Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2022, 11:20 AM   #1

NOT HAPPY with my Isata 5 right now

Not thrilled. Not one bit. So we decide to go to the outer banks for the 4th of July. I'm running a 2018 35DB that I bought from a reputable private seller who took excellent care of the coach.

On the way, I hear a boom. I stop to check it out. The sliding door to the back of the bathroom has fallen. Not off the track, but the entire track itself just came right out of the damn ceiling. So I spend an hour fixing that, drilling new holes etc and hanging the track again. So off we go. What next? I had to drop one off, so after I do that, I turn on the fan in the bathroom and the max air fan basically disintegrates on itself and the arm breaks while the fan is running. So that's hosed now.

On top of that, an unexpected tropical storm started and is heading our way. During some of the rain, and after it stopped, I notice water leaking out of the door frame. Upon further inspection it appears to be running down the wall on the inside, falling on the door frame and then leaking inside falling down the screen door. GREAT.... I hope it's not too major, but since it's coming down the wall it needs to be fixed ASAP. Can't wait for the labor on that one.

And then, at the awning, I notice a big crack. I can't tell if it's paint or structural. But I'll attach a picture anyway. or a couple....

So here we are. I've been running RV's for 30 years and the only one that never broke on me was my Palomino Puma. Stick and tin. That thing was rock solid.

After spending 150k on this thing, I would hope that it would be a bit more structurally sound than this.
jthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #2

Pics

And here are the pics of the crack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E69936DB-35CE-40AA-B953-C14370C7D27A.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	275839   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E122F33-60C3-41B5-A785-F9F94118BFF4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	275840  
Old 07-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #3

Leak inside

Water leak coming from down the inside of the wall and leaking off the door frame 🤬
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A98E37DE-664D-436A-9B92-4EC0465A88B1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	275841  
Old 07-02-2022, 12:08 PM   #4

Closer look
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D14664EA-DBAC-4005-BC65-45CA60CE5AA0.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	275844  
Old 07-02-2022, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorpe View Post
Closer look
Go back to seller . since unit is 4 yrs old he may have had issues and is not so reputable
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #6

Check the roof. It sounds like you might have a leak around the bathroom skylight or a vent. Your main clue is the water leaking from the top of the door frame. There are no plumbing lines up there and the only way water can get to that location is the roof seals.
The awning might be from a roof leak also. Water does travel and cause damage in other locations.

As Mr.M said, if you can, go back to your reputable seller and ask what maintenance they did and if there were previous problems. The previous owner might not have checked the roof seams and didn't know there was a leak.
Good luck.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip. I’m about to get up there right now. I did talk to him. They said there was a leak in the coach in that same area when it was new. They had it fixed by the dealer. But it could’ve happened again. And he told me exactly where it was so we will see. Thanks guys
Old 07-04-2022, 04:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Not thrilled. Not one bit. So we decide to go to the outer banks for the 4th of July. I'm running a 2018 35DB that I bought from a reputable private seller who took excellent care of the coach.

On the way, I hear a boom. I stop to check it out. The sliding door to the back of the bathroom has fallen. Not off the track, but the entire track itself just came right out of the damn ceiling. So I spend an hour fixing that, drilling new holes etc and hanging the track again. So off we go. What next? I had to drop one off, so after I do that, I turn on the fan in the bathroom and the max air fan basically disintegrates on itself and the arm breaks while the fan is running. So that's hosed now.

On top of that, an unexpected tropical storm started and is heading our way. During some of the rain, and after it stopped, I notice water leaking out of the door frame. Upon further inspection it appears to be running down the wall on the inside, falling on the door frame and then leaking inside falling down the screen door. GREAT.... I hope it's not too major, but since it's coming down the wall it needs to be fixed ASAP. Can't wait for the labor on that one.

And then, at the awning, I notice a big crack. I can't tell if it's paint or structural. But I'll attach a picture anyway. or a couple....

So here we are. I've been running RV's for 30 years and the only one that never broke on me was my Palomino Puma. Stick and tin. That thing was rock solid.

After spending 150k on this thing, I would hope that it would be a bit more structurally sound than this.
Hey jthorpe. I have a 2014 Lexington that I bought used in 2018. There is not one system on that rig that I haven't had to work on. AC crapping out in Florida, slide-out gear breaking, cracked/leaking skylight, leak between cab and coach, transfer switch, broken door lock, black tank flush valve, awning replacement..... you get the drift. I love the RV but it requires maintenance and youtube videos can provide many helpful tips. Once you catch up on the fixes you will hopefully think better of your rig. Good luck. BTW, find yourself a reliable mobile rv tech for things you can't handle. Dealers will usually disappoint.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #9

This is from another threat that’s too old to respond to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I would pull the black screw cap in the awning rail. Pull some of the screws IN the awning rail and check those.

You can seal all over that...but the screw cap runs the entire length...so water can get inside that (as it is not designed to be water tight) and sit inside there on the screw heads (especially if you seal around it as it can't get out). Some, if they do not hit backer, can vibrate back out or get lose if it is just aluminum.

That would be my first look. Looks like the end of the screw cap is sealed for sure.
Sorry to hijack this old thread but I’ve been having a leak that’s coming into my door not from the outside but down the wall on the inside. I pulled my rubber backing off and I have several rusted screws there. One of them even broke in half when I backed it out. I didn’t even turn it hard.

When I put the screws back in. Can I seal them? Like put adhesive around them and then screw them in? How do I get that part from leaking?
Old 07-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Yes, you can seal the holes there.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Yes, you can seal the holes there.
Thank you. Hopefully thatíll do the trick
Old 07-05-2022, 10:31 PM   #12

Quote:
This is from another threat thatís too old to respond to:

Sorry to hijack this old thread but Iíve been having a leak thatís coming into my door not from the outside but down the wall on the inside. I pulled my rubber backing off and I have several rusted screws there. One of them even broke in half when I backed it out. I didnít even turn it hard.

When I put the screws back in. Can I seal them? Like put adhesive around them and then screw them in? How do I get that part from leaking?

Also donít seal the ends of rubber cover strip. Need a path for water to drain. I trim the end then folded under.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:50 PM   #13

Pulled the entire rubber cover strip off. Found 10 rusted screws. two of them rusted so bad that they broke and i had to re-drill the holes. I replaced all of the rusted screws with new ones, and sealed them this time. I then removed ALL of the screws on both sides and sealed them as well, then put new rubber cover strip on. So far we have had three heavy rains and I've run the AC for hours with no more leaks. While I'm happy that the leak is gone, I'm still not impressed with the build quality of the gutters etc.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Pulled the entire rubber cover strip off. Found 10 rusted screws. two of them rusted so bad that they broke and i had to re-drill the holes. I replaced all of the rusted screws with new ones, and sealed them this time. I then removed ALL of the screws on both sides and sealed them as well, then put new rubber cover strip on. So far we have had three heavy rains and I've run the AC for hours with no more leaks. While I'm happy that the leak is gone, I'm still not impressed with the build quality of the gutters etc.

I had to do the same in my 17 when I replaced the rubber cover strip. consider it part of maintenance just like caulking the roof. Donít seal the ends as rain water needs to drain. I folded the ends back and tucked them under.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
I had to do the same in my 17 when I replaced the rubber cover strip. consider it part of maintenance just like caulking the roof. Donít seal the ends as rain water needs to drain. I folded the ends back and tucked them under.
Exactly. I will be checking ALL of that every three months or so just like I do the roof. In the next year or so, I am going to go ahead and get FlexArmor roof....