Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #1

Newbie with questions

Hi. I have never owned an RV, butI have been looking at RV’s for several months (retired, just my wife and 2 Doxies). Have visited at least 10 dealers within a 2-hour radius, have looked at numerous units, both Class A and C.

I realize there are trade-offs that have to be made. Also, I live in an HOA, and due to the length of my driveway, I cannot have anything over 27 feet (cant protrude over sidewalk when in driveway).

I am very impressed with the Itasca 3. They seem to be the units with the least problems and the best value. There are several 2018’s priced around $98K. I can find a used 2016 for $88k.
A few questions:

It seams that with only a $10K difference, the new one is better due to the 2 year warranty??

It appears the 3 has stabilizing jacks but not leveling jacks? Are leveling jacks important, especially for putting the slides out? Refridge running properly? Anything else??

I realize this is only an estimate, but how much do you think it would depreciate in 5 years? Sell to a Private buyer versus Dealer?

I am NOT handy (minor only!!), is this an issue? (Why spend THOUSANDS of dollars and Expect to have a Break-in to fix the small things???....Crazy!!)

Itasca versus the Winnebago View?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks…..Dan

Also, very impressed with this forum.....a production manager actually answering and responding to comments!!!!
DanM33573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #2

Our 2018 isata 3 came with leveling jacks, not stabilizing ones.
We bought one with full slide and couch. Works out perfect for wife and I and our 2 labs, plus if kids come to visit, couch makes into a queen bed. We also got one with overhead bunk. You can store a ton of stuff up there when on a long trip.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM33573 View Post

I am very impressed with the Itasca 3. They seem to be the units with the least problems and the best value. There are several 2018’s priced around $98K. I can find a used 2016 for $88k.
A few questions:

It seams that with only a $10K difference, the new one is better due to the 2 year warranty??

It appears the 3 has stabilizing jacks but not leveling jacks? Are leveling jacks important, especially for putting the slides out? Refridge running properly? Anything else??

I realize this is only an estimate, but how much do you think it would depreciate in 5 years? Sell to a Private buyer versus Dealer?

Itasca versus the Winnebago View?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks…..Dan

Also, very impressed with this forum.....a production manager actually answering and responding to comments!!!!
Welcome to the RV world. A couple comments.
1. You are looking for a comparison between a Itasca and Winnibago. Neither of those products are Dyanamax products. It would be better for you to go to those forums for your information.

2. Brian Clemens is the General Manager. A Production Manager would report to the GM.

3. RV's have a wild depreciation. I would go to NADA guides to get your depreciation estimate.

4. Leveling Jacks allow you to setup on uneven ground. That would be the preferred option.

5. Get the new Itasca unless the used one is at least 50% cheaper.

Good Luck with your decisions. Enjoy whatever you do.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
Commercial Member

lol...I think he meant Isata 3.

PS. The Itasca name brand is no more. They used to have a model under the Winnebago brand and then they basically cloned that under the Itasca brand. Everyone preferred winnebago, so they would do cool things for the dealers on the Itasca..make it a little nicer, more options whatever. So then their big Winnebago dealers would complain. So they would add that back to the Winnebago and then the Itasca guys would complain about not having anything to separate their brands (rinse, repeat)

Eventually they learned from Thor (who I think has 8 cloned Sprinters) and just put them ALL under the Winnebago name plate and dropped Itasca. So instead of Itasca Navion and the Winnebago View...you just have the Winnebago Navion and Winnebago View. Now they have two dealers selling the same rig instead of one. Marketing 101.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
lol...I think he meant Isata 3.

PS. The Itasca name brand is no more. They used to have a model under the Winnebago brand and then they basically cloned that under the Itasca brand. Everyone preferred winnebago, so they would do cool things for the dealers on the Itasca..make it a little nicer, more options whatever. So then their big Winnebago dealers would complain. So they would add that back to the Winnebago and then the Itasca guys would complain about not having anything to separate their brands (rinse, repeat)

Eventually they learned from Thor (who I think has 8 cloned Sprinters) and just put them ALL under the Winnebago name plate and dropped Itasca. So instead of Itasca Navion and the Winnebago View...you just have the Winnebago Navion and Winnebago View. Now they have two dealers selling the same rig instead of one. Marketing 101.
Yes. I really knew he meant Isata, but I thought that this was the best way for him to be sensitive to the differences and be accurate so we don't have to assume. BTW, thanks for the insight on brands.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

There have been quite a few upgrades since the 2016 model. Better water heater, larger kitchen window, nicer steering wheel with built in controls. Some weight has been taken out giving a little more ccc. Several more option choices.
As far as the Auto Levelers go, I think it's one of the best options available.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #7

Buy a used one, have it inspected. Unless you are near the factory the warranty is pretty much useless. A 2-3 year old unit should have most issues worked out. Buy it off season for the best deal.
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #8

Always consider Cargo Carrying Capacity

With any of the Mercedes based motorhomes (MHs) one concern will likely be CCC [or sometimes seen as Occupant Cargo Carrying Capacity - OCCC]. Spend some time learning about weights before you purchase, it will be time well spent. Also, plan on weighing your new MH at the CAT scales at least once while on your way to a campground. It’s always surprising how all the stuff can add up.

When we were shopping, we set a minimum of 1000 CCC for any unit we considered. That cut out a lot of the Mercedes based units.

I have seen some Mercedes MHs with a CCC below 600 lbs. By the time you add a full tank of water for dry camping, 2 people, a dog, groceries, clothes and camping stuff you’re over the gross weight for the vehicle. For us, those low OCCC were unusable as a MH.

But looking around, we regularly saw Winnebago View/Navion 24G MHs with 1200+ lbs of CCC. Our Isata 3FW came with 1000 OCCC, but we did not have the rear stabilizers installed. We plan on having 4-point aluminum levelers installed [less than 100 lbs] whenever the manufacturer is ready.

Happy camping and best wishes with your search, it’s a fun part of buying.

Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #9

Yes, I did mean Isata!!! My bad!
Thanks all for your comments
D
DanM33573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags