over TV is only 32", but mounted on the far wall on a swing arm. So better position, but smaller. Engineering says we can squeeze a 50 on a swing arm, but in most cases people want the bed up there or they don't.

The Uconnect radio requires a module from a Ram dealer for GPS. So far I only know of one person who has purchased it. I liked the Uconnect in my Jeep, but typically use the TomTom gps on my phone, just because I am familiar with it.

I have not checked (I need to do that) but also on my jeep, the turns show up on my speedo. I don't think the Ram has the digital dash, but that would be extra incentive for OEM gps.

Enjoy your rig. We're here daily if you have questions.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
Commercial Member

PS. To open the TV door, you push IN on the little black lever on the lower right side, which releases the TV door. Lots of storage back there.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:52 AM   #5

Thank you Brian. We have the Jeep Wrangler that we purchased to flat tow behind the Forester. I like the U connect as well. It has functioned flawlessly in the Jeep and that is somewhat rare for this type of technology. Thank you for your responses. Needless to say, we are excited to pick up the new unit.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #6

We also have Uconnect navigation in our Wrangler and it is much better than many of the other nav systems that I have seen especially the one in my Honda Pilot. I do like the nav directions that are displayed in the speedo area and would miss that aspect of it however I'd seriously consider getting the nav module in the Isata 5.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #7

I also have a Jeep Wrangler with the Uconnect System. Just be aware that the company that supplies the updates for the maps only updates every couple of years. I was befuddled when I looked at the spec page on my Uconnect GPS and saw that my map date was 2012. The Jeep is a 2014. I did more research to find the name of the mapping company, then I called them. They did not release another updated map until 2016. I believe the name of the mapping company is NavTech and they are in Utah. If you have the newer Uconnect system (like our Grand) it connects directly to the internet and those maps "might" ? update more often but don't count on it.

The GPS units that are optioned in vehicles do not have Garmin mapping systems and are not as thorough and detailed or as frequently updated as Garmin or any phone ap.

Just think about all of the new roads that are built in a 1 year time span, much less a 4 year period. I wouldn't get too excited or disappointed if the new Isata's do not have the GPS module.
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

The GPS in my Wrangler is a Garmin so no problem getting updates.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #9

I have pretty much decided to buy the Garmin model specific for RVs. It also has an option for a wireless rear view camera which I think I might be able to rig up for viewing in the rear without being in reverse.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
The GPS in my Wrangler is a Garmin so no problem getting updates.
My interface is Garmin but the mapping is not. I read all of the fine print on mine. Maybe they changed the mapping supplier since 2014.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #11

Well I assumed that since it was Garmin that was the software they were using. Mine is a 2017. I did notice that the actual maps do not look like the other Garmin GPSs I have used so you might be correct.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #12

Quote:
I have pretty much decided to buy the Garmin model specific for RVs. It also has an option for a wireless rear view camera which I think I might be able to rig up for viewing in the rear without being in reverse.

IMHO I think this is what I would do also. Smart choice. The active rear view camera seems to be an issue with the standard Uconnect system as well. Everyone that has bought the new I-5's have been scrambling trying to figure out how to turn the camera on while in motion!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer1016 View Post
. Everyone that has bought the new I-5's have been scrambling trying to figure out how to turn the camera on while in motion!

Easy to do.. I have explained it a few times on this forum. Merely a software fix.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #14

I have the F550 chassis now and we installed the Kenwood double dinn head unit with Garmin software and active rear view camera. We were able to connect out camera to one of the factory upfitter switches on the dash so anytime I want my camera turned on I just flip that switch and it goes live while traveling or parked. It also comes on automatically when I shift into reverse (which is normal) I am not sure I would would not want to have that option.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #15

This would be the first Class C for us. Are there any sat reception issues with a windshield mounted portable GPS due to the cabover? Seems like there would be.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Easy to do.. I have explained it a few times on this forum. Merely a software fix.
Kenny, does the Ram come with the upfitter switches on the dash similar to Ford?
If not, how do you activate the camera while in motion?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #17

my antenna is routed inside the wall of the RV and is mounted on the roof. I had that issue when i owned my truck camper and had to buy an external antenna in order to use sat radio but my GPS always worked fine.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer1016 View Post
Kenny, does the Ram come with the upfitter switches on the dash similar to Ford?
If not, how do you activate the camera while in motion?

There is a company in Europe that wrote a software " hack" or " jailbreak" for the uconnect software.

It disables all the speed lockouts and allows for camera display in motion.

I had it on my 2500, and even added a front cam.
It allows for viewing of all cameras at any time. I could hit the " back" button to cycle through the cameras.
The front cam came on automatically below 20 kph.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #19

Kenny I looked at your post and I am a bit confused which is my normal state of mind as I have gotten older. Do I need to purchase anything additional to do the software fix?