Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #1

Non-transferrable warranty?

We are buying a 2019 Isata 3 with 9500 miles and were told that the 2 year coach warranty is non-transferrable. I find that a bit surprising, and wonder if I was given the correct information? I was told that the drivetrain 3 yr/36,000 warranty was transferrable. Should the seller, who was also the original dealer, provide a service record? Thanks for any info or insight!
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

That's my understanding as well that the dynamax warranty is for the original owner only
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #3

You should insist on the service records and any warranty claims filed. The Mercedes warranty is transferable, but technically not the Dynamax warranty. If there are unsatisfied warranty claims, I would contact Dynamax to insure they will still be honored.

Don’t give them anymore funds until you are completely satisfied.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Let the Buyer Beware. Often a new low miles coach either had a laundry list of issues being passed on at substantial savings to you or the people bought didn't like and took a bath on a consignment or trade.

Insist on all paperwork, make sure the dealer fixes any issues and warranty prior to purchase.

These are good coaches one of the best out there.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
We are buying a 2019 Isata 3 with 9500 miles and were told that the 2 year coach warranty is non-transferrable. I find that a bit surprising, and wonder if I was given the correct information? I was told that the drivetrain 3 yr/36,000 warranty was transferrable. Should the seller, who was also the original dealer, provide a service record? Thanks for any info or insight!
Just realize that the service record will not contain any records for service not done at that dealer. Warranty claims maybe.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Team

I don't know of any major RV brand that has a transferable warranty.
Jayco was one of the last that did but they dropped that about 7 years ago.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #7

OK...here's the low down if anyone's interested. The I3 is exceptionally nice and in great shape...heck, it's darn near brand spankin'! Only one small warranty issue, which was a minor paint chip, and it was resolved at the outset. This was purchased by the son for his 80 year old parents. It was delivered from Michigan to California, taken on a trip to Utah and one to Florida. The dad had a stroke at some point and couldn't really remember the essentials involved in operating a motorhome so it ended up back at the dealership. The price was fantastic, it's in excellent shape, and we close early next month when we return from a vacation. One thing that did stand out to me was the CCC. I was prepared for something in the 900 pound range, thanks to having read a bunch of threads here. Nope...603 lbs/274 kilos. I was assured that in the 100 or so Isata 3's this dealership has sold, not once has there been an issue with excess weight. I will be careful though. It does have the diesel generator (+ 20-30 lbs.), aluminum wheels to offset some of that, solar panels and a satellite tracking unit. It has no over cab bunk, a dinette and no forward table between the seats and no self leveling. I can't figure where the extra 300 lbs. came from?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #8

Thanks to more reading on the forum, and specifically to a post and picture from milkman55 regarding OCCC, I was able to correctly calculate mine, which places it right in the ol' ballpark of 900lbs. I was also able to indirectly educate my salesman, who didn't actually understand the interpretation of weights as listed on the door post. Specifically in regards to the fresh water allowance. So thanks to milkman55!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #9

If you look on your driver side door frame, there should be a white sticker that does that math for you adding the water weight back to get your true CCC and shows it in lbs vs kg. Glad you figured it out. We have never had any concerns about our loaded weight. It is just the DW and myself. We try and not pack too heavy. We have the satellite, solar, aluminum wheels and no diesel gen, so we saved a few lbs by going propane on the gen.

The maneuverability of the Sprinter is well worth the trade off on CCC. Drives like an SUV.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #10

Only saw the yellow sticker when we viewed it yesterday, but that's all I was looking for at the time. Right now I'm just excited to pick it up in February, and for the familiarization, which we were told will take most of the day. Our '03 Minnie Winnie was like a flip phone compared to a new smartphone and the sophistication of the Isata 3. But I'm fairly tech savvy, and I'm pretty handy and self reliant, so I'm looking forward to the process. That's the reason I was told that this I3 found it's way back to the dealer so soon, as the owners were in their eighties, he'd had a stroke, and they just weren't comfortable on their own making everything work properly. The information on weight was appreciated!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #11

When I purchased a used Class A that was 3 years old, the dealer said No remaining warranty except the drivetrain (Cummins/Allison) which did transfer and was for 5 years from date of original purchase. Dealer did offer an extended warranty that only covered non-drivetrain equipment. It was reasonable a price, so we took it. You might check if you can get the same.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #12

An extended warranty had been mentioned by the salesman and will be checked out, for sure! Thanks
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
An extended warranty had been mentioned by the salesman and will be checked out, for sure! Thanks
Probably a 3rd party extended warranty. CAREFULLY read the fine print, BEFORE purchasing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #14

Huh???

I have never bought an RV under warranty (new), but it is incredulous that I can buy a $17,000 KIA and get :

5-year/60,000 mile limited basic warranty
5-year/100,000 mile limited anti-perforation warranty
5-year/60,000 mile roadside assistance plan

The warranty period begins on the Date of First Service. ..... Any remaining portion of any warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners.

And if I buy a 3 month old $250000 Dynamax,the warranty is not transferable???

This just isn't right.....KIA has more confidence in their product than Dynamax?

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #15
Site Team

The only thing that the RV Industry and the Auto Industry have in common, is that they both sell things on wheels at dealerships.
Other than that, they couldn't be more different.
So comparing the two will just lead to frustration.
Plus remember that there is no foreign competition in the RV Industry, like there was in the Auto Industry. And there probably never will be.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythplaced View Post
I have never bought an RV under warranty (new), but it is incredulous that I can buy a $17,000 KIA and get :

5-year/60,000 mile limited basic warranty
5-year/100,000 mile limited anti-perforation warranty
5-year/60,000 mile roadside assistance plan

The warranty period begins on the Date of First Service. ..... Any remaining portion of any warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners.

And if I buy a 3 month old $250000 Dynamax,the warranty is not transferable???

This just isn't right.....KIA has more confidence in their product than Dynamax?
Hmmm, don't see a single Kia in your listing of rolling stock!
I5PhilGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
Hmmm, don't see a single Kia in your listing of rolling stock!
It belongs to my adult daughter. 2008 KIA Rio Sport, A gift for her High School graduation bought used in 2012.

And the warranty was transferred (but we have never needed it in the 6 years she's had it).

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #18

My dealer quoted $3,750 for 7 year coverage thru "Repair Care", and their "coach coverage" plan. It says that it covers over 300 items. My head hurts from trying to read all the fine print, exclusions, special circumstances and so forth. I ended up sipping bourbon. It being that our MH was put in service in May of '18, and with the hope that should any issues arise with any of the various components the manufacturers themselves might very well honor their own warranties, I'll not pursue an EW at this time. I noticed a comprehensive list of those companies in a sticky thread, which is another fine attribute of this forum and the contributions of Bclemons.

Tags
warranty