Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #21

Just a word of warning, when using balancing beads. Wear eye protection when removing valve cores. The beads can blow out of the stem at enough force to cause eye damage. Also the beads become charged with static electricity while moving and stick to the tire surface even in the 10:00 - 2:00 position. If the tires get filled with air that is wet, it will cause the beads to clump after the RV sits for more than a couple of weeks. The clumping beads will self balance again after several miles of use, but might feel like unbalanced tires for the first few miles. I used them in my DQ320 and was happy with them, but had a couple of valve stem issues that were resolved with a quick blast of air into the tire. I believe my next coach will have Centramatic balancers instead of beads.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Another vote for Centramatic balancers...not much that can go wrong.

Rich
Agree... had to review the beads from my front tires when we installed the retro bands.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:39 PM   #23

x2 on Centrematics. The only issue I had is I had to gently grind (enlarge) the center opening around the hub in order to get them on. But seems like a no brainer compared to internal tire beads.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbaldguy View Post
Just a word of warning, when using balancing beads. Wear eye protection when removing valve cores. The beads can blow out of the stem at enough force to cause eye damage. Also the beads become charged with static electricity while moving and stick to the tire surface even in the 10:00 - 2:00 position. If the tires get filled with air that is wet, it will cause the beads to clump after the RV sits for more than a couple of weeks. The clumping beads will self balance again after several miles of use, but might feel like unbalanced tires for the first few miles. I used them in my DQ320 and was happy with them, but had a couple of valve stem issues that were resolved with a quick blast of air into the tire. I believe my next coach will have Centramatic balancers instead of beads.
That made me envision tire techs shooting at each other from across the shop.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Do you know if the tire shop used the speciality filtered cores with the balancing beads?

Most of the time the beads will cone with these special valve cores.

https://www.amazon.com/TyreBeads-Tir.../dp/B00LTCL0H0
Are they using beads because they don't have a balancing machine large enough?
Old 01-09-2022, 05:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
Are they using beads because they don't have a balancing machine large enough?
No... beads are just a dynamic option for handling the balance needs as the tire wears or if a weight is lost.
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, tire, tires, weight